Turbo Duo Sound Issue - Sounds like microphone feedback!

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
Hey guys,

Non-NG related, but I'm repairing a Turbo Duo and after the system warms up (like 10 minutes of playtime), there's this loud microphone feedback like sound that comes from the TV.

I've got no clue what it is, however I will be creating a probe tool to test audio chips and try to literally hear what each pin is producing.

I'm not sure if it's the 5205 chip, but I replaced all the caps and they're definitely not the solution to this particular problem.

I will try to post videos later to show what the sound is like. It's definitely something I've never heard of from any console..

If you have any input, please share. Thanks!

hezkezl

n00b
It could be a grounding issue. Probably not a filter issue since you replaced the caps and are getting the same result.

It might be worthwhile to touch up the solder joints on your audio out port. If your ground is losing connection as the console warms up, you may be experiencing a ground loop.

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
It could be a grounding issue. Probably not a filter issue since you replaced the caps and are getting the same result.

It might be worthwhile to touch up the solder joints on your audio out port. If your ground is losing connection as the console warms up, you may be experiencing a ground loop.

You could be right.. I noticed that if I lightly tap the table the Duo sits on while playing, the whole screen becomes a garbled funk, fades out and then comes back.. The AV 8-pin port is what I use and I noticed that it's slightly wobbly, and I have not yet added any AV jacks yet.

I'm going to check that tonight and post some pics of the results.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I have heard on more than one occasion of a loose AV port on a Duo.

Usually reflowing all the solder joints to it fixes it.

That thing definitely should not move if pressed.

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
I have heard on more than one occasion of a loose AV port on a Duo.

Usually reflowing all the solder joints to it fixes it.

That thing definitely should not move if pressed.

That HAS to be it then, it's wobbly with the lightest touch. I mean not like it's coming off the board but the plastic piece at least is.. I'm going to re-flow all the solder and cross my fingers!!

GTRetro87

Kabuki Klasher
So I had forgotten to post pics and a video (because I accidentally deleted them off my phone).. but I re-soldered the pins underneath the 8-pin AV port and let a HuCard and then a CD game play for 30 mins each.

So far, things look good and there are no issues with sound. Except the AV port still is VERY sensitive to movement or any sort of tapping, and sometimes when that happens the screen goes blank and then garbled again, then normal.

It's funny though, the plastic part of the port has a little play, but the pins are solid and looked solid before re-soldering.. I don't know... I'm thinking of just throwing on some AV jacks out back and hopefully that should make things more solid.

Thank you hezkezl and broken for the advice!!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
So far, things look good and there are no issues with sound. Except the AV port still is VERY sensitive to movement or any sort of tapping, and sometimes when that happens the screen goes blank and then garbled again, then normal.

Sounds like the connector is just worn out.

Personally, I would just desolder the connector and install a new one to be safe.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't have the model number right now, but Mouser has drop in replacements for a couple of bucks.