Burning Fight MVS sound issue

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I just picked up an MVS Burning Fight. It plays fine but the background music occasionally distorts. The volume increases dramatically for a second then goes back to normal. A thorough cleaning did not fix the issue. Not a huge deal but I've not had this happen with any other game.

PS. I kind of like the game :keke:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I just picked up an MVS Burning Fight. It plays fine but the background music occasionally distorts. The volume increases dramatically for a second then goes back to normal. A thorough cleaning did not fix the issue. Not a huge deal but I've not had this happen with any other game.

Did you check for burnt/broken traces or cold solder points? You may need a new EPROM.

EDIT: That board has a small cap connected to M1. If its bad, that would be your problem.

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
In the first level, down an alley a homeless guy will give you head. This is know as the "Hobo Blojo", and will fix the sound issue provided you brick in his mouth at the same time you strike him with a empty bottle.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Did you check for burnt/broken traces or cold solder points? You may need a new EPROM.

EDIT: That board has a small cap connected to M1. If its bad, that would be your problem.

Thanks dude, I'll check it out.

In the first level, down an alley a homeless guy will give you head. This is know as the "Hobo Blojo", and will fix the sound issue provided you brick in his mouth at the same time you strike him with a empty bottle.

:lolz: That's great! Thanks for the tip ;)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Replaced the cap Niko mentioned but no change. It plays fine 95% of the time with occasional bursts of distorted sound:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Replaced the cap Niko mentioned but no change. It plays fine 95% of the time with occasional bursts of distorted sound:

Are the distortions always the same? like in the same songs and the same parts of the songs? maybe a rom is bad and that causes the problem, especially if this is the only game that causes problems.

Regards.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Are the distortions always the same? like in the same songs and the same parts of the songs? maybe a rom is bad and that causes the problem, especially if this is the only game that causes problems.

Regards.

Actually, the distortions change. I replayed the section in the video and it only happened once instead of twice. Same thing while playing the game.

Pause and listen to BGM = less distortion

Play the game = more distortion with sound effects added to the mix

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Actually, the distortions change. I replayed the section in the video and it only happened once instead of twice. Same thing while playing the game.

Pause and listen to BGM = less distortion

Play the game = more distortion with sound effects added to the mix

Hmmm...that seems to rule out a problem with the roms themselves, maybe the M1 chip is going bad. AFAIK, the only components inside a cart that have anything to do with sound are the M1 chip, the V roms and the traces/solder points, etc (especially on an early game like this) so the problem *should* be easy to fix by replacing some of these parts. Can you somehow test the M1 chip? easiest way is to read it and compare it with a known good dump.

Regards.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
My guess is its likely a dry joint, damaged trace or glitching VROM.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
In my experience, the older games are more prone to glitches like this. It would be nice to have a general idea of board reliability, especially when multiple revisions exist.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
In my experience, the older games are more prone to glitches like this. It would be nice to have a general idea of board reliability, especially when multiple revisions exist.

If the joints are good and the traces are good, next step is to verify the roms, if they verify then verify the M1. If that is good, too then it might be the PCM.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member

Sucks on the sound issues. Is this the only game that does it? I ask, because I picked up a four-slot off the boards earlier this year and it was having similar problems. Music, and samples, would start distorting randomly, and it would normally be on the more ambient stages you'd really hear it. To tell you the truth, it would do it in all games, but only be really noticeable in a few, like SS4 and Magical Drop 2. If it did it, you could power-cycle and it would go away for a little while, but it would always come back.

That wasn't a cart issue; the four-slot was acting up. The seller was a local guy here, and a tech-guru in his own right. He swapped it with other four-slots, and each one had a different problem. At the end of the day, he recapped my power and sound caps on the board and it's freaking awesome now. Now issues whatsoever.

I'm not saying it's your board, and it probably is something with the cart, but if you rule everything else out, you may want to recap the sound on that MVS board as well. Hell, after having new sound and power caps, I think that should be done anyway to most boards to make them happy and healthy for many years to come. Some of these boards are nearing the 25 year mark.

Oh, and PS... I kind of like Burning Fight too :p

Last edited: