Anyone know how to Mirror a file? Like a SNES Rom?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I can not figure out how to do this. I need to double a few files to get them to fit on a EEPROM.

For example say I have a file called mygame.smc which is 2MB in size. I want it to be 4MB in size so I want to mirror it. How would I go about doing this?

From what I gather I can use a hex editor, or I can make a custom batch file. I heard hex editing is easy, but I just don't get it. I would prefer to do whatever is easiest.

So I am looking at HxD hex editor software, and I have a ROM loaded up. Do I simply "ctrl+A" to select all then paste all the files at the end of the editor? And If I do this should I remove the header first? I think that would make sense.

Last edited:

purple

Geese's Thug
im using xvi hex editor and using insert option to double the file

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
I'm not sure if this works in windows but in unix you can do something like:

cat file1 file1 > file2

file2 will be file1 doubled or mirrored as you're describing it.

Edit: This works in windows too, just open a cmd prompt ( start->run->type 'cmd') . You'll need to 'cd' into the directory with the files.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You should always remove any headers put on the roms.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
OK, I will try those. I dual boot windows 7 pro and Linux Ubuntu14.02 64. I have to be able to figure something out.

@ Purple, I will try that. Thank you.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
If your using HxD you go to Extras>File Tools>Concatenate and then add the files to the box and rename the output file you want.
So if you where doing Little Magic you would add (Little Magic.sfc) then add (Little Magic.sfc) again. Then rename your output file...something like Little Magic_8Mb.sfc

You can check your roms in the editor for the headers. They should all end in $FFFF. A 512KB file will end at $7FFFF and a 1MB file will end at $FFFFF. A headered 1MB file would be $1001FF. If they don't you need to strip the 512B header(IFC its 512) from the rom to get a file that is exactly 512KB or 1MB.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
If your using HxD you go to Extras>File Tools>Concatenate and then add the files to the box and rename the output file you want.
So if you where doing Little Magic you would add (Little Magic.sfc) then add (Little Magic.sfc) again. Then rename your output file...something like Little Magic_8Mb.sfc

You can check your roms in the editor for the headers. They should all end in $FFFF. A 512KB file will end at $7FFFF and a 1MB file will end at $FFFFF. A headered 1MB file would be $1001FF. If they don't you need to strip the 512B header(IFC its 512) from the rom to get a file that is exactly 512KB or 1MB.

I will have to try this. I just copied all the files a few minutes ago and repasted at the end. I was greeted with a snes piracy screen. I have also been trying to use Lunar Expand to just expand the file, since its seems like the culprit is extra sram. I hopes just expanding the file would eliminate that. But it just boots a black screen.

Grrrr... I just did what you did. Anti-Piracy screen again.

I need to figure out how to make that not happen. I might be screwed until I can get the correct chip sizes.

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I will have to try this. I just copied all the files a few minutes ago and repasted at the end. I was greeted with a snes piracy screen. I have also been trying to use Lunar Expand to just expand the file, since its seems like the culprit is extra sram. I hopes just expanding the file would eliminate that. But it just boots a black screen.

Grrrr... I just did what you did. Anti-Piracy screen again.

I need to figure out how to make that not happen. I might be screwed until I can get the correct chip sizes.

Cartridge copiers were popular back in the days and since these use more RAM the SNES might know this by checking how much RAM is allocated and thus displaying the warning screen.
Dunno exactly what the aim is of what you are doing but I guess you should either get the correct size RAM or just get an everdrive.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Cartridge copiers were popular back in the days and since these use more RAM the SNES might know this by checking how much RAM is allocated and thus displaying the warning screen.
Dunno exactly what the aim is of what you are doing but I guess you should either get the correct size RAM or just get an everdrive.

I'm flashing games to PCB's. I was trying to flash a Earthbound Uncut Restored. But I was using a 8MB flash instead of the 4MB because I had one I purchased on accident and needed to fill it up. Plus I needed to practice some mirroring. But it's OK, I managed to patch a PAL Terranigma with NTSC, mirror it, and got it working flawless. So I am a happy camper for now. I will just try EB Restored when my 4MB chips come in the mail.

# Bustedstr8 - Thank you for the information. That was exactly what I needed to know. I never would have figured that out on my own. You're the man!

Asure

Captain Dick,
Erase the 8MB. Copy EB to the lower half, and Terranigma to the upper half. Now you can use a switch on the highest Addy line to switch between those two games..