Mega Drive game issue: Osomatsu-Kun - Can't get to boot

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I am trying to get this game to boot.

I picked this up from Adol many years ago, and by the time I got around to trying it, it never would boot up. So it was too late to ask for a refund. I am using a model 1 genesis and can not get past the "this game is licensed by Sega" screen. I thought maybe it just had region protection, so I used my Nitro Adaptor 2 with every single dip setting and still no dice. The game looks clean. No loose parts inside. The contacts are virtually free of any residue.

I know it is a long shot. But I am curious if anyone else has ever owned this game and had similar issues. maybe there is some sort of issues with model 1. Or maybe there is something I can look for to see if it is indeed damaged inside.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Usually if you can get a a splash screen of any sort it would imply that the game is functional but won't load due to some incompatibility or another. You could try replicating your setup using an emulator and then try different region settings. The only other things I can think of are maybe it's incompatible with 6 button pads or whatever model console you're using.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Why don't you just region mod your Genesis? Some games just won't boot whith the system region jumpers set to english language instead of jpn. Some european games will also require an additionnal 50hz/60hz switch to boot. This is one of the easiest region mod to do, google it.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
A region issue rarely results in just a black screen.

If it shows the sega logo, it means that the ROM was read well enough to have it write the string "SEGA" to a specific area in memory, so at least a few low address bits are working, and likely all of the data lines. I would make sure the cartridge is clean, and maybe try re-flowing the cartridge ROM pins inside the cartridge.

If you don't feel up for soldering, there are many members on the forum who are capable here who probably wouldn't mind having a go at it. Not a whole lot is in a mega drive cart so there are only a few points of failure.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
The Rom boots in USA/60hz mode in an emulator.

Like Mike said, these carts are very simple. If the contacts are clean in the Genesis and cart, the only things it could be are a bad connection or a bad rom.

Check connections from the cart edge to right at the chip body, if those are all good it's a bad rom.
If you find some bad connection switch to rom to another known working pcb.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
A region issue rarely results in just a black screen.

If it shows the sega logo, it means that the ROM was read well enough to have it write the string "SEGA" to a specific area in memory, so at least a few low address bits are working, and likely all of the data lines. I would make sure the cartridge is clean, and maybe try re-flowing the cartridge ROM pins inside the cartridge.

If you don't feel up for soldering, there are many members on the forum who are capable here who probably wouldn't mind having a go at it. Not a whole lot is in a mega drive cart so there are only a few points of failure.

Thanks for the tips. I received your pm as well. I am doing a bunch of holder installations tomorrow so I will give it a look. By reflow I am guessing you mean just get the solder hot hot on each contact and make sure there's a connection?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Thanks for the tips. I received your pm as well. I am doing a bunch of holder installations tomorrow so I will give it a look. By reflow I am guessing you mean just get the solder hot hot on each contact and make sure there's a connection?

That, but maybe apply a little fresh solder or flux to make sure it flows well if it has oxidized. Maybe a continuity check between the ROM pin and its matching cartridge edge pin would be a safe bet as well. If all pins are confirmed good and it still doesn't boot, then the mask ROM might actually be damaged. This is very uncommon, though, since they are such simple devices.