My Hakko 808 took a shit

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm kinda pissed, bought it in January of this year. I keep up with the cleaning and maintenance so I'm surprised its having problems.

Right now it seems like the motor is dying. Valves and pumps are clean, diaphragms are still holding vacuum.

It does the opposite now, when you plug the vacuum, instead of the rpms rising they drop all the way down to a stop.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup, I'm seeing about the warranty. After they fix it/replace it, I might sell it at a discounted rate and get the new model since the 808 has been discontinued.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Honestly, just buy a used Pace Desoldering setup. That's what I did and it was less than a new Hakko. It also works so much better.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Honestly, just buy a used Pace Desoldering setup. That's what I did and it was less than a new Hakko. It also works so much better.

Before I had the Hakko I had my trusty Xytronic LF7000, that was still working great. I got the 808 because it was highly recommended. Maybe it can't keep up with the volume I do or something.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That would be my guess. It's a great tool, but I don't think it's considered pro grade equipment. As expensive as it is, it's actually one of Hakko's cheaper products.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
For the amount of work you do. A station is best. The 808 is great for a hobbyist or my main use out in the field.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Could be a bad motor. However if you don't replace the filter on the back often and you're doing a high volume of work with it, you could cause flux vapors and other nasty shit to get into the pump, destroying it.

Sounds like it was just defective though.

I do own a FR-300 myself, and if you're afraid that it was the volume that caused the 808 to die, don't bother with the FR-300 as it's mostly the same design, slightly improved. The filtering system is the same, the heat up time decreased, and has slightly more suction power. You might want to do as others have suggested and get a more professional grade desoldering station.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I keep this thing clean as a whistle. I think my initial complaint was the frequency of changing the filter compared to my station. If I desolder an MVS cart, I can only do 2 carts before I need a filter change. With my station it was after 20+ carts since the filter was longer plus the design of the 808 tends to get a lot of things on the filter itself causing air flow problems.

That sucks, especially since when I had my station I got it at a really good price since Jameco messed up and didn't have a different shipping rate for Hawaii so ground only cost me $8 or something when I got it and the package weighed like 30+lbs. Now they fixed it so shipping alone is $90. I should have held on to my station instead of selling it after I got the 808.

I'm talking with the seller now, it could just be a bad switch, thermal protection or the motor itself. I'll post back with what happens.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Well, it isn't the thermal protection since I just plugged it in and it was cold and still was the same. Looking like it's either the switch or motor. I'm starting to think it's a dirty switch from maybe some carbon buildup from pressing it so many times.

monads

Mr. Big's Thug
10 Year Member
I might sell it at a discounted rate and get the new model since the 808 has been discontinued.

What's odd is when I visited the Hakko Website, the 808 is not listed a 'discontinued'. And I couldn't get info on it's successor, the FR-300. I found this info from another 'seller' website?? I wonder how the FR-300 is, I have the 808 but don't use often as Xian Xi ;)

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I contacted a local motion industries who is part of a bigger umbrella company that also owns an electronics tool supplier and inquired about the 808 about a month ago. The 808 has been discontinued as per the hako rep. The rep also told me the replacement is something like $380. After seeing this thread that price isn't sounding bad. At the same time for the same price you can get some half decent rework stations with a de soldering pump, soldering iron, hot air, power supply, ect. Ah the choices! I still love my radio shack 15/30w pencil with a cone tip. Horrible iron I cut me teeth on and burned the crap out of all ten digits. So what's the verdict xian?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Claimed warranty and they sent me a fully new one made in 2014, awesome.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Glad to hear you got it worked out!

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Claimed warranty and they sent me a fully new one made in 2014, awesome.

icon14.gif

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Gad dammit, I guess they don't make them like they used to. The replacement I got in July just had the heating element go out. UGH>>>>><<<>"">:K<}POJ[oiuhsrguaherhnqr

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
God that sucks!!! I hate modern equipment and even modern gaming systems - everything these days (TVs included) seem to last no time at all. Too many cheap caps, too much emphasis on parts designed to last thousands of hours vs hundreds of thousands of hours, and BGA soldering. Wondering how long it will be before the PS4 and XB1 start getting RROD equivalent failures. It's funny, you go back to stuff made 30 years ago and it still works! I've been using my Weller DS801 since around 1992, and it's still on the original element and still on the original pump - just filter changes!!!

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Gad dammit, I guess they don't make them like they used to. The replacement I got in July just had the heating element go out. UGH>>>>><<<>"">:K<}POJ[oiuhsrguaherhnqr

Sorry to hear James. I guess its just dumb luck and/or as you said, my old 808 is still kicking strong. Now I fear if it breaks, I'll be going thru the same experience you are.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
Honestly, just buy a used Pace setup and you'll be good!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The 808 is extremely good with the suction, most of the problems have been on the electrical side. I'll be looking onto a replacement since the 808 is discontinued.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I got the Fr-300 when it was released. Very pleased with it, same shit as the 808 really but lighter on your hands and heats up faster.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Update: They said fuck you, your warranty is over.

Hero of the Day: GohanX, he never fixed his after the motor died but his heating element is still good. Thanks a bunch dude. I really appreciate it.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Just curious- how do you know when you need to change the filter? The manual says when it gets stained I'm just curious how much so.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Update: They said fuck you, your warranty is over.

Hero of the Day: GohanX, he never fixed his after the motor died but his heating element is still good. Thanks a bunch dude. I really appreciate it.

Where is the 808 physically manufactured?

I salvaged a Hakko 474 with a bad heating element from work, cost me $100 to fix it which I did because hakko tips last longer than my Chinese desoldering station tips which I have to change out after less than 100 joints.

Just curious- how do you know when you need to change the filter? The manual says when it gets stained I'm just curious how much so.

Basically when the filter is on the verge of crumbling, what it does is keep solder out of the pump and you don't want solder in the pump.

Last edited: