You all know KOF98UM is finally officially coming to Steam, right?

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
The search:

SxWK5wv.jpg

The thread:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255480

XiTaU

n00b
i remember reading this on the kof xiii steam forum quite some time ago months even.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
i remember reading this on the kof xiii steam forum quite some time ago months even.

It's been in the Steam database for years. I think there was another pesudo-announcement, I think, but it wasn't clear. The listing on the Steam store is the first believable chunk of information, and there's a release date!

Have they posted the character changes for it anywhere online?

I heard it's better balanced than previous versions of 98UM. From playing the US PS2 UM, I found that the included Neo Geo version to be more playable than the UM, so anything that makes UM as enjoyable as the original version is a definite plus.

Big Al

Rugal's Thug
Would be up for trying this one. My favourite of the series. Time to get a decent pad ...

Moria/the man

New Challenger
I bought it.... Add me up to steam if thine wantith! Steam name.... Chikavelli That goes for PSN too.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
I've pre-ordered it and waiting to see how it plays. Does this version include filters? Wonder how a low-res game will look on a PC monitor.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Does this version include filters? Wonder how a low-res game will look on a PC monitor.
Yup, it would be a good idea to include the option to add scanlines with all/most low-res games...

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I bought it.... Add me up to steam if thine wantith! Steam name.... Chikavelli That goes for PSN too.

Oh man! Good to see you around the neo-geo.com board. Tomorrow night! I'm excited. Hope you're online.

I'm getting pretty hyped about this game. I haven't played fighters online for a long time. My skillz have probably atrophied quite a bit.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Aw, sadface, It got pushed back till Dec 16

Yeah, which was the same day as GGXrd, but that got pushed back, too.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll forget to change the date of availability in the Steam system. Then it can download regardless. I'll probably switch offline as soon as I'm sure it's running to make sure it doesn't auto-update into unplayability, but we'll see. I took the day off from work today so I could play it :keke: Not entirely, I had days off left to use, but KOF98UMFE was supposed to be a nice bonus.

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
One hour before release they push it back to the 16th? I'm a bit pissed off. I have plenty of other games to play. I was really looking forward to playing it this weekend. I should stop pre-purchasing ANYTHING.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
One hour before release they push it back to the 16th? I'm a bit pissed off. I have plenty of other games to play. I was really looking forward to playing it this weekend. I should stop pre-purchasing ANYTHING.

It was more like 4 hours, but, yeah.

They did change the date on the store page within 10 minutes of the prior release date, though. So my idea of them accidentally pushing out an unfinished build for us to play didn't come through.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
The build was finished like 16 years ago.

My MVS cart concurs.

I am still looking forward to this new 98UM, though. I was super excited to get 98UM when it came out on PS2 here in the USA years ago, but I was inexplicably much, much better at the Neo Geo original than the UM version. I'm hoping this new Final Edition brings things in line with the Neo Geo original while adding the extra characters.

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I have a really nice mama cabinet that I built years ago that I mainly use for console emulation. I never thought of using it for steam games. Anyone else using steam on a mame cab?

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
This hould ne out soon. I'll be at home online. Hit me up for some matches. (I'm pretty bad at the game.)

RBjakeSpecial

20 Year Member
Any netcode reports?

Netcode is broken and awful. I haven't played one smooth game so far. One game seemed smooth, but the opponent wasn't doing anything. I read reports that there are a lot of games where one person can move lag free while the other stutters.

They really need to just put GGPO or something else in there. The devs are the Steam forum saying, "We don't want to change the netcode, because some people are having great experiences." (paraphrase), while at the same time everywhere else on the Steam forum says, "Netcode is broken, FIX IT, ADD GGPO."

The game also has trouble recognizing some arcade sticks. Something to do with it only reading the analog pad inputs (not confirmed, but I think that's what's going on).

The offline game is great. I've been enjoying playing UM again. Good if you want to play it offline.

Update from the Steam forums (posted by a Code Mystics dev):

"Thanks to the amazing investigative work of Miggoh, we have a reason for the inconsistent netcode behaviour. It corroborates earlier reports that the problem would happen in matchmaking but not invites.

When you start matchmaking you get bombarded with matchmaking requests and it's not shut off. Those are hogging your bandwidth, which is what's driving up the ping to ridiculous numbers. The reason we didn't see this prior to shipping is that we didn't have 1000s of people playing the game...

We'll be singing your praises to SNK for the Steam community's help in sussing out some of the major launch bugs so quickly. Your input will help us get you updates so much faster. Thanks everyone!"

Once they patch it, I'll try it again. It's great they have some communication.

Last edited: