play imports on the playstation

DeusVult

Another Striker
I recently got a couple of model 1 playstations that my mate was about to throw, both are pal and I want to play import games on one of them.

i know you can chip it, anyone know where to get these? or is there a better way of doing this

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Get a cheap Japanese PS2. The PS1 console laser doesn't last long.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Depends on if you'd want something to do with the optional hard drive.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
swapdisk? I've got one of those itty bitty ones and when I checked (long ago) it was my only choice.

DeusVult

Another Striker

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I used to do the swap disc, but the part of the spindle that kind of snaps the disc in place is very fragile on the playstation, so I don't recommend it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
swapdisk? I've got one of those itty bitty ones and when I checked (long ago) it was my only choice.
The chip I linked to works on the psone, but it's a little more difficult since the solder points are super tiny and you need to use 30 awg wire which sucks all the balls.

DeusVult

Another Striker
The chip I linked to works on the psone, but it's a little more difficult since the solder points are super tiny and you need to use 30 awg wire which sucks all the balls.

could be an issue as my soldering iron is crap bought it from maplin and it sucks ass, need to buy a good one

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
I would get a Japanese PS1/PS2 (they've gotten cheap) before modding unless you need/want the soldering practice or plan on playing backups. In that case, I would just go full emulator at that point as most PS1 games look better on a decent PC than they do on a "smooth"ed PS2.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Just a thought...

Have you tried an import game on either console yet? As 'chipping' was such a big deal over here at the time, near enough EVERY PS1 I've picked up 2nd hand/loose has always been chipped already.