cps3 simms/cps3 frustrations

lalalanasty

Super Sidekicks 2
So I've been try to get third strike to install using the sh2+super bios. I'm using the disk that was provided. Issue is it doesn't get past 20/40/60%. I previously had Jojo and red earth installed with about a 4 month gap between them. What is a sure fire way to determine if the simms are bad. Also the best way to seat them, they have a slight angle to them but I don't want to force them.

I've tried two different boards and cd drives. As well as multiple simms

Last edited:

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Have you tried a different power supply? Maybe the board isn't getting enough power.

lalalanasty

Super Sidekicks 2
You know that's the one thing I haven't tried, when I last installed it I didn't in my astro. I swapped it to my blast after I sold it. If im increasing the voltage on the blast which one am I adjusting.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I've noticed the CPS3 needs a lot more power to flash the simms than it does to just run a game. Even on a nice PSU I can see my 12v struggling when the SIMMS are being written (fluctuates with a volt meter).

Make sure your 5 and 12v levels are on point (maybe 5.1v max at the JAMMA edge). I think it's going to come down more to amps than volts (i.e. 11.8 on a strong high amp psu would be better than 12.2 on a weaker one). I would monitor the 12v level during the write process to see if it's dipping too far.

Last edited:

lalalanasty

Super Sidekicks 2
Yup I PMd him last week, which is where the dead simms idea came from. I've burned a second disk(think 2x is too fast) probably going to burn another at 1x to see if I get a different result

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The mobo works like this...

0: Power on the mobo.
1: Initialize the Bios on the Security Cart.
2. System Memory (Simms) Check.
3. CD-Rom Drive Check.
4.A. Re-write Game, OR
4.B. Start Game:
--Run Program Simms,
--Run Graphics Simms, and
--Run Sound Simms.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
.... What is a sure fire way to determine if the simms are bad. Also the best way to seat them, they have a slight angle to them but I don't want to force them....

1. Flash the simms, a few at a time, with another, different, known good CPS3 setup. Bad or Corrupt Simms transferred over from the suspect CPS3 setup will fail the re-flash test and cause the good CPS3 system to hang no matter what sec. cart and CD you use.

And OEM set up with a low MEG CD, like New Challengers, works good for this process cause the re-writes are fast compared to 3S, which is 2x the size as NC.

2. Put the simm in the slot, naturally, at an angle, and then push it gently back and let it snap in place. The pins in the slot will naturally push the chip back forward a bit and the chips on the side will hold it in place.

At this point, if you really wanted to, you could rock it back and forth a tiny bit, for snugness and good luck, but it's really not necessary. What is important is if the bios can see the simm sitting in the slot or not, and you get the memory error message.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
btw, is your setup hanging with one game, some games, or all games?

lalalanasty

Super Sidekicks 2
From what it looks like just third strike. I think I narrowed it down to the two intel 128 simms. I have two of them they were in slot 4 and it hung at 20/30 I moved it to 6 and it hung at 60%. I don't think red earth or Jojo used slot six which makes sense why I never noticed it till now.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
3S is the only game that uses Slot 6 (or 4x 128 MB Simms).

All other games use 5 simms. These games go up to Slot 5, which can be either a 32 MB or a 128 MB Simm.

In theory, if your Intel 128 MB Simms are suspect, and in slot 6, then, all other games should flash fine, except 3S.

But, in theory, if your Intel 128 MB Simms are suspect, and in slot 3, then, all games should NOT flash fine, including 3S.

I would also presume the re-write process would fail (hang) at the location (percentage) where the suspect simm is located on the board.

Last edited:

lalalanasty

Super Sidekicks 2
Ya I'm pretty sure the Intel simm got moved to slot 6 when I first set everything up but at some point when it wouldn't load I tried swapping them around. I'm currently loading my battery 2I. I'll post results.

I wish we could find somewhere that could recreate cps3 simms. Coming across them is getting harder

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
darksoft already looked into this. He found the simms can be re-made. But, the project didn't get enough interest at the time to warrant a production run.

lalalanasty

Super Sidekicks 2
Ahhhh super lame. So I got 2nd impact to load and boot, so there is it. I have two bad simms 128s at that :sigh: I appreciate all the help.

Next issue/project to tackle "Figuring out why the Ex-board is a POS/ Buying a replaceent mobo and getting it to work"

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Next issue/project to tackle "Figuring out why the Ex-board is a POS/ Buying a replaceent mobo and getting it to work"

I had some success doing it. What I did was bought a replacement board, burned a replacement bios from a dump I did of the Ex Bios and booted.The game knows the board isn't a ex used board cause they have different internal serials or something. So it will ask you to restart the computer every time you boot it. The game will boot, but the box that asks you to restart will cause the game to minimize and you won't be able to open it again. But what happens is if you have a mouse /keyboard connected to it, you can click "No" when it asks to restart, CNTRL ALT DEL to bring up the task manager and force quit the game because even if you try it open it, it will be a black screen. Then go to the area where the game's EXE is and start it up there. It works, but that replacement board died like hours after this.... they are pieces of shit lol..

Last edited:

lalalanasty

Super Sidekicks 2
So I think its the Multicart/cd thats not wanting to complete the instal for some reason. so till I figure that out its gonna be battery 2I