Analog Converter Repair/Replacement

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
My Neo Geo AES has a problem reading games and I sent it to a local repair shop who has been in the business of repairing consoles for over 30 years. He says that the problem is that the RGB digital analog converter is not working right and needs to be fixed.
My question is: is is possible to repair/replace an AES's RGB digital analog converter?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Gonna need a little more info there, chief.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
I don't know the exact details. I just want to know if it can be repaired or replaced.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That repair guy is full of shit. Send me a PM.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Analog converter? Sounds like the guy is trying to fix a VCR. That guy is making stuff up.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
So what your saying is there's no such thing as an analog converter in an AES?

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
Yeah that might be what he meant. To be honest, this information was given to me by my father after he talked to the repair guy so I think some things were lost in the translation.
EDIT: In fact, that's exactly what he said. I asked my father about it and it rang a bell with him.
So allow me to rephrase my question: can you repair/replace an AES's RGB digital to analog converter?

Last edited:

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
My Neo Geo AES has a problem reading games and I sent it to a local repair shop who has been in the business of repairing consoles for over 30 years. He says that the problem is that the analog converter is not working right and needs to be fixed.
My question is: is is possible to repair/replace an AES's analog converter?

just curious, who is the local repair shop?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Did he seriously say the entire video DAC went out? I bet you it's something far simpler.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
He tried the AES on all of his tv's and it's not working. He doesn't know exactly what's wrong yet, but that's his first guess.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Did he even verify the system had power?

Edit: did anyone look at that jokers webpage? Under returns all it says is "no returns"

Last edited:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Sorry I know it's a stupid question but you would be amazed how many time I find bad power supplies to be the problem. When you said he got no output on all the tv's he tried first thing that popped into my head

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
No, it's getting output, it's just a scrambled image with absolutely no gameplay video.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

Wich PSU use you? Sometimes your problem (scambled screen) is related to the voltage or to the bios not to the video converter. A picture of your screen would be better.

Un saludo

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
No, it's getting output, it's just a scrambled image with absolutely no gameplay video.

That right there means the Video DAC isn't the problem. Like mentioned, it's most likely the wrong power supply. Take a pic of your board and we'll tell you what power supply to use.

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
I remember that the power supply that I got with the console was a PRO-POW and it didn't work with that. So the ebay seller sent me another power supply that was supposed to be an equivalent to a PRO-POW 2 with the right voltage. It was a European power supply and came with a converter. That didn't work either.