Busted consoles and handhelds

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
What do you guys usually do with this kinda stuff?

I'm lazy and impatient so I tend to give up on difficult (to me) fixes within a day or so. Usually just sell them or give em away.

Right now ive got gamecubes ps1s gamegears ds lites and other stuff that makes me think I should be able to do something with all this. So much junk

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
I enjoy fixing stuff and have enough space that I can house a few projects. What's busted about the stuff you got? Maybe we can help you troubleshoot the easy fixes.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
What do you guys usually do with this kinda stuff?

I'm lazy and impatient so I tend to give up on difficult (to me) fixes within a day or so. Usually just sell them or give em away.

Right now ive got gamecubes ps1s gamegears ds lites and other stuff that makes me think I should be able to do something with all this. So much junk

Game gears are usually just a cap kit if its the disc read problem on the ps1/game cubes those are pretty simple to fix as wsll

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
The Game Gears do need caps but i'm not sure what value of caps it needs and the cheepest place to get them. There is a set of caps on Amazon that cost more then Game Gears themselves combined.

I have 3 busted PS1s and they all have controller deck problems. They wont read controllers for some reason. Everything else works fine. I've tried some of suggestions on the internet but whatever I tried didn't work.

As for the Gamecubes yeah a couple of them were Disc Read Errors. Not sure which ones at this point. I dissasembled them all and now they are all in a big Gamecube box.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
The Game Gears do need caps but i'm not sure what value of caps it needs and the cheepest place to get them. There is a set of caps on Amazon that cost more then Game Gears themselves combined.

chinese caps on ebay. literally $2 shipped.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Any time I get something I can not fix I keep it for parts. I can't tell you how many times I have fixed other people's consoles with parts from my own dead consoles.

Last edited:

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
I have a SNES deck that turns on but gives no audio or video over anything -- no luck with 1st party Composite, 3rd party S-Video, or 3rd party RF. All 3, as well as game and power adapter, are known working with another deck. Deck has also been cleaned, repeatedly.

It does "fuzz" slightly when the power switch is flipped, but nothing beyond that. Power LED turns on. Any ideas?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
chinese caps on ebay. literally $2 shipped.

Eh, I could definitely tell the difference between the Game Gear that I recapped with cheap caps and the one that I used good ones on.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Eh, I could definitely tell the difference between the Game Gear that I recapped with cheap caps and the one that I used good ones on.

yeah but on a $15 game gear? at that point is it worth getting a 10-15 dollar cap kit?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Sounds great but which kind of caps do I need?

How so?
Audio and visual quality, the one with the good caps had a better looking screen, and cleaner audio with no humming or anything.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
The way to go is to place one big order from Mouser that will cover your needs for years. Then you have whatever you need on hand.
Order bulk caps and whatever else you could use all at once...more solder, flux, wire, etc and the cost of shipping is worth it.
When your ordering caps in lots of 50-100 you can get good Japanese/European caps for pennies each.

People that know consoles better can probably suggest a few I missed.

Basic aluminum electro caps 16V cover most needs. Nichicon or Panasonic 105C

200pcs 10uF
100pcs 47uF
100pcs 22uF
100pcs 100uF
20pcs 4.7uF
20pcs 220uF

Couple other electros that are handy to have

20pcs 470uF 25V
10pcs 1000uF 25V
10pcs 3300uF 25V
10pcs 1uF 50V
10pcs 2.2uF 50V
10pcs 10uF 16V Bipolar

Ceramic disk or MLCC 50V
10pcs each

102-1000pF
222-2200pF
103-10,000pF
0.1uF
1uF

It may seem like a bit up front, but after getting hit $7 a few times to ship small cap orders it's worth it. Plus there is usually a huge price break when ordering in multiples of 100.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
^ Damn dude thanks for the info.

This is gonna be extremely useful to me.

ahuffman

n00b
I have a broken n64 and SNES that I keep telling myself I will fix someday, but it has not happened yet. I am pretty sure that the n64 just needs a good cleaning, but the SNES will probably be more involved. I will probably give that to someone else who can actually solder.