Neo geo cd top loader laser help

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Hi all,

I fitted a new laser in my neo geo top loader and all I get is 'insert cd'

I compared the laser to the original and I couldn't find the static solder spot that needs removing.

Any ideas on what I can try to get it working?

Thanks
B

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Nobody replaced a laser, lol

Surely someone can help me out?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Neoturfmasta probably knows more about the cd system than anybody, but he's overseas on a trip right now.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
The top loader is pretty darn easy to work with. With the system open post up some high res pics and we will get it sorted out.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
I can post some pics but there is not much to show. I installed the laser eactly the same as the old one. The laser moves up and down and bobs in/out. I just can't see any red laser or motor spin.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Are you meant to see the red laser as I can't see anything when I press the lid down button

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
iirc, cd lasers are infrared, so you're not going to see anything.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Ah ok that clears that one up then. Do you think it could be something else other than the laser as why the motor isint starting and it just says insert cd. I have a replacement motor system also and changed that also but it's still the same.

Last edited:

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Ok anyone know what else I can try, I really want to play some neo cd games.

Last edited:

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
I attached a AAA battery to the motor and the CD turned fine so I am sure that part is fine. Is there something on the motherboard that may of blown so the motor isn't powering on correctly?

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
motors rarelllly go bad. I've working on a lot of 90s CD consoles and never seen one die myself. I hear it happens to other people though.
Sounds like your laser is biting the dust, very common, especially at this age. I would look for a replacement.

You can see if the laser moves up and down when you push in the lid sensor switch. How they work is they first do that to see if there is a disc, then they spin and seek for the first track.

If you are really desperate there is a potentiometer you can adjust on the laser usually. But it's a long shot. Only do that if you are sure the laser is going muerte.

-Segasonicfan

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
I attached a battery to the motor and I could see the disc spinning fine. If I push the laser up and press the lid close button the laser moves down the rails and starts bobbing. I also took the reading off the old laser pot and matched it using my multi reader.

I think it's something on the motherboard but what I don't know.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
don't rule out the possibility that the new laser you installed had something wrong with it upon arrival

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
don't rule out the possibility that the new laser you installed had something wrong with it upon arrival

exactly. a lot of these "new" lasers have problems. Too bad its such a rare system so u cant get another to test on easily. I would suggest possibly adjusting the pots on the old laser.

If it moves up and down and engages and all, I strongly doubt your motherboard has any problems whatsoever. Especially if you get video out and it says no disk.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Hummmm ok so you suggest putting the old laser back in and testing that?

Ok I will give it a shot

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Just the old laser and...... Same ahhhhh this is slightly doing my head in now. Lol

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I've posted this on your YT vid as well:-

Did you swap out the drive main PCB at all? The reason I ask is at lunch today I worked out the fault on my Saturn is not the laser or motor, but likely the BTL driver chip. Looking at your drive logic board you also have a similar chip there (BA6396FP). That drives the motors - if that has failed like mine has then you won't get a spinning disk regardless. You could try getting a spare chip and swapping out that chip. I've got a different model on order for my Saturn at the moment - I believe in my case the 'swap trick' by a previous owner has caused the motor driver to fail.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
That part on EBAY is the wrong part btw. Didn't spot until now. I've ordered a few of the correct part from China.

Last edited: