PDA

View Full Version : S-video broken pin

andsuchisdeath
12-13-2014, 12:04 PM
So, I have this CRT that I refuse to get rid of.

A pin broke off in the S-Video connector years ago from a Saturn S-vid cable.

It was the bottom rectangular piece. So, I've still been using Saturn S-video on this tv without problems. But the connector thus far has been cursed to Saturn S-Video only.

So my question is, what function does this broken rectangular pin serve?

Can I get away with breaking off that exact pin on other S-video cables for other consoles if I'd like to use them on this tv?

2D_Master
12-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Pretty sure the rectangular piece does not carry any signal. It's just used to lock the male to the female connector. It's a key so that you don't plug in the connector a wrong way.

SouthAmericaNeo
12-13-2014, 12:22 PM
I am no expert so please excuse my advice but it seems to be a ground and/or support bracket. I found this from the google and it may not be an issue but why to destroy two cables? Why not dig it out of the TV?

andsuchisdeath
12-13-2014, 12:26 PM
It's pushed in too deep to pull out

shadowkn55
12-13-2014, 12:33 PM
I am no expert so please excuse my advice but it seems to be a ground and/or support bracket. I found this from the google and it may not be an issue but why to destroy two cables? Why not dig it out of the TV?

It's not a ground or support bracket. It's a keyed slot to prevent improper insertion like 2d_master said.

It's pushed in too deep to pull out

You can use two needles to pry it out. Insert them both at an angle so that meet in the middle like a triangle. Hopefully you can wedge them into the plastic chunk enough to force it out like a crowbar.

andsuchisdeath
12-13-2014, 12:39 PM
You can use two needles to pry it out. Insert them both at an angle so that meet in the middle like a triangle. Hopefully you can wedge them into the plastic chunk enough to force it out like a crowbar.

Ok I'll try this.

Not that I'd want to put anyone in the position of condoning blasphemy, but would putting other cables into the connector that are missing a key pose any problems?

shadowkn55
12-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Ok I'll try this.

Not that I'd want to put anyone in the position of condoning blasphemy, but would putting other cables into the connector that are missing a key pose any problems?

As long as you're careful inserting other cables. It should be no problem. The pins are pretty fragile and the key is supposed to help you align it.

andsuchisdeath
12-13-2014, 12:45 PM
As long as you're careful inserting other cables. It should be no problem. The pins are pretty fragile and the key is supposed to help you align it.

Awesome.

Thank you.

Xian Xi
12-13-2014, 08:24 PM
If that doesn't work, you can use a small drill bit and drill a bit out in the middle and pry it out from the side using a needle or something a little stronger.

Tyranix95
12-13-2014, 10:02 PM
What kind of CRT?

The jacks are replaceable on TVs. Just need to find a replacement part. And open it up.

Might be able to find a compatible TV on CL for parts, or have a TV repair shop order you the part you need.

Neodogg
12-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Can you use a shop-vac with some reducers to suck it out? Or a hand bulb from a desoldering iron? Maybe heat up a paper clip? Maybe... You could use one of those little coffee stirring stick as a straw a do what you do best & suck ( bathroom stall at the bus stop says you could suck start a Harley)

Giga_Power32bit
12-14-2014, 07:36 PM
I don't know how easy it is but have you tried desodering the s-video port/unit off the mainboard/pcb and tried installing a similar unit?

Maybe this could help...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310674888758?lpid=82

GutsDozer
12-15-2014, 07:21 PM
Did you get it out? What method did you use?

andsuchisdeath
12-15-2014, 07:32 PM
I don't fix things. No tools.

I don't sew. No needles.

I suppose I should go to the crochet store this week.

shadowkn55
12-15-2014, 07:35 PM
I don't fix things. No tools.

I don't sew. No needles.

I suppose I should go to the crochet store this week.

I guess you could always try to siphon it out with your mouth.

andsuchisdeath
12-15-2014, 07:38 PM
I guess you could always try to siphon it out with your mouth.

Is shipping to SoCal expensive?

shadowkn55
12-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Is shipping to SoCal expensive?

Very affordable with the small flat rate box.