Testing +5v on MV-1F

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I have a rather noob-ish question despite being a cab owner for many years.

At some point I messed with the +5v dial on my power supply and I suspect it could be turned a little too low, either that or one of the quick disconnects from the JAMMA connector to the PSU terminals could be loose, because sometimes a game will randomly restart.

Someone please confirm this: the way to test +5V is simply by putting the negative lead of the multitester on the +5V PSU terminal screw, and the positive lead on the right contact on the JAMMA edge, correct?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Just put the negative tip on one of the ground pins on the Jamma edge and then take the positive tip and put it on the 5v pin. That will tell you the load at the Jamma edge. I recommend like Xian Xi says, check a chip and the far end of the board. The whole board shouldn't least be getting 5v.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I usually test at the jamma board connector. I put black on ground (pin 1 on the jamma harness) and red (postive) on pin 3 for 5v. If you want to test 12v, just substitute pin 3 for pin 6.

Just make sure your multimeter has ground on the black wire, and red for positive. Sometimes you can switch them up.

I know this sounds dumb, but have you tried cleaning your carts real good and the cart connection? I've seen that reset a system before.

jamma_pinout.png

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Thank you both very much. I tested for 5v and it was a little low, so I adjusted it so that it reads exactly 5.00v now. Good suggestion about the carts - that could very well be an issue because I only cleaned a lot of these when I first got them, now that I think about it. We'll see if it resets again...

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I've found that even if you religiously clean them (like I do) if you switch enough carts, dirt will accumulate. Seems to be the nature of cart based systems if you play a lot of games.

Probably a good idea to clean the jamma edge connector on the mvs mobo to. Just like a cart slot, if it is dirty it will create more resistance thus less power.