flux. yay or nay?

flux?

• Total voters

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Hey!

Few days ago, I posted a video on how to do some through hole soldering:

I did not, however, mention anything about flux. I may be getting myself in trouble here but I don't use it. Never have.

Someone tipped me off that the srk tech talk facebook group is now picking the video apart, with it being split 50/50.

So I ask you, who's guidance I trust above all others:

Flux, yay or nay?

Last edited:

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
I've done both, sometimes it feels like it helps the solder get attracted to the contacts or what have you but sometimes not. I usually forget to use it though.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Lemony DRAMAA, my favorite flavor :drool_2:

I always like your videos, come a looonnngg way since that one where you helped me understand the blast’s jamma+ 4&5 buttons vs kick row. As I’m sure you know, I cannot answer your question. :emb: Just wanted to express support, I look forward to learning something about flux.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Those troglodytes at SRK dunno wtf they are talking about. You are using flux...it's in the wire core. :p

The only stupidly small thing to nitpick about is when your tried to reflow that second joint a few times.
If it doesn't fix itself after the first reflow it won't a second or third time either, since the flux is burnt off.
I like to keep a syringe of rework flux handy for quick touchups, just a tiny dab will do the trick.

This stuff works great...and it smells like honey too

smd291.jpg

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If I'm using brand new components, I just use flux core solder and it does the trick. No need to bother with additional flux. Rework or desoldering, or older / oxidized stuff on the other hand, flux can be very helpful getting good heat transfer quickly to avoid damage to components.

Edit: this amazingly old school soldering tutorial is still my favorite; it did wonders for the quality of my work.

Last edited:

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
For through hole, no. You should be using flux/rosin cored solder anyway, so you dont need to add extra flux.
Unless you are doing something wrong, either with the technique or the tools being used are no good enough .It is not necessary for through hole components.

Lemony Vengeance

For through hole, no. You should be using flux/rosin cored solder anyway, so you dont need to add extra flux.
Unless you are doing something wrong, either with the technique or the tools being used are no good enough .It is not necessary for through hole components.

Your opinion ESPECIALLY is one I hold above most others. Thanks!

I indeed use rosin core solder, so I'm covered.

As for drama, the people nay-saying are members here, we've clashed before. Won't name names though.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I don't find flux necessary for through hole soldering (using rosin cored solder), but it is quite handy with SMD soldering. My votes on 'yay'.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I say "Yay" to flux. I find rosin core solder to be as useful as a broke dick dog. I find it makes the actual soldering process go quicker and makes better joints. It's a pain in the ass when you thru hole solder if for some reason you don't get a good joint and you have to spend time touching it up or figuring out which joint is the faulty one.

Soldering is like painting. There are those who are anal about the process and finished product and others are happy enough with "the job is finished" and don't care about looks just functionality. Hence why you see a 50/50 split on your video.

Lemony Vengeance

I say "Yay" to flux. I find rosin core solder to be as useful as a broke dick dog. I find it makes the actual soldering process go quicker and makes better joints. It's a pain in the ass when you thru hole solder if for some reason you don't get a good joint and you have to spend time touching it up or figuring out which joint is the faulty one.

Soldering is like painting. There are those who are anal about the process and finished product and others are happy enough with "the job is finished" and don't care about looks just functionality. Hence why you see a 50/50 split on your video.

Good points.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I voted Nay because I do not use any additional flux, only the one that comes with the core of the solder. Then again, I only solder through hole components, so maybe that's why I don't seem to need it.

Regards.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Through hole - No. SMD - almost a necessity to do it right/clean.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
is great but using it constantly is a waste for most soldering the flux in solder core is enough for most projects

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I find rosin core solder to be as useful as a broke dick dog.
Me too, I use flux on everything makes life so much easier.
On the other hand I know people who don't use it at all.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Rosin Core (has flux)

I use flux for through holes with larger pads, like Flyback pins etc and older pads that are pesky.

A must for desoldering IMO though.

SRK tech forum can eat dicks, bunch of hot glue loving morons.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

Exactly this.

only time I use flux on through hole is if I am trying to remove solder from a through hole and I feel lazy to get the 808 out and just use the desoldering braid.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Agreed with shadows.

I've always used rosin core solder for my projects. Tutorials that say you NEED flux to complete a simple wiring job before you solder is for complete n00bs. Flux isn't needed for what you were doing, Lem. Eff those nay sayers at SRK.

Is there a good place to get rosin core solder from or brand? I'm just using Rat Shack stuff, ATM.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
not using the right tip, the right size solder, not the right temp or a combo of these are why most use flux on everything. flux should be used rarely external to whats in rosin core flux.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Is there a good place to get rosin core solder from or brand? I'm just using Rat Shack stuff, ATM.
Kester 44 or 245 and something with a small diameter around .020

not using the right tip, the right size solder, not the right temp or a combo of these are why most use flux on everything. flux should be used rarely external to whats in rosin core flux.
Exactly.

Also if you have a conical tip, get rid of it and get a small screwdriver style one like 1/16". Which is perfect for must things, and a bigger one 3/16" for parts with a big thermal mass. It makes a huge difference.