Full Neo Geo MVS Collection – Shockboxed!

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
It’s been about 4 years since I bought my first MVS cart and CMVS (thanks to Neo Geo forum’s BobbyPeru). Today, I’ve just acquired the last cart (Irritating Maze, thanks goes to shadowkn55) I needed to complete a full MVS collection. I went with shockboxes as I don’t care much for brown cardboard box kits sitting on the shelve (and neominiboxes were not around when I started). I’ve always loved the looks of the shockboxes (even if they do take a bit more space). Plus, I would say that nice looking boxes made it easier for the girlfriend to be ok with shelves full of them (especially since I gradually took out our dvds, audio cds and books from that shelve to make room for more MVS).

I didn’t set out from the start to go for a complete collection. I had the 120in1, thinking that would be good for now, and that maybe I would buy the ones I really liked. After buying 70-80 carts, I thought, well, I’m already halfway there, might as well see if I can get close to a full collection (but not really thinking it was feasible). I have games on most platforms, and never was I interested in going for a full collection. I’m not exactly sure why I did it with the MVS. I think, part of it must be that Neo games, as a teen, were unattainable (because of the price). In the late 90’s, I ended up getting a bunch of NGPC games instead, and playing emulated MVS games. In my mid 20’s (10 years ago), I got myself an AES, and after 5 years, I barely had any games (again, cause of the price). When I realized that a CMVS could let me play the best games on the Neo for a fraction of the cost, I was sold.

Notes on the picture. Obvious boots are: Ironclad, Ghostlop, Bang Bang Buster, CTHD 2003 and of course Metal Slug 6. The rest are genuine (or official homebrew). I guess you could say that I’m missing Diggerman, Super Bubble Pop Neo and V-liner, but I don’t intent on buying those. There’s an insert-less shockbox, that’s a place holder for Razion. The extra copies of Riding Hero, League Bowling and Thrash Rally are for link up play. The extra Shock Troopers is for the A and B version. I also color corrected the spine box (so that each insert has the proper color for genre and to have a red digits on the MEGS count).

I would like to thank everyone on the forum that sold me Neo Geo carts (and there’s a bunch of you). There’s no way I would’ve amassed this without your help. Most of them came from this forum, and for this I’m thankful.

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
$50 shipped?

The only have one full set for another system because there's a lot of games I won't play on most platforms. They do make a wall look damn great though. I didn't even think there were that many NG games. Wait, did you really put them in alphabetical order?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Awesome!

Do you find you play them much though?

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
Wait, did you really put them in alphabetical order?

Well, yeah. How else can I quickly find the best MVS game, Legend of Success Joe, without searching for it.:keke:

Awesome!

Do you find you play them much though?

It usually come and goes. I also play new games on the latest systems, and there's only so many hours in a day. But in the last 2 weeks, I did find more time to play. I picked up an extra 14'' PVM for cheap, and it's now sitting on my desk, at work. It's there along with a spare MV-1C and an Vogatek supergun MK V. I get about 2 hours of play time every day at work (before work and during lunch). Before it gets asked, no, it's not really out of place to have that on my desk in the work environment I'm in.

I'm currently playing games in order of release. There are games in the past that I gave some time to, but never actually finished. I'm trying to go through them (not 1CCing anything though. I'm not good enough :(). It made me noticed that there's barely no proper 1 on 1 fighting game that came out in the first 2 years of the Neo ('90-'91).

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
SNK didn't care about fighting games untill street fighter 2 became a hit. I reckon if sf2 never came out the neo wouldn't have lasted as long as it did, it was a great platform for fighters, the perfect storm really.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
you've got the whole library now, what's next?

going...

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
you've got the whole library now, what's next?

Nothing is next I guess. Well, I do want a trackball to go along with the newly acquired Irritating Maze. It’s playable with the stick, but probably not as fun as the trackball. I don’t intent on acquiring a full collection for any other platforms. I usually keep the games that I like or that I find original/quirky. Not sure why, but I still manage to enjoy bad Neo games in a way that I don’t enjoy bad games other platform.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
That is some good work. Nice collection mate!

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
congrats :buttrock:

The shocks look great but would love to see a pic of the actual carts :D

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
congrats :buttrock:

The shocks look great but would love to see a pic of the actual carts :D

I can't, all the shockboxes are empty :D. No, but seriously, I'm not taking out 160 something cart for a pic. When I had about half, I did take them out all at once to see what it would look like on the shelve. They looked naked and sad, so I promptly put them back in their case.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Great to see more people from Montreal who are into the Neo!

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Wow, nice collect em all collection.

Wish I had the room for all Shocks. I'm considering switching to Windy sleeves for the space saving.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Congrats on the MVS collection! You have achieved the dream. I'm halfway there but I'm not sure if I wanna go all the way.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
It bothers me that you organized these alphabetically from right to left, can you fix this please

Mega_man

n00b
Amazing collection! I'd hate to ask how much you have invested in these. I'm sure it's a lot but well worth it.