TurboDuo CD Problem

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I have a US TurboDuo that I just did a laser replacement on. The laser was no longer reading CD-R's so I figured it was starting to go. Well the laser appears to be working (it moves on its track and I see the lense move up and down) but the CD won't spin. It's like the spindle isn't getting power or something. There is absolutely no CD movement at all. The laser just moves to the ready position (right next to the spindle) and moves up and down a few times while the CD stays stationary. It then says "Please Set Disc".

The unit was just recapped and was working fine before the laser replacement so that can't be the problem. I also have the CD lid button held down so that's not it (it doesn't say that the lid is open). I tried swapping in the old laser again and the CD still didn't spin so I don't think the laser is the issue either. None of the wires inside look broken either.

I can't see how I could have broken anything, replacing the laser was a snap. Nothing hard about it and it went smoothly. I'm completely stumped on this.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I mean it is odd that it happened right after you swapped the laser, did you accidentally forget to connect a cable, or put it on wrong/backwards?

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
The two cables are different sizes and keyed so you can't put them on backwards. That was my first thought as well.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Can you try wiggling the ribbon cables to see if it starts working, maybe something is bent or crimped etc, or somehow not seated on a pin correctly.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Tried that too. No dice.

For what it's worth, the cables all look fine.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Unless the dust cover, and console top/lid isn't set correctly, I'm not sure what else it could be. The fact that it worked before this swap points to something being wrong on the re-assembly or something brittle being broken most likely.
Sorry man, I'm sure there are more skilled people here who can help advise.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
where did you get the laser? it wont spin if it doesn't detect a cd

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I got it from eBay. From a seller that everyone said they got theirs from.

So it won't spin if it can't detect a cd? Could the new laser need some sort if adjustment? Or could the lens be dirty? Are they really fragile? Could it have been damaged in shipping somehow?

I tried putting the old laser back in but it still didn't spin. I wonder what that means? To me that says there's another problem.

RoadBuster

Crossed Swords Squire
Was there a cover or something over the lens when you got it? When I got a new PS3 BD laser, I had to remove a tab from near the lens.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
It's dumb but, did you try as simple as cleaning the lens off? Only other thing I can think of is that the laser assembly hasn't been inserted right, like it is at an angle to the disc, so it's trying to read the data at an angle.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I can try cleaning it off when I get back (I'm on vacation for the next few days), but then why doesn't the old one work?

I thought about the angle thing too but there really isn't any way to do that with this system since it's on two metal rails.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Look for the potentiometer and try adjusting it. Either move it a tiny bit to the left or right. If the laser doesn't detect a cd on start up the drive won't spin. The new laser could be faulty as well. I hear from a guy who repairs old school consoles that he gets defective lasers from ebay all the time. He has to play the return replace game a few times before he gets a good one.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I don't see a pot to adjust. The laser could be bad I suppose, but then why wouldn't the old one work? I'm wondering if it isn't a wiring issue.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Bah, it says I have to register to see. I'll have to do that later. What was the topic about?

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
Is there an ESD solder blob that you need to remove on the assembly?

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Nope it's a pop in replacement. All you have to do is unplug two cables and slide it off the rails. Really simple.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I just got back from being out of town so I can test a few more things.

I did a basic continuity test on the two ribbon cables and they came back fine. However the white connector has a yellow cable in the middle of it that I can't figure out where it goes. It appears to go into a wrapped bundle of wires from the ribbon cable and disappears. I'm sure the cable is fine and I really don't want to start unwrapping wire bundles, but it's odd. Anyone know where it goes?

The lens looked fine, but it cleaned it off anyway. No dice. If I don't have a CD in there I can see it move up and down like it's trying to focus (and hear it). I'm guessing that's a good sign that the assembly itself it ok?

I'm out of ideas to try. Can I bribe anyone here to take a look at it for me?

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I tried adjusting the pot that's responsible for the spindle rotation but that didn't do anything (not surprising). At this point I'm wondering if I broke a wire somewhere that I can't detect.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
As Voultar said, is there a blob to lock the laser in place? Almost all lasers whether xbox360, or PC Engine/PSX have these blobs? I had to remove them on my Duo-R laser, Sega Saturn and 360 when I did replacements.