PDA

View Full Version : PGM motherboard not holding saves.

theMot
07-12-2014, 11:45 PM
A bit of an annoying problem hopefully someone can help me fix.

I have a pgm mobo which has had the battery replaced with a flat cell cr2032 battery. Lately i have noticed that my highscores are no longer saving. First thing i did was replace the battery but that doesn't seem to fix it.

I have tried resetting the mobo and have done the ram check which came back fine but still no good. Oddly i have noticed my mobo doesnt have the toggle switch to clear the nvram but im not sure if that would help anyway.

???

theMot
07-12-2014, 11:53 PM
This is the battery. Could what looks like corrosion on the trace under the battery be an issue?

Xian Xi
07-13-2014, 12:34 AM
You need to put the diode back in. I think it's D2, I forgot to update the tutorial on the website about it. I think it was Michele and I thought the charging circuit was like the Neo so I removed D2 but for some reason the PGM circuit has it directed in a weird way to which D2 needs to be installed and the mod done differently.

I have to look into it again. From what I remember it only affects certain games.

theMot
07-13-2014, 01:50 AM
Sometimes it seems to hold the save for a few days then it drops it. Does that sound like the diode problem or if its that would it just not save at all?

theMot
07-13-2014, 03:38 AM

That is a pic of the the whole mobo. As you can see the diode at D2 is still there. :/

kuze
01-10-2015, 12:06 PM
You need to put the diode back in. I think it's D2, I forgot to update the tutorial on the website about it. I think it was Michele and I thought the charging circuit was like the Neo so I removed D2 but for some reason the PGM circuit has it directed in a weird way to which D2 needs to be installed and the mod done differently.

I have to look into it again. From what I remember it only affects certain games.

So is the only difference from your tutorial that D2 can stay in place for a successful cr2032 setup on PGM?

LegoSlug
01-10-2015, 12:28 PM
Shoulda saved the diode. I think I tossed it. :/

kuze
01-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Well, I saw another guide or two that left out removing the diode/resistor and simply soldered the cr2032 battery holder into place. I decided to do the same and picked up a battery holder from Radio Shack for $1.25. Fortunately it fits perfectly without any modification.

I tested it out by playing a few sessions of Demon Front, then left the system off for a while. I turned it back on and my high score saves were still there, wooot! I'll try it out on some other games and will report any issues I find (if any).

LegoSlug
01-11-2015, 04:06 PM
Well, I saw another guide or two that left out removing the diode/resistor and simply soldered the cr2032 battery holder into place. I decided to do the same and picked up a battery holder from Radio Shack for $1.25. Fortunately it fits perfectly without any modification.

I tested it out by playing a few sessions of Demon Front, then left the system off for a while. I turned it back on and my high score saves were still there, wooot! I'll try it out on some other games and will report any issues I find (if any).

Wonder if there is a charging circuit.

kuze
01-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Wonder if there is a charging circuit.

Me too, the info out there is pretty scarce for PGM.

Edit: If it does, a ML2032 (rechargeable) coin battery should be perfect.

Xian Xi
01-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Either way you need to remove the resistor as you don't want any power going to the non-rechargeable battery unless you want it to explode all over the board. If you can get a rechargeable one then even better, just leave the resistor in.

kuze
01-11-2015, 08:48 PM
Either way you need to remove the resistor as you don't want any power going to the non-rechargeable battery unless you want it to explode all over the board. If you can get a rechargeable one then even better, just leave the resistor in.

Well, a ML2032 it is. Thanks for the confirmation.

DeusVult
01-12-2015, 01:59 AM
so if I plan to use a rechargeable I dont have to remove any existing circuitry, can you use any other battery like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-3-6V-LiR2032-Rechargeable-Coin-Button-Cell-Battery-Li-ion-replace-CR2032-UK-/400832709177?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_S M&hash=item5d537dc239

lir2032 but says it 3.6v where a ML2032 says its 3v