SNKP reports a profit for the year.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
so it's likely we'll get some more mobile games then. As long as they are done as well as Metal Slug Defense and Rhythm of Fighters I won't complain :)

Big Al

Rugal's Thug
Yeah, I agree. Got to go where the money is and I don't think SNKP is set up to compete on the consoles with AAA titles.

My opinion of what's best for the company would be to keep doing mobile games adapting to the popular genres and do HD remasters for the download services for the home consoles.

Sure, I would rather see some triple A games for the latest machines but I don't think it's gonna happen. If they can turn a nice profit for a few years and grow the company again then you never know what could happen in the future.

housethemous

New Challenger
Yeah, I agree. Got to go where the money is and I don't think SNKP is set up to compete on the consoles with AAA titles.

My opinion of what's best for the company would be to keep doing mobile games adapting to the popular genres and do HD remasters for the download services for the home consoles.

Sure, I would rather see some triple A games for the latest machines but I don't think it's gonna happen. If they can turn a nice profit for a few years and grow the company again then you never know what could happen in the future.

I agree doing some more mobile games isn't the worst idea, but haven't they beaten a dead horse with all the IP Re-releases? I'm pretty sure Metal Slug and King Of Fighters are a bit overdone...

Regardless, it's great news that the company is starting to upswing even by a little bit. The couple of new releases this year probably didn't hurt.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I agree doing some more mobile games isn't the worst idea, but haven't they beaten a dead horse with all the IP Re-releases? I'm pretty sure Metal Slug and King Of Fighters are a bit overdone...

umm, yes and no. KOF02UM doesn't have enough re-releases. I'm hoping the Steam version will be good.

Big Al

Rugal's Thug
Yeah that kind of thing will probably give a very high percentage profit for SNKP.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
They're already on 360, no PS3? XB Live just had a big SNK sale, everything was pretty cheap.

I don't have a 360 and don't intend on investing in one. I don't have a 360 ready arcade stick and I like all of my fighters being in one place.

Sucky thing is I of course am missing out on a bunch of great games. All those exclusive games like Guardian Heroes, Virtual On 4, all those Shmups etc.

Although I gotta admit, when SNK had that sale a couple of weeks ago, I was tempted to buy a 360 just for that. Main reason I don't is because I own all of those games on older consoles so I really NEED them. I just want a convenient way to play.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
They can make even more money if they're willing to collect royalties from Neobitz and NGDEV just to let them use Neo-Geo logos on AES and MVS games.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
They can make even more money if they're willing to collect royalties from Neobitz and NGDEV just to let them use Neo-Geo logos on AES and MVS games.

Compared to what they're making from their mobile and console games, the profit from that would be negligible.

Metal-Willis

Super Sidekicks 2
I would think that if they stay mostly in the mobile area for another year (as they are profitable now), they should at least be thinking about some new game to branch out of all their current IP's. Obviously mobile can only hold them for so long as re-releasing games can only take you so far.

Metal-Willis

Super Sidekicks 2
oh they are releasing new games... but they're mobile games (1, 2, 3).

Yeah I know, but I was just thinking about console wise because that's just how I see SNK from growing up......arcade and consoles. Mobile gaming hasn't sunk in for me :annoyed:

Yes, mobile is quick money for them for sure

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
At least that's one step above pachinko. Now they just need to take a few more steps.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
well, maybe the "P" in "SNKP" is not only for "ports" but also for "portable"?

Whatever, I agree, a new console game would be nice...

ulyses31

Crazed MVS Addict
well, maybe the "P" in "SNKP" is not only for "ports" but also for "portable"?

Whatever, I agree, a new console game would be nice...

This.

And maybe a revised NGPC? (Preferably with backlight)

Fygee

20 Year Member
This.

And maybe a revised NGPC? (Preferably with backlight)

That will never, ever, ever, ever happen. Aside from an already incredible amount of competition from hardware manufacturers across all platforms of video games, the company simply doesn't have the money or resources to do it, nor the consumer demand necessary to sell their product even if they were to make it.

They could always employ a third party for it, but I think the Neo-Geo X experience has curbed any enthusiasm they would have otherwise had.

SNKP is sticking strictly with software development outside of whatever pachinko and slot machines they release.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I keep holding out hope that some Chinese maker would make a backlit clone NGPC, like the GB Boy Colour. It's not going to happen, but a nigga can dream.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
That will never, ever, ever, ever happen. Aside from an already incredible amount of competition from hardware manufacturers across all platforms of video games, the company simply doesn't have the money or resources to do it, nor the consumer demand necessary to sell their product even if they were to make it.

They could always employ a third party for it, but I think the Neo-Geo X experience has curbed any enthusiasm they would have otherwise had.

SNKP is sticking strictly with software development outside of whatever pachinko and slot machines they release.

This. If SNK were to release a NGPC2, they would go bankrupt. The amount of money and people needed to develop a console is completely out of SNK's reach. The CPU alone, to develop, it would cost around $100M to $500M alone.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Sadly SNKP will never ever produce any hardware again. The same like Sega. Both can be happy if they survive.

Fygee

20 Year Member
This. If SNK were to release a NGPC2, they would go bankrupt. The amount of money and people needed to develop a console is completely out of SNK's reach. The CPU alone, to develop, it would cost around $100M to $500M alone.

It would only cost that much if they're making a souped up next-gen console or handheld with a proprietary CPU. In this day and age, its better just to license other hardware for use. Sony and Microsoft did that with AMD for the PS4 and Xbone. Ditto for mobile devices with Qualcomm, Intel, and NVIDIA. Even then, I don't think development costs for a NGPC2 would get anywhere near $500M.

If SNKP ever releases new hardware, it will either be first party with licensed hardware from other manufacturers, or third party through another company like Tommo. It would also be a retro styled release like the NGX instead for a small market.

The Neo-Geo X fiasco is too recent for the latter, and they're having plenty of success on Android and iOS to bother doing the former. Why spend money to release a new handheld when you already have millions upon millions of users already established with smart phones? Money is made from software. They're smart by sticking with the plan they've got.

That said, it would behoove them to get cracking on a flagship console release, be it a new KOF or whatever else they have up their sleeves.