Golden Axe: The Revenge sounds weird...

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I am attempting to repair a sound issue on a Golden Axe: The Revenge board. Some of the music instruments sound like little "tick" sounds. I have already reseated the sound roms. I am in the process of verifying the sound roms, but I am not sure what type of chip to call the one megabyte mask roms(MPR-14942, MPR-14943, & MPR-19444). I've already verified MPR-14945 as it is a 27C100 and I make an adapter for it according to channelmaniac's description on another site.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Hmmm, MPR-14945 is a 64kb rom not a 27c100.

The 1MB roms are probably 27c080s or some variation. Let me double check with a system 32 board I have here.

Edit: Yup 27c080.

Last edited:

Black IcE

15 Year Member
Excellent. Thanks for the help in identifying the chip type. They all verified perfectly. Guess it's time to start looking for cut traces.. Woo Hoo !!

Edit: Could bad caps cause the instruments to sound weird/ticky maybe ?

I'll have to post up a video....

Last edited:

Fox1

20 Year Member
It's always possible. Check the sound chips themselves as well. I've had maybe 6 System 32 boards and 2 of them had sound problems. They are really finicky boards. To be honest, I'd suggest getting another motherboard and comparing. Would save you a lot of time.

Black IcE

15 Year Member
Can I take the rom board off of golden axe and swap it on to a spiderman board without any additional modifications to anything ? Sorry for the noob questions, but I have little experience with system 32 games.

Fox1

20 Year Member
Can I take the rom board off of golden axe and swap it on to a spiderman board without any additional modifications to anything ? Sorry for the noob questions, but I have little experience with system 32 games.

Yup, that's no problem. They are usually on tight so, so be careful.

Black IcE

15 Year Member
Well after looking at the board and operator's manual for a while, I discovered that jumper 22 on the rom board was in the wrong position. After moving it to the correct position and giving it a spin, the sound is working great now. Silly cause but I'm glad it's working now.

Thanks for the help Fox1, I appreciate it!

Last edited: