PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Carts?

BTD
12-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Not looking for a banhammer here, but is it possible to flash/convert your own carts. Ie- turn my world heroes into a last hope. What would it involve?

That being said am and not looking to gain information to recreate, sell, boot, etc. Just want to play some cool games on the cheap

GohanX
12-10-2014, 08:31 AM
Buy a multicart.

That's the nicest reply you're going to get about this subject.

LegoSlug
12-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Ow
Not looking for a banhammer here, but is it possible to flash/convert your own carts. Ie- turn my world heroes into a last hope. What would it involve?

That being said am and not looking to gain information to recreate, sell, boot, etc. Just want to play some cool games on the cheap

No point in destroying games, just buy a multicart.

Mercuttio
12-10-2014, 09:57 AM

I've warned your copy of World Heroes, and it has already escaped.

BTD
12-10-2014, 05:37 PM
I've warned your copy of World Heroes, and it has already escaped.

Best reply yet lol. Fair enough on the multi cart.

Now is a multi cart emulation or is it just a bunch of games stored on a large chip? Meaning, is it the original dumped files or a recreation?

HMG
12-10-2014, 05:39 PM
It's a bunch of games stored on a bunch of chips, no emulation. The only problem is more than half the games included on any multicart are useless hacks and Last Hope isn't ever included on them, because it's a homebrew game.

Mercuttio
12-10-2014, 05:45 PM
It's a bunch of games stored on a bunch of chips, no emulation. The only problem is more than half the games included on any multicart are useless hacks and Last Hope isn't ever included on them, because it's a homebrew game.

And sometimes you get funky versions of games. Glitches etc. Garou on the 121 has weird background problems in some stages, and I remember Sam Sho V Special crashed a lot.

chrd
12-10-2014, 06:05 PM
And sometimes you get funky versions of games. Glitches etc. Garou on the 121 has weird background problems in some stages, and I remember Sam Sho V Special crashed a lot.

If I recall correctly highscores won't get saved on any of these multicarts (this is a dealbreaker for me). People report it's a pain to (keep on) configuring them for the right difficulty level, too. And you're supporting the people who (by bootlegging) (at least partially) took away SNK's business.

BTD
12-10-2014, 07:40 PM
So if I'm following everyone here, instead of recreating a game with the correct parts, buy a bootleg that partially works? You can see the contradiction right?

shadowkn55
12-10-2014, 07:55 PM
So if I'm following everyone here, instead of recreating a game with the correct parts, buy a bootleg that partially works? You can see the contradiction right?

The short answer is nobody is going to tell you how to make bootlegs. If you are going to walk into treacherous territory, do some independent research. Having this kind of information floating around is a liability for the community.

BTD
12-10-2014, 07:58 PM
That's fair. I'll leave it alone.

GohanX
12-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Nobody cares if you use a multicart because they are made from new parts. Converting legit carts to bootlegs destroys real carts, and the forums don't take to kindly to that.

Go look at the prices of Fatal Fury 3 and Sam Shodown 3 homecarts. They used to be $30 all day every day but are getting scarce as they are prime bootleg donors.

BTD
12-10-2014, 09:17 PM
Nobody cares if you use a multicart because they are made from new parts. Converting legit carts to bootlegs destroys real carts, and the forums don't take to kindly to that.

Go look at the prices of Fatal Fury 3 and Sam Shodown 3 homecarts. They used to be $30 all day every day but are getting scarce as they are prime bootleg donors.

So basically if everyone started to sacrifice world heroes mvs to make something better (basically any other game), they would not only have said game, but everyone's copy of World Heroes they don't want just jumped in value. So the gamers win and the hipsters lose? Hmm...

shadowkn55
12-10-2014, 09:47 PM
So basically if everyone started to sacrifice world heroes mvs to make something better (basically any other game), they would not only have said game, but everyone's copy of World Heroes they don't want just jumped in value. So the gamers win and the hipsters lose? Hmm...

Whether or not that's true, it's irrelevant. The point I made earlier still stands.

HMG
12-10-2014, 10:06 PM
It's more economical for the future of Neo Geo if bootlegs are made from all new parts, rather than original parts. What's the fun in having a massive overstock of shitty quality conversions while originals become extremely rare?

If you don't believe us, look at Sengoku 3 AES. This game used to be relatively cheap, but then mass poaching pushed the game into rare status. You know it's getting bad when a donor game (Sengoku 3) is having conversions made for it, because it's so rare now.

BTD
12-10-2014, 10:31 PM
It's more economical for the future of Neo Geo if bootlegs are made from all new parts, rather than original parts. What's the fun in having a massive overstock of shitty quality conversions while originals become extremely rare?

If you don't believe us, look at Sengoku 3 AES. This game used to be relatively cheap, but then mass poaching pushed the game into rare status. You know it's getting bad when a donor game (Sengoku 3) is having conversions made for it, because it's so rare now.

No argument there, but with the exception of multi carts, wouldn't you say the majority of bootlegs use recycled SNK boards and parts? If that's the case, why not create quality reproductions? Pc engine Sapphire reproductions were awesome for those who couldn't drop crazy money on the originals(I realize that didn't sacrifice original cds or hu cards). And let's just talk about using carts with issues (graphics, audio, etc). Two busted world heroes makes one sengoku 2? If that bothered someone it'd only be because their own sengoku 2 cart would lose some value.

Again, not trying to ruffle feathers, just a thought.

GohanX
12-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Most of the regular posters on this forum do not want the value of the games to increase, they want them to decrease. These aren't investments, their goddamn video games. There are some collectors around here, but you'll find that those that collect and play are revered, while those that just throw them on the shelf and speculate the future value are run off.

BTD
12-10-2014, 11:41 PM
No they want other's games to decrease in price, not their own. Who wants their own possessions devalued? But of course you can't have it both ways.

Back to the original post, I understand why you personally think it's a bad idea. Thanks for sharing.

HMG
12-10-2014, 11:47 PM
I'd vastly prefer if my Neo stuff was worth less, it means it would cost less to replace.

Nobody ever thinks about that aspect, but it has happened to often to not care about. The value of what you own is determined by how much it would cost to replace it. I shudder to think how much it would cost to replace my Garou homecart.

wyo
12-11-2014, 12:05 AM
Some market stability would be nice. Persistent inflation helps no one, except those who are permanently getting out of buying. Sure, you may sell stuff for more but you end up paying more for other games down the line.

jesesfbi
12-11-2014, 01:06 AM
If you find out how to make world heroes a useful sac cart let me know. I need a future fund for my future children.

Just to let you know the world heroes cart will require a lot of rewiring and logic chips to even have a thought of possibly last hope working on it. So I guess you can say that was your last hope? :P

jesesfbi
12-11-2014, 01:08 AM
No argument there, but with the exception of multi carts, wouldn't you say the majority of bootlegs use recycled SNK boards and parts? If that's the case, why not create quality reproductions? Pc engine Sapphire reproductions were awesome for those who couldn't drop crazy money on the originals(I realize that didn't sacrifice original cds or hu cards). And let's just talk about using carts with issues (graphics, audio, etc). Two busted world heroes makes one sengoku 2? If that bothered someone it'd only be because their own sengoku 2 cart would lose some value.

Again, not trying to ruffle feathers, just a thought.
If you use two broken world heroes cart to make a sengoku 2? Are you talking about bootlegging because that is the only method. I would rather repair the broken world heroes cart than turn them into a bootleg.

bustedstr8
12-11-2014, 01:48 AM
Best reply yet lol. Fair enough on the multi cart.

Now is a multi cart emulation or is it just a bunch of games stored on a large chip? Meaning, is it the original dumped files or a recreation?

If the Neo Geo can't run Neo Geo emulation...can it run SNES emulation?

HMG
12-11-2014, 02:28 AM

I notice people have an extremely strange perception of flash carts and sometimes multi-carts as shown here. Emulation is nowhere near the correct word here. Both flash carts and multi-carts simply load and execute one game from a mass storage source of some kind, with a processor and menu ROM managing everything for the user. The only difference between a flash/multi cart and an original cart is the latter has access to only one game, rather than many. You'd essentially turn a multi-cart into a flash cart if you changed the permanent on-board ROM array with a SD/CF/etc card interface.

As for your question, not sure if you're sarcastic. I think the Neo is too application specific to be good at emulating. For one thing, the 68k isn't THAT amazingly fast. Someone made a NES emulator for Genesis and it runs really slowly. The other massive problem is the 68k cannot access C ROM data, making it difficult to process stuff on-the-fly if needed to get good speed.

The Neo is best suited to mind blowing works of 2D art, not running games for inferior systems. It's time we started dumping RPGs and text adventures onto the Neo.

pulstar
12-11-2014, 04:43 PM
I'd vastly prefer if my Neo stuff was worth less, it means it would cost less to replace.

This is exactly what I hope for. It's not fun when a cart (or PCB) you dropped a lot of cash on develops a fault just because it was being used. When I put certain carts in to play I hold my breath just hoping it boots and plays fine.

Lemony Vengeance
12-11-2014, 05:41 PM
I am and not looking to gain information to recreate, sell, boot, etc. Just want to play some cool games on the cheap

This is how The following members became the most hated flippers and rapers of the neo community:

*KPJ/Kennyboy (Neotropolis)
*Christoph (Analog interactive)
*Professor Plum (bootlegger, liar, and flipper)
*and many others... homeboy.

Don't be one of these people. Some knowledge corrupts. Get a multicart and be done with it :)

BTD
12-11-2014, 06:00 PM
This is how The following members became the most hated flippers and rapers of the neo community:

*KPJ/Kennyboy (Neotropolis)
*Christoph (Analog interactive)
*Professor Plum (bootlegger, liar, and flipper)
*and many others... homeboy.

Don't be one of these people. Some knowledge corrupts. Get a multicart and be done with it :)

That's fair. I'd rather be revered by all. I'm gonna need everyone to get started on that though...

Lemony Vengeance
12-11-2014, 06:18 PM
That's fair. I'd rather be revered by all. I'm gonna need everyone to get started on that though...

Pride corrupts as well.

:P

Stay grounded and you'll be fine. Lots of people don't like me here, but here I am :)

BTD
12-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Pride corrupts as well.

:P

Stay grounded and you'll be fine. Lots of people don't like me here, but here I am :)

You know, I was here years before you...

Thanks for the tip though...

NOW REVERE ME!

jsiucho
12-12-2014, 09:29 AM

Your inbox is full, Thanks for the work on the Pacs

Yodd
12-12-2014, 09:52 AM
You know, I was here years before you...

Thanks for the tip though...

NOW REVERE ME!

Shut the fuck up.

BTD
12-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Shut the fuck up.

I'll get right on that. Eat a dick fuck face.

Yodd
12-12-2014, 11:17 AM
I'll get right on that. Eat a dick fuck face.

Boohooo. Someone lost their market access.

:keke:

Enjoy your stay.

Jibbajaba
12-12-2014, 11:18 AM
So basically this guy wants to sac cheap MVS carts to make bootlegs of homebrew games. This is better than buying a multicart because those only "partially work" (because they don't save your high score, LOL). This is also good because it will drive up the price of common MVS games, making our games worth more money (because who wants their possessions devalued?).

Does this not sound like a profiteering bootlegger in-training? This shitbag should be banned. Up until about a month ago, all of your posts were in the marketplace, which got you banned from it. So is creating threads like this your way of "contributing"? *THIS* is how you're going to earn your way back in?

And talking like that to broken is going to win you exactly zero friends around here. You're already swirling around the bowl thanks to your marketplace ban. We're I you, I'd be watching my P's and Q's right now.

Skips
12-12-2014, 11:28 AM
So basically this guy wants to sac cheap MVS carts to make bootlegs of homebrew games. This is better than buying a multicart because those only "partially work" (because they don't save your high score, LOL). This is also good because it will drive up the price of common MVS games, making our games worth more money (because who wants their possessions devalued?).

Does this not sound like a profiteering bootlegger in-training? This shitbag should be banned. Up until about a month ago, all of your posts were in the marketplace, which got you banned from it. So is creating threads like this your way of "contributing"? *THIS* is how you're going to earn your way back in?

And talking like that to broken is going to win you exactly zero friends around here. You're already swirling around the bowl thanks to your marketplace ban. We're I you, I'd be watching my P's and Q's right now.

Shouldn't this whole thread be in the french forum anyway?

BTD
12-12-2014, 11:57 AM

Yes my master plan was to quit my great paying job with great benefits to bootleg carts and then buy my mansion. You got me.

By the way of you expect members new or old to have someone tell them to shut the fuck up when they're goofing around with another member and just sit there and take it, then you're barking up the wrong tree. If someone gives you the finger you have the right to shoot it back and if you don't agree with that... Well I bet you can guess.

Pasky
12-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Shouldn't this whole thread be in the french/spanish/italian forum anyway?

FTFY.

shadowkn55
12-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Yes my master plan was to quit my great paying job with great benefits to bootleg carts and then buy my mansion. You got me.

By the way of you expect members new or old to have someone tell them to shut the fuck up when they're goofing around with another member and just sit there and take it, then you're barking up the wrong tree. If someone gives you the finger you have the right to shoot it back and if you don't agree with that... Well I bet you can guess.

How would you feel if a complete stranger just starting dicking around with you and acted like it was a matter of fact? Until you start contributing in a serious manner and people get to know you better, you haven't earned that privilege yet.

BTD
12-12-2014, 12:28 PM
How would you feel if a complete stranger just starting dicking around with you and acted like it was a matter of fact? Until you start contributing in a serious manner and people get to know you better, you haven't earned that privilege yet.

I hear what you're saying man, but come on, who says "revere me" with a serious face outside of 20th fascists?

It just seems people want to pick and choose what to be sensitive about here. Lots of unnecessary butthurting. That's all I have to say. I didn't mean to offend anyone if I did.

shadowkn55
12-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Generally the people that say outrageous things have been here long enough for others to know to not take them seriously. If a noob just waltzes in doing the same nonsense, he's a pretentious ass. It's all about context. You don't lay down the dirty jokes on a first date and not expect to get slapped. You gotta get a feel for the people around you first.

Jag-Master
12-12-2014, 12:46 PM

Ban Plz

GohanX
12-12-2014, 12:48 PM
You gotta get a feel for the people around you first.

I feel the people around me all the time!

Electric Grave
12-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Multi carts are awesome for ease of use but treat it as that, not as a replacement for your favorite games. Changing games during a meet up is a bitch, nothing like emulation and multicarts for meet ups, everyone has a fav they wanna play on the fly and this facilitates that so easily.

I can't wait for a CPS2 multicart, not that 19-in 1, I rather wait for an end all be all alternative but I'm still keeping my ST along with my favs CPS2 carts.

Elgen
12-12-2014, 01:51 PM
I guess the short answer to all these questions is: It's illegal!

BTD
12-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Ban Plz

To clarify, that wasn't a Hmmm, I think I'll do that, it was a Hmmm, the argument above seems invalid.

Easy there. I mean no harm.

Rot
12-12-2014, 02:42 PM
OI! BTD!

...I don't mind you doing this shit in private... or contacting members asking for advice...

LOOK... people sell/provide services here... that infringe on certain beliefs.. I'd rather not you get us into any hot water... so stop... or face having my boot up your ass...

xROTx

Jibbajaba
12-12-2014, 06:55 PM

If you were a regular, contributing member here instead of a marketplace leech just out to get his access back, you'd know that broken's "shut the fuck up" post was a recent running joke around here. And you can say whatever you want back to him or anyone else. The only person you're hurting is yourself.

BTD
12-12-2014, 07:21 PM
If you were a regular, contributing member here instead of a marketplace leech just out to get his access back, you'd know that broken's "shut the fuck up" post was a recent running joke around here. And you can say whatever you want back to him or anyone else. The only person you're hurting is yourself.

Apologies if I have more interest in the schematics and mechanics information on the site and less interest in the banter in the war room. I have that already. It's called reddit.

But the information in tech support forums is not only interesting but invaluable, hence why I tend to spend my time (mostly) in that forum. With limited knowledge there's not always a ton to say. Communities can exist without us all being best friends. Everyone plays a part.

I have no further desire to talk about this with you Jib.

Jibbajaba
12-12-2014, 09:01 PM
Everyone plays a part.

What part do you play around here? You can't leech from the market, so you'll leech bootleg-making info from tech support instead? The fact that you would even start this thread in the first place shows how clueless you are. Maybe reddit would be a better place for you. Or Sega-16.

BTD
12-12-2014, 09:12 PM
What part do you play around here? You can't leech from the market, so you'll leech bootleg-making info from tech support instead? The fact that you would even start this thread in the first place shows how clueless you are. Maybe reddit would be a better place for you. Or Sega-16.

Why are you so angry? Did I steal something from you? Ruin this forum? Fuck your mom? What is it? Jesus christ dude, calm down. You're starting to sound like an irrational woman. Now listen closely: I'm going this way, you go the other way. There's no reason we can't both enjoy the forums.

Jibbajaba
12-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Here's a quick tip for you. Making the argument that someone else is "angry" or "sounds like an irrational woman" doesn't really work when, in the same thread, you say "eat a dick, fuck face".

Don't get me wrong; I don't blame you. I'd probably be feeling pretty defensive too, if I were in your shoes. But good luck getting your marketplace access back. Threads like this are a great start. Maybe next you can ask for some tips on doing high-res printing that someone could easily mistake for offset printing? But of course it would just be for personal use, and really you're just asking out of curiosity (wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)

BTD
12-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Here's a quick tip for you. Making the argument that someone else is "angry" or "sounds like an irrational woman" doesn't really work when, in the same thread, you say "eat a dick, fuck face".

Don't get me wrong; I don't blame you. I'd probably be feeling pretty defensive too, if I were in your shoes. But good luck getting your marketplace access back. Threads like this are a great start. Maybe next you can ask for some tips on doing high-res printing that someone could easily mistake for offset printing? But of course it would just be for personal use, and really you're just asking out of curiosity (wink, wink, nudge, nudge.)

OK.

SouthAmericaNeo
12-12-2014, 09:59 PM
I wish that SNK allow gsmes to be remade. That would be best. I am such a fan I wish I could have acces to these games.

Mugicha
12-12-2014, 10:15 PM
I wish that SNK allow gsmes to be remade. That would be best. I am such a fan I wish I could have acces to these games.

(・へ・)

Yodd
12-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Why are you so angry? Did I steal something from you? Ruin this forum? Fuck your mom? What is it? Jesus christ dude, calm down. You're starting to sound like an irrational woman. Now listen closely: I'm going this way, you go the other way. There's no reason we can't both enjoy the forums.

You still need to just shut the fuck up.

Jibbajaba
12-12-2014, 11:01 PM
You still need to just shut the fuck up.

Cosigned.