NeoGeo AES Mods

fisk

n00b
Hey guys, Ive been browsing the web for a while now, looking for info on modding an AES console and turning up very little results. Rather, results tailored for my needs. Maybe I'm just being picky. What I am trying to do is mod my console for either Svideo or component/RGB and stereo audio. I have seen discussions on both video formats and I guess I am okay with going either way. What I need to know now is do I need an encoder? Like if I was going to make a supergun?Or do I just need to do the RGB bypass mod. Secondly, I see on the back of the console that the DIN connection has 8 female pins. Can I use the existing port in some way to incorporate either the L/R audio signals or possibly the video signals as well? Possibly if I make my own cable? I also have some questions about superguns, but maybe that's for another time. It might also help to know that I do not have access to European scart TVs. I live in America. Any help with this project is appreciated. I am very comfortable around a soldering iron and console modifications and electronics. However when it comes to DC electronics, stuff gets a little fuzzy. However I do love the subject and refuse to let the confusion stop me. Once again, thank you for your help. I welcome PMs as well.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
The neo geo outputs rgb natively. So your options are:

1) source a rgb compatible monitor like a sony bvm/pvm. Then all you need to do is buy or make a compatible DIN to bnc cable.

2) Use a component tv and buy a scart to yuv adaptor box, plug in a din to scart cable to the box and then run component from the box to your tv. The box will cost between $50 and $100+ depending on which you purchase. I use a generic chinese one from feebay.

3) Do a component mod using an encoder like the neobitz.

4) DIY s-video mod using the encoder already in the console, will only cost around $15 in parts. Jamma nation x has a tutorial and the diy kit.

fisk

n00b
I saw stuff about using the NEOBITZ chip. What exactly would that entail? That isn't the same as the RGB bypass right? Thank you for your help.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
The bypass is just tapping the signal to skip some of the components and clean up the signal. The mod taps the signal and converts it to component. Most of what you need to know is here.

I am not a big fan or the component mod as i have several systems that i use rgb out on and dont want to have to do rgb mods on them all.

http://www.jammanationx.com/jammax/tutorials.html

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, as Gummy said what you'd do is tap the RGB outputs of the system internally, connect them to the Neobitz board, and the board outputs component, svideo, and composite. Then you would need to either add the jacks to your console or rewire the AV port and make some custom cables.

I've had several modded systems, and to be honest, I prefer just using an external box like Gums mentioned as the #2 option. The boxes cost about as much as a Neobitz does anyway, and you'd just need a rgb cable (about $20, give or take,) and the quality meets or exceeds what the Neobitz puts out. You can tap stereo from the headphone jack in the front or add some jacks in the back, or even the AV socket if you were so inclined. I like the clean look of a (outwardly) unmodded console, although the one I use now does have a set of RCA jacks for audio.

Btw, I didn't see Unibios mentioned. Don't have a Unibios? Get a Unibios.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also, the good thing about an external encoder(SCART to YUV) is that you can use it on other consoles as long as you have an RGB SCART cable for those consoles.

fisk

n00b
Thank you all for your input. I would rather do as little physical modding to the console as possible. I think I might go with the second option. I didnt mention the unibios as I am definitely going to be getting one. However I remember them being 15 bucks and not 30. That's not going to deter me though. I guess the second thing would be is there a good DIY for option number 2? Or would it be in my best interest to just buy one pre made.

As for the audio, Could I tap the audio on the internal pins of the DIN connector and make my own cable with out doing to much harm to the console? As in, is there a way to do that without crazy modification to the board and what not (i.e. tapping a wire to the internal DIN pin for or something along those lines), or maybe I'm just talking nonsense. Again, thank you for your help and input.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thank you all for your input. I would rather do as little physical modding to the console as possible. I think I might go with the second option. I didnt mention the unibios as I am definitely going to be getting one. However I remember them being 15 bucks and not 30. That's not going to deter me though. I guess the second thing would be is there a good DIY for option number 2? Or would it be in my best interest to just buy one pre made.

As for the audio, Could I tap the audio on the internal pins of the DIN connector and make my own cable with out doing to much harm to the console? As in, is there a way to do that without crazy modification to the board and what not (i.e. tapping a wire to the internal DIN pin for or something along those lines), or maybe I'm just talking nonsense. Again, thank you for your help and input.

Disconnect pin 1 by removing the cap for mono audio and disconnect pin 7 by cutting the trace going to it. Then run stereo from the headphone jack to those pins, Pin 1 = Left, Pin 7 = Right. Make sure you make a cable that is wired like that as well.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Disconnect pin 1 by removing the cap for mono audio and disconnect pin 7 by cutting the trace going to it. Then run stereo from the headphone jack to those pins, Pin 1 = Left, Pin 7 = Right. Make sure you make a cable that is wired like that as well.

Or do as I do and run a cable from the DIN just for video and a regular headphone-to-RCA stereo cable for the audio, from the headphones jack.

Regards.