No sound from King of the Monsters

kruuth

n00b
Just bought an MVS copy of King of the monsters. Plugged it in and got glitches. Plugged in again and got no sound. My other carts work. Should I just clean it and see if that fixes things?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Just bought an MVS copy of King of the monsters. Plugged it in and got glitches. Plugged in again and got no sound. My other carts work. Should I just clean it and see if that fixes things?

Yes clean it and if you have a unibios installed then do a crc check.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
It's just dirty. Most MVS carts are dirty as sin. Clean them and use a de-oxidizing solution on them to recondition the connector pins. The game will work good as new.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
No sound at all means the M1 ROM on the CHA board isn't making a full connection.

Rugdoctor

New Challenger
samething happened to my shock troopers a couple of days ago, a quick clean and reinsertion and everything is dandy.

DPsx7

Banned
Can chips go bad? I mean if there isn't any physical abuse to the cart. Sometimes I see games listed as non-working (for cheap) and I question whether it's worth getting them in the hopes they just need to be cleaned or at worst, resolder a few pins. I've repaired some of my own things including a pinball display. Had to send out my VB LED's since my iron wasn't fine enough for that kind of work.

Basically when do you know it's a lost cause?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Yes, chips can short out. Solder joints can become cold too, causing poor connections between the ROM chip and the board. If contact cleaning and reflowing doesn't fix a particular chip, it's probably bad.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Open the cart and use an eraser to clean the connectors then put it back together and use a contact cleaner like Deoxit-D5 on the connectors then insert and remove the cart in the system 3 times then power it on. This helps clean both the cart and system at the same time.

DeusVult

Another Striker
i sometimes get similar issues on some games, sounds like i should maybe clean them,

i recently got a crosseds swords cart and when i put the cart in it doesnt work but if i lift it out slighty it works, i was starting to wonder if its my 2 slot board as it seems to happen or one slot more than the other or the carts just need a good clean