UniBIOS vs real BIOS region

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

I have a strange (for me anyway) case here, and hope somebody can help me understand it: I currently own 3 original KoF 99 MVS carts. Of these, one has a BK1 and FIO boards, the other two have the expected LBA/FIO boards. AFAIK, this is because one is unencrypted version, the other two are encrypted. I also have an Omega CMVS with UniBIOS 2.3 and an AES with original Euro BIOS. Now the issue: if I put the KoF 99 carts with LBA/FIO boards on the Omega, no matter the region I choose, the messages are displayed in Japanese, but if I put them in the AES through a Magic Key converter, they appear in English (the Magic Key BIOS is disabled). The other KoF 99 cart (the one with BK1/FIO boards) works fine and obeys the system region wether on the Omega or the AES. Now, is this normal? is ther a bug in UniBIOS 2.3 that causes this? Also, this is the only game that does this, all the others obey the region on both consoles.

Thanks for any help understanding this.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Its probably a bug in 2.3. I have the LBA/FIO board set and unibios 3.2 and I dont have that issue.

Sidenote: Why the fuck are so many people still on 2.3? Get that bitch upgraded, its like $5.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Sidenote: Why the fuck are so many people still on 2.3? Get that bitch upgraded, its like $5.

Same reason so many people still use Windows XP: it does what I need, why bother upgrading? :) however I'll update soon, not only for the fix of this bug and the neo-pc connectivity but to support the great work of Razoola.

Thanks!!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
There's a big difference to realize here though. In Windows, you can lose support for old programs by upgrading. When you upgrade your UniBIOS, you don't lose anything.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
There's a big difference to realize here though. In Windows, you can lose support for old programs by upgrading. When you upgrade your UniBIOS, you don't lose anything.

You are right, but my point is that when things "just work" you kinda forget that there are upgrades for them out there, that's what happens with the UniBIOS.

Regards.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

To keep things on-topic, I just tested with a real BIOS (SP-S2) which is an Euro BIOS (removed the UniBIOS chip on my Omega and put the original one instead) and tested. The carts work as expected, showing messages in English. This and the message before from Niko49 seem to confirm that this is indeed a bug in version 2.3 (and possibly others) of the UniBIOS.

Thanks!!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
OK, this is getting weirder. I got a UniBIOS 3.1 free version and replaced the old 2.3 with it. The bug still happens. However if I put the same UniBIOs and the same cart on my AES (through converter) it works fine and messages are displayed in English...I am really lost here, no clue where the probolem is, I am pretty sure is something simplle, but no clue where to look.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
OK, this is getting weirder. I got a UniBIOS 3.1 free version and replaced the old 2.3 with it. The bug still happens. However if I put the same UniBIOs and the same cart on my AES (through converter) it works fine and messages are displayed in English...I am really lost here, no clue where the probolem is, I am pretty sure is something simplle, but no clue where to look.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

You have checked the soft dips right? To make sure the language isnt set to Japanese in there? If that doesnt work try to clear the work ram.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
You have checked the soft dips right? To make sure the language isnt set to Japanese in there? If that doesnt work try to clear the work ram.

I did check the soft dips, and they were set to language English and Country USA. Also, I was using settings as Euro / Console in UniBIOS, do dip settings have effect then? anyway, I erased the backup RAM and now it works. No clue why it caused that problem but it seems it did.

Thanks!!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Backup RAM is notorious for saving glitchy data that messes up the game. It's usually the first thing to check.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Backup RAM is notorious for saving glitchy data that messes up the game. It's usually the first thing to check.

Good to know that, Neo Alec. I'll remember it from now on if I have any other problem with a game.

Thanks!

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Are all MVS boards compatible with a Unibios?

Yes, they are. However, it's easier to install the UniBIOS on some MVS board models than others. The hardest ones are the MV-1B and MV-1C because their BIOS is on a little SMD chip, so you have to solder 40 cables to their right position or buy a NeoBIOSMasta (look for it on these forums). Most other boards have the BIOS on a socket so you can replace it with the UniBIOS in about 30 seconds. The UniBIOS also works on a NeoGeo AES.

Regards.

Mega_man

n00b
Thank you for the helpful information. I'll be sure to look for one with the socketed bios.