S-video broken pin

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So, I have this CRT that I refuse to get rid of.

A pin broke off in the S-Video connector years ago from a Saturn S-vid cable.

s-vid male.jpg

It was the bottom rectangular piece. So, I've still been using Saturn S-video on this tv without problems. But the connector thus far has been cursed to Saturn S-Video only.

So my question is, what function does this broken rectangular pin serve?

Can I get away with breaking off that exact pin on other S-video cables for other consoles if I'd like to use them on this tv?

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Pretty sure the rectangular piece does not carry any signal. It's just used to lock the male to the female connector. It's a key so that you don't plug in the connector a wrong way.

Last edited:

SouthAmericaNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I am no expert so please excuse my advice but it seems to be a ground and/or support bracket. I found this from the google and it may not be an issue but why to destroy two cables? Why not dig it out of the TV?

s.video.gif

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I am no expert so please excuse my advice but it seems to be a ground and/or support bracket. I found this from the google and it may not be an issue but why to destroy two cables? Why not dig it out of the TV?

View attachment 21296

It's not a ground or support bracket. It's a keyed slot to prevent improper insertion like 2d_master said.

It's pushed in too deep to pull out

You can use two needles to pry it out. Insert them both at an angle so that meet in the middle like a triangle. Hopefully you can wedge them into the plastic chunk enough to force it out like a crowbar.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You can use two needles to pry it out. Insert them both at an angle so that meet in the middle like a triangle. Hopefully you can wedge them into the plastic chunk enough to force it out like a crowbar.

Ok I'll try this.

Not that I'd want to put anyone in the position of condoning blasphemy, but would putting other cables into the connector that are missing a key pose any problems?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Ok I'll try this.

Not that I'd want to put anyone in the position of condoning blasphemy, but would putting other cables into the connector that are missing a key pose any problems?

As long as you're careful inserting other cables. It should be no problem. The pins are pretty fragile and the key is supposed to help you align it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If that doesn't work, you can use a small drill bit and drill a bit out in the middle and pry it out from the side using a needle or something a little stronger.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
What kind of CRT?

The jacks are replaceable on TVs. Just need to find a replacement part. And open it up.

Might be able to find a compatible TV on CL for parts, or have a TV repair shop order you the part you need.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Can you use a shop-vac with some reducers to suck it out? Or a hand bulb from a desoldering iron? Maybe heat up a paper clip? Maybe... You could use one of those little coffee stirring stick as a straw a do what you do best & suck ( bathroom stall at the bus stop says you could suck start a Harley)

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Did you get it out? What method did you use?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I don't fix things. No tools.

I don't sew. No needles.

I suppose I should go to the crochet store this week.