Flashing Carts?

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
Not looking for a banhammer here, but is it possible to flash/convert your own carts. Ie- turn my world heroes into a last hope. What would it involve?

That being said am and not looking to gain information to recreate, sell, boot, etc. Just want to play some cool games on the cheap

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Buy a multicart.

That's the nicest reply you're going to get about this subject.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Ow
Not looking for a banhammer here, but is it possible to flash/convert your own carts. Ie- turn my world heroes into a last hope. What would it involve?

That being said am and not looking to gain information to recreate, sell, boot, etc. Just want to play some cool games on the cheap

No point in destroying games, just buy a multicart.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member

I've warned your copy of World Heroes, and it has already escaped.

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
I've warned your copy of World Heroes, and it has already escaped.

Best reply yet lol. Fair enough on the multi cart.

Now is a multi cart emulation or is it just a bunch of games stored on a large chip? Meaning, is it the original dumped files or a recreation?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It's a bunch of games stored on a bunch of chips, no emulation. The only problem is more than half the games included on any multicart are useless hacks and Last Hope isn't ever included on them, because it's a homebrew game.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
It's a bunch of games stored on a bunch of chips, no emulation. The only problem is more than half the games included on any multicart are useless hacks and Last Hope isn't ever included on them, because it's a homebrew game.

And sometimes you get funky versions of games. Glitches etc. Garou on the 121 has weird background problems in some stages, and I remember Sam Sho V Special crashed a lot.

chrd

n00b
And sometimes you get funky versions of games. Glitches etc. Garou on the 121 has weird background problems in some stages, and I remember Sam Sho V Special crashed a lot.

If I recall correctly highscores won't get saved on any of these multicarts (this is a dealbreaker for me). People report it's a pain to (keep on) configuring them for the right difficulty level, too. And you're supporting the people who (by bootlegging) (at least partially) took away SNK's business.

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
So if I'm following everyone here, instead of recreating a game with the correct parts, buy a bootleg that partially works? You can see the contradiction right?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
So if I'm following everyone here, instead of recreating a game with the correct parts, buy a bootleg that partially works? You can see the contradiction right?

The short answer is nobody is going to tell you how to make bootlegs. If you are going to walk into treacherous territory, do some independent research. Having this kind of information floating around is a liability for the community.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nobody cares if you use a multicart because they are made from new parts. Converting legit carts to bootlegs destroys real carts, and the forums don't take to kindly to that.

Go look at the prices of Fatal Fury 3 and Sam Shodown 3 homecarts. They used to be $30 all day every day but are getting scarce as they are prime bootleg donors.

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
Nobody cares if you use a multicart because they are made from new parts. Converting legit carts to bootlegs destroys real carts, and the forums don't take to kindly to that.

Go look at the prices of Fatal Fury 3 and Sam Shodown 3 homecarts. They used to be $30 all day every day but are getting scarce as they are prime bootleg donors.

So basically if everyone started to sacrifice world heroes mvs to make something better (basically any other game), they would not only have said game, but everyone's copy of World Heroes they don't want just jumped in value. So the gamers win and the hipsters lose? Hmm...

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
So basically if everyone started to sacrifice world heroes mvs to make something better (basically any other game), they would not only have said game, but everyone's copy of World Heroes they don't want just jumped in value. So the gamers win and the hipsters lose? Hmm...

Whether or not that's true, it's irrelevant. The point I made earlier still stands.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
It's more economical for the future of Neo Geo if bootlegs are made from all new parts, rather than original parts. What's the fun in having a massive overstock of shitty quality conversions while originals become extremely rare?

If you don't believe us, look at Sengoku 3 AES. This game used to be relatively cheap, but then mass poaching pushed the game into rare status. You know it's getting bad when a donor game (Sengoku 3) is having conversions made for it, because it's so rare now.

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
It's more economical for the future of Neo Geo if bootlegs are made from all new parts, rather than original parts. What's the fun in having a massive overstock of shitty quality conversions while originals become extremely rare?

If you don't believe us, look at Sengoku 3 AES. This game used to be relatively cheap, but then mass poaching pushed the game into rare status. You know it's getting bad when a donor game (Sengoku 3) is having conversions made for it, because it's so rare now.

No argument there, but with the exception of multi carts, wouldn't you say the majority of bootlegs use recycled SNK boards and parts? If that's the case, why not create quality reproductions? Pc engine Sapphire reproductions were awesome for those who couldn't drop crazy money on the originals(I realize that didn't sacrifice original cds or hu cards). And let's just talk about using carts with issues (graphics, audio, etc). Two busted world heroes makes one sengoku 2? If that bothered someone it'd only be because their own sengoku 2 cart would lose some value.

Again, not trying to ruffle feathers, just a thought.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Most of the regular posters on this forum do not want the value of the games to increase, they want them to decrease. These aren't investments, their goddamn video games. There are some collectors around here, but you'll find that those that collect and play are revered, while those that just throw them on the shelf and speculate the future value are run off.

Last edited:

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
No they want other's games to decrease in price, not their own. Who wants their own possessions devalued? But of course you can't have it both ways.

Back to the original post, I understand why you personally think it's a bad idea. Thanks for sharing.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I'd vastly prefer if my Neo stuff was worth less, it means it would cost less to replace.

Nobody ever thinks about that aspect, but it has happened to often to not care about. The value of what you own is determined by how much it would cost to replace it. I shudder to think how much it would cost to replace my Garou homecart.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Some market stability would be nice. Persistent inflation helps no one, except those who are permanently getting out of buying. Sure, you may sell stuff for more but you end up paying more for other games down the line.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
If you find out how to make world heroes a useful sac cart let me know. I need a future fund for my future children.

Just to let you know the world heroes cart will require a lot of rewiring and logic chips to even have a thought of possibly last hope working on it. So I guess you can say that was your last hope? :P

Last edited:

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
No argument there, but with the exception of multi carts, wouldn't you say the majority of bootlegs use recycled SNK boards and parts? If that's the case, why not create quality reproductions? Pc engine Sapphire reproductions were awesome for those who couldn't drop crazy money on the originals(I realize that didn't sacrifice original cds or hu cards). And let's just talk about using carts with issues (graphics, audio, etc). Two busted world heroes makes one sengoku 2? If that bothered someone it'd only be because their own sengoku 2 cart would lose some value.

Again, not trying to ruffle feathers, just a thought.
If you use two broken world heroes cart to make a sengoku 2? Are you talking about bootlegging because that is the only method. I would rather repair the broken world heroes cart than turn them into a bootleg.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Best reply yet lol. Fair enough on the multi cart.

Now is a multi cart emulation or is it just a bunch of games stored on a large chip? Meaning, is it the original dumped files or a recreation?

If the Neo Geo can't run Neo Geo emulation...can it run SNES emulation?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
If the Neo Geo can't run Neo Geo emulation...can it run SNES emulation?

I notice people have an extremely strange perception of flash carts and sometimes multi-carts as shown here. Emulation is nowhere near the correct word here. Both flash carts and multi-carts simply load and execute one game from a mass storage source of some kind, with a processor and menu ROM managing everything for the user. The only difference between a flash/multi cart and an original cart is the latter has access to only one game, rather than many. You'd essentially turn a multi-cart into a flash cart if you changed the permanent on-board ROM array with a SD/CF/etc card interface.

As for your question, not sure if you're sarcastic. I think the Neo is too application specific to be good at emulating. For one thing, the 68k isn't THAT amazingly fast. Someone made a NES emulator for Genesis and it runs really slowly. The other massive problem is the 68k cannot access C ROM data, making it difficult to process stuff on-the-fly if needed to get good speed.

The Neo is best suited to mind blowing works of 2D art, not running games for inferior systems. It's time we started dumping RPGs and text adventures onto the Neo.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I'd vastly prefer if my Neo stuff was worth less, it means it would cost less to replace.

This is exactly what I hope for. It's not fun when a cart (or PCB) you dropped a lot of cash on develops a fault just because it was being used. When I put certain carts in to play I hold my breath just hoping it boots and plays fine.