PVM tech Help

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Tested an AES today and for some strange reason someone put 10v on the sync pin so now my monitor doesn't show any picture.

I hope this is an easy fix.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Tested an AES today and for some strange reason someone put 10v on the sync pin so now my monitor doesn't show any picture.

I hope this is an easy fix.

Is this just through the rgb inputs or all inputs?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I only tested the RGB one (DB25). It's a PVM 2530. I'll check the others.

If it's just the rgb input, you may need to check the diodes on the inside the pvm. It's a big hassle to take apart the pvm and get to it though.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
S-video works fine. So I guess I need to open this thing up. Should I just recap it as well?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
S-video works fine. So I guess I need to open this thing up. Should I just recap it as well?

Only if you feel adventurous. It's a daunting task to recap a pvm. One more thing. When the rgb input blew, it took a few of the TTL chips with it so you may want to desolder some of them and check them if you have that function on your eprom reader.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Only if you feel adventurous. It's a daunting task to recap a pvm. One more thing. When the rgb input blew, it took a few of the TTL chips with it so you may want to desolder some of them and check them if you have that function on your eprom reader.

Got it. This already sucks.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
why the fuck would someone do that, is there even a reason to want 10v on the av port?

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
That sounds all kinds of no fun. However, the S-video working is really promising. A lot of the stuff in a PVM is analog, you might get away with running sync into your Luma input and RGB in the others and getting something up. Probably going to have to solder that past the switching chip (might just be an MUX, but probably a Sony brand video switching IC). That will probably a lot easier than hunting down what TTL chips blew.

PVMs can be easy to work on once you take them apart. I found a lot of chips for my 29" had datasheets online and pinouts were easy to get a hold of. Bless those analog monitors !

-Segasonicfan

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Finally done. I just shotguned anything attached to the sync line; TTLs, transistors and diodes. The 12v burned the trace off the board and arced and hit the one next to it, luckily I didn't have it on too long as the diodes did their job but the heat damaged two diodes, didn't check the TTLs(will do that later), just replaced them since the PVM was made in 1990. Once everything was put back together, picture was back.

When I opened the back of the PVM, that is a LOT of caps, fuck that...lol

Thanks a bunch Dean for the help.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Oh and the actual repair only took about 30 minutes total of disassembly, swap and reassembly. Since I had to move a few things to get to the PVM and had to swing it around I ended up cleaning my work room since I'm Filipino I can't just leave the dust on the ground, had to clean it up then ended up rearranging shit.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just tested the pulled TTLs and looks like the only one that went bad was the 74LS11 @2302.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The interesting thing is that the top right corner that had discoloration is now gone, too...lol

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
The interesting thing is that the top right corner that had discoloration is now gone, too...lol

That sounds like a degauss issue. That should get fixed whenever you unplug and plug in the monitor (and turn it on).

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That sounds like a degauss issue. That should get fixed whenever you unplug and plug in the monitor (and turn it on).

Did that many times. Even the previous owner had the same problem in that corner, that's why I was pleasantly surprised that it was gone.