Playstation SCPH-1001 Laser Swap...

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I found my old PSX 1001 on my trip back home to Maui. I brought it home with me to Portland.

I forgot what I did to it, but when I powered it up, the BIOS screen loads and takes me to the main menu. When I press the lid switch, the lens moves up and down but the spindle doesn't spin.

As far as I know, it's still the stock laser (whatever the 1001 came with). I've seen vids of people swapping the 101 (PSOne) laser assembly and directly swapped out the 5001's assembly, but the vid didn't show if it worked after the fix.

I guess what I'm getting at is; can I get a 101's laser assembly and use that to replace the 1001's laser assembly? 101's pop up in thrift stores every now and then for $10 or less, so there's no shortage of getting them to pilfer for the laser assembly.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
The 1001 laser swap isn't bad, when I did it on mine I used a new repro Chinese laser. Works fine for me, but I've heard people's results have varied with them.

I'm not absolutely sure about using later model lasers since I haven't done it myself, but it should be possible with little to no modding.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I figure it'll just take some tuning to get the laser just right, correct? I've been kinda skeptical with those Chinese repro ones.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've put a newer model PS1 laser in a launch unit before. It wasn't a direct drop in but you can make it work without too much difficulty. I'm sorry I can't give specifics, it was years ago when I did it. These days, I'd just order a chinese clone laser like was suggested above.

Hitokiri

Crossed Swords Squire
I've tried 2 Diferent Chinese Clones before and both failed to work.
I know they've worked for some people, but sadly I'm not one of them.