need help on a vs board from a naomi universal

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
the board is 838-13816-91 its on a metal plate with 839-1146 small mini board

most of the 838-13816-91 is simple vga and rca and the i/o usb but i need info on the wiring for the two black(power?) jacks look like maybe gnd and maybe 12 volts?)

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
don't have any answer for you, maybe something worth trying.

the blast city VS board is powered via a 12V 2pin JST header. I don't see it here. the Uni don't have any AMP UP power lugs, but maybe this is powered via the JVS/USB like the encoder board on the Virtua Golf panel. doesn't hurt to try to see if it splits video and sound without anything hooked up to the 12pin AMP UP connectors.

there are 2 12pin AMP UP female jacks... how does the VS board handles player inputs&coin ? I would guess you daisy chain the vs pcb with the jvs io, then you hook up player2's planel in one of those 2 pin AMP UP.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
the jvs part looks like a straight thru. aka and extention conecting two usb cables. the black "power up?" connectors are two connection divided differently big traces so vss and gnd ill have to find the part number for that power conection. the vga circuit part has some small ic i havent found the data sheet for yet. i ssupect the 11 pin pcb is maple buss? did they send maple buss to the second dumb terminal cab?

Last edited:

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
hey... looks like STV is good for something for once, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jvs-versus-...1482263949?pt=Video_Games&hash=item4ad9d60d8d

you can clearly see which color goes where. colors are standard with sega wiring. not sure which one is the input, or why there are 2 .

so I'm guessing

cab1 JVS io usb B -> VS IO A ,
VS IO B -> cab2 JVS io A

lol you got me realy curious now. make sure to post something when you get all squared away :)

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i dont have a cab. just was sent this board so it might be a while

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I have a couple of these boards but I never did bother figuring it out. Both of my net cities came with them.

There were 2 USB cords in each net city. One went from the NAOMI board to the IO in the CP. The IO had one more USB cord that went back to the VS board and plugged in there (the USB B I think). I would assume you plug the other cabs JVS IO into the free USB A on the VS board.

It has 2 power plugs but only came with one power loom. That was the only thing I never figured out is why there would need to be 2 power sockets on the VS board. When I got the cabs the VS boards were effectively disconnected but one had a power loom laying in the cab.

edit: I looked at the VS board... the part with the power sockets is multi layer i think so you can't see traces. However, the USB sockets are simply straight through to each other. The traces on the board backside are just directly connecting the 2 ports.

I might go mess with my net cities for a minute...

OK, did not power the VS board yet, but I linked the IOs. This had an interesting behavior. The furthest IO from the NAOMI itself was node 1/2, and the one closest to the naomi was 2/2. It appears some games support this and others only listen to IO 1. I tried melty blood actress again and MvC 2 and both knew what to do with both IOs. They set the nearest IO (node 2 technically) to player one, disabled the 2p controls on there, and node 1 (other cab) became p2. I tried Azumanga puzzle bobble, and it only listened to the furthest IO as P1, I could not get p2 to do anything. Most likely just fighting games support it properly.

I didn't have a loom free to power the vs board. The SUN has 3 plugs but 2 are for the NAOMI and one is for the things in the CP that need power (which is the right plug, but I can't pull that to use it). I can grab my spare sun PSU some time and test out the AV splitting.

Last edited:

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
so ill need to of these vs boards or is one good for two systems?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I'm guessing one Naomi and one VS board will cut it for two cabs. Obviously you need two JVS IO boards. Since it's just passing through the usb cable, it's really just a vga splitter and rca audio splitter. You could hook two IOs together without the vs board.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
this thing is rather hard to find in any manuals online

skate323k137

10 Year Member
this thing is rather hard to find in any manuals online

I never found any info on it when I first looked. The more I look at it though I think that's because it's probably self explanatory. Like I said since the USB part is just a coupler, it's just a powered AV splitter at that point. I have the day off tomorrow, I might test splitting AV for the hell of it.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
yeah which one of the black power conmections to use and what voltages etc i see
white = gnd
yellow = is 5 volt
red =12volt
everything else is common sense

i just want to verify power

skate323k137

10 Year Member
yeah which one of the black power conmections to use and what voltages etc i see
white = gnd
yellow = is 5 volt
red =12volt
everything else is common sense

i just want to verify power

I took a continuity tester to the 2 power plugs, they are in parallel from what I can tell. It shouldn't matter which one you power.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Link_5.JPG

finally found a pic of it installed in a naomi universal cab

those seems like differnet power conections

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Probably either made that top loom, or that is going to power something else that needs 5v and 12v (like the board on the other cabinet perhaps. looks like it's grouped with those wires)