PDA

View Full Version : Final Fight playing random sound, WW graphical lines, flipped A board, A board no video

ebinsugewa
12-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Finally trying to figure out a lot of CPS1 issues I've been having:

I have a Final Fight board that plays a sound sample at startup, and then random samples over and over with occasional video flashes on an otherwise blank screen. There is a jumper from one of the pins under the C board to the interconnect housing, I'm not sure what this is for or if it affects the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFmkzQLlsyg&feature=youtu.be

I have a World Warrior board that has proper sprites and sound but lines through everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFKu2sQDvHM&feature=youtu.be

I have an A board with no video at all. When a working game is attached it just outputs a bluish-gray blank screen.

Lastly, I have an A board that seems to work perfectly, just with upside down video. It reminds me of a cocktail mode issue on classic-era games.

Any ideas?

bustedstr8
12-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Final Fight- Clean and reseat the prog roms. If that does nothing you will want to verify them

World Warrior- Can be many things... dirty connections on the board connectors or eprom sockets, broken solder joints or traces, bad LS245, mask rom or C-board. I would start by pulling the boards and eproms apart and clean everthing. See if any of the problems change after that.

A-board1 - Bjorked...if you can, check the basics on the CPU, power, clock, reset, address and datas

A-board2- Flip that dip.... C5 :p

channelmaniac
12-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Sorry, but I have no input on these. I don't work on CPS1 boards other than phoenixing them because of all the custom chip failures on the A and C boards.

ebinsugewa
12-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Final Fight- Clean and reseat the prog roms. If that does nothing you will want to verify them

World Warrior- Can be many things... dirty connections on the board connectors or eprom sockets, broken solder joints or traces, bad LS245, mask rom or C-board. I would start by pulling the boards and eproms apart and clean everthing. See if any of the problems change after that.

A-board1 - Bjorked...if you can, check the basics on the CPU, power, clock, reset, address and datas

A-board2- Flip that dip.... C5 :p

The gameplan is to verify the FF ROMs next time I do some repair stuff.

As for checking the basics on the first A board, I know someone with a logic probe but I've never used it. Is this the right datasheet to check: http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/121318/HITACHI/HD68HC000-12/909/3/HD68HC000-12.html ? As for the last A board, I checked the manual of some game for DIPs, must've missed that one :keke:

channelmaniac
12-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Problem with troubleshooting A boards is being able to get to the chips with the probe. :(

ebinsugewa
12-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Verified the ROMs, one was wrong. Blanked and reburned it successfully. There seem to be more graphical glitches now, but I get the same sound on boot and it plays random sound samples throughout. When the test DIP is set nothing changes.