MV-2F Black screen, no boot

douglie007

n00b
I have a MV-2F board that I think might be a bad BIOS but I wanted to run it by some experts on these things before I spend money for nothing. I tried different carts that I know work ( have a working MV-1F ) but I didnt want to chance messing my working one up by swapping the BIOS to check. I mostly work on home consoles and have no issues figuring out whats wrong but this is my first time trouble shooting an Arcade board ( I also have a wrestlemania with graphical glitches that I think might be RAM ) any suggestions one what to look for would be awesome

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Check to make sure hard DIP 7 isn't on, that one halts the CPU.

douglie007

n00b
Check to make sure hard DIP 7 isn't on, that one halts the CPU.

So the switch was on, but then I turned it off, and turned the system back on, I now have a brighter screen but still doesn't try to boot anything. The red led on the board comes on, but thats the only sign of life

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
switch 7 is FREE PLAY,switch 8 is the PAUSE so make sure switch 8 is not set to the ON position.make sure switch 8 is off.
BB

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yeah that's right, I was thinking of the wrong hard DIP. 8 is the right one.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yeah you should see about the BIOS now. Although a completely bad or missing BIOS should give a click of death symptom, it's possible your board has an EPROM BIOS and it's lost a bit of data somewhere and now it won't load any games. I can't really think of any other possibilities at the moment. Most boot to black problems are caused by hard DIP 8 being left on.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I would definitely go on the bios.
Might not be the case, but it often comes from there, at least from the ones I had here.
Swapped with a good bios and it was ready to go.

douglie007

n00b
I looked at the manual, but I think I can move my bios from my mv-1 to the mv2f for testing, they are both slotted

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Burn (or buy) a copy of SMK dan diagnostics bios - That might help. If you've got a unibios that might also point out a potential problem.

douglie007

n00b
the plot thickens, after looking at ever inch of the board I found that the surfacemount chip 89080702 /9133ek702 had pins between 41 and 80 mashed in and touching each other, or I desoldered them and painstakingly bent them back in to place, added new solder and now I have a screen that comes up with " Video RAM ERROR, Address 00000C1B Write 5555 Read 55D5 " is this from the chip that was damaged, and is it repalceable /fixable?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Yes, strangely the upper bit there is high when it shouldn't be, but since its not at $0000 then I guess it does look like the RAM. Worth check that chip again I think. I don't recognise that chip number, can you show a photo?

55 = 01010101
D5 = 11010101

I think that address relates to the 62256 Video RAM chips (SRAM). There are plenty of equivalents you can use but they are typically surface mounted.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
That looks like the NEO-B1 chip! If the pins are all OK on there now and you still get that error I would suspect it could be the Video RAM then as reported. Not sure if thats the 2 chips underneath the quad flat pack (LSPC2) to the right (just below slightly). I think its marked 42256 on the board. I am not 100% sure, just going off the error and what I think are the right chips there.

EDIT: BTW - that battery (top left) looks original! Take that off straight away!

EDIT2: Also looks like it might be leaking on the right side?

Last edited:

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
It's what Gadget UK said...it will be the ram that has D0-D7 connected to pin41-48 of the LSPC2

douglie007

n00b
It's what Gadget UK said...it will be the ram that has D0-D7 connected to pin41-48 of the LSPC2

I am at home now and the chip that was damaged was the LSPC chip, I circled the wrong one, and pin 41-48 is the damaged side. so I need to count up the pins to find the one with the issue? MV2 - 01 is the board, the Mv2F was another one I was working with, I dont think that makes a big difference ( here is the pin out of the chip that is damaged https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=LSPC-A0 it has pins 50 - 65 was the bent pins )

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I think you should be looking at this:- https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=LSPC2-A2 It's an LSPC2-A2 I think? In any case, the bent pin there looks to be DOT-A which could have previously shorted to DOT-B or the NTSC/PAL pin. I don't think its related. You need to look at swapping out the RAM chip as bustedstr8 suggested!

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Just to check, are you saying that pins 50 to 65 were all bent on the LSPC2-A2?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Ouch!!! Still think it's the VRAM due to the address referenced.

douglie007

n00b
Ouch!!! Still think it's the VRAM due to the address referenced.

so I got a better magnifier and there are 2 legs broke on the chip.... so I have to replace it . or can I replace it? I dont know where to get one.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
It might still be repairable. You can use a dremel diamond bit and grind away some of the package to get enough space to use jumper wires.