NES / Famicom - RGB + 60hz

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Can anyone give me an update on what the present state of play is with regard to the 8 bit NES / Famicom i.e.
- 60hz - some reading I done on this suggests that there is no easy / good way of modding a PAL 50hz system to NTSC 60hz - can you confirm? That leaves imported US or JP machines - any differences in terms of performance / hardware? For the US market NES is the front loader or the top loader preferred?
- RGB - last time I checked some solutions were being developed to enable one to get RGB without having to source a Playchoice 10 chip. Any further news on this? Ideally I am looking for some kind of solution similar to what Broken has devised with the PCE - a board which you can solder in which would give the possibility of RGB output. Given this point are any of the available 60hz NES seen as better / preferred with such a mod in mind?

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
There's the NESRGB which has been around for nearly a year, I'm actually surprised you haven't heard of it yet: http://etim.net.au/nesrgb/index.htm

Thanks for this - I guess I am finding it hard to stay on top of all the different systems and developments :D
It looks as if the installation is not entirely a simple one but still doable.
I will probably want to go through with this at some point, in the meantime I will keep my eyes open for a 60hz NES machine.