PGM motherboard not holding saves.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
A bit of an annoying problem hopefully someone can help me fix.

I have a pgm mobo which has had the battery replaced with a flat cell cr2032 battery. Lately i have noticed that my highscores are no longer saving. First thing i did was replace the battery but that doesn't seem to fix it.

I have tried resetting the mobo and have done the ram check which came back fine but still no good. Oddly i have noticed my mobo doesnt have the toggle switch to clear the nvram but im not sure if that would help anyway.

???

theMot

10 Year Member
This is the battery. Could what looks like corrosion on the trace under the battery be an issue?

photo.JPG

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You need to put the diode back in. I think it's D2, I forgot to update the tutorial on the website about it. I think it was Michele and I thought the charging circuit was like the Neo so I removed D2 but for some reason the PGM circuit has it directed in a weird way to which D2 needs to be installed and the mod done differently.

I have to look into it again. From what I remember it only affects certain games.

theMot

10 Year Member
Sometimes it seems to hold the save for a few days then it drops it. Does that sound like the diode problem or if its that would it just not save at all?

theMot

10 Year Member
photo-2.JPG

That is a pic of the the whole mobo. As you can see the diode at D2 is still there. :/

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
You need to put the diode back in. I think it's D2, I forgot to update the tutorial on the website about it. I think it was Michele and I thought the charging circuit was like the Neo so I removed D2 but for some reason the PGM circuit has it directed in a weird way to which D2 needs to be installed and the mod done differently.

I have to look into it again. From what I remember it only affects certain games.

So is the only difference from your tutorial that D2 can stay in place for a successful cr2032 setup on PGM?

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Well, I saw another guide or two that left out removing the diode/resistor and simply soldered the cr2032 battery holder into place. I decided to do the same and picked up a battery holder from Radio Shack for $1.25. Fortunately it fits perfectly without any modification.

0Ica6HD.jpg

I tested it out by playing a few sessions of Demon Front, then left the system off for a while. I turned it back on and my high score saves were still there, wooot! I'll try it out on some other games and will report any issues I find (if any).

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Well, I saw another guide or two that left out removing the diode/resistor and simply soldered the cr2032 battery holder into place. I decided to do the same and picked up a battery holder from Radio Shack for $1.25. Fortunately it fits perfectly without any modification.

View attachment 21961

I tested it out by playing a few sessions of Demon Front, then left the system off for a while. I turned it back on and my high score saves were still there, wooot! I'll try it out on some other games and will report any issues I find (if any).

Wonder if there is a charging circuit.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Wonder if there is a charging circuit.

Me too, the info out there is pretty scarce for PGM.

Edit: If it does, a ML2032 (rechargeable) coin battery should be perfect.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Either way you need to remove the resistor as you don't want any power going to the non-rechargeable battery unless you want it to explode all over the board. If you can get a rechargeable one then even better, just leave the resistor in.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Either way you need to remove the resistor as you don't want any power going to the non-rechargeable battery unless you want it to explode all over the board. If you can get a rechargeable one then even better, just leave the resistor in.

Well, a ML2032 it is. Thanks for the confirmation.