Genesis with dim RGB picture?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I don't know if this is just a known issue, but my model 1 Genesis outputs a pretty dim RGB picture, requiring me to crank up the brightness and contrast on my monitor when I play it. I cracked open the SCART hood on my cable, and the resistors and capacitors are there, and are the correct values. Is there anything I can do without modding my system? Is this a known issue with early Genesis systems? Mine is a "High Definition Graphics" model with no "Produced or Licensed by" splash screen.

Thanks!

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
non-TMSS with dim RGB video.

hmmm

I made my own scart cable and it looks fine on my PVM-2530.

interesting..

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Maybe try removing the resistors just to see :/

Could also be your power supply

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I don't know if this is just a known issue, but my model 1 Genesis outputs a pretty dim RGB picture, requiring me to crank up the brightness and contrast on my monitor when I play it. I cracked open the SCART hood on my cable, and the resistors and capacitors are there, and are the correct values. Is there anything I can do without modding my system? Is this a known issue with early Genesis systems? Mine is a "High Definition Graphics" model with no "Produced or Licensed by" splash screen.

Thanks!

I think I have another Gen 1 MD scart cable you can pick up when you're over on Sunday. That may help you to narrow things down a bit.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Thanks, Teddy.

I should say that when I say "dim", it's just that the colors don't pop like they do on my Neo unless I crank up the contrast. In chat, Ballz suggested that I try removing the 75 ohm resistors, since I already have 75 ohm terminators on the back of the monitor.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I find this odd, my model 1 has blindingly bright output without the resistors. Even with them it's still on the bright end of my systems.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Maybe the inline caps in the scart cable are dried up. Try replacing those.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Maybe the inline caps in the scart cable are dried up. Try replacing those.

Good idea, I know some systems look dark w/o the caps. Replacing them is worth a shot over removing resistors.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Sounds like a good idea. I'll check my stock of rando electronic supplies and see if I have some. If not, I'll get some.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I found some caps in my stash, so I will try changing them out tonight. Although they look like the exact same ones that are already in the cable...