famicom fun

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
So I have two red and white famicoms in my possession I would like to start using. I plan on doing the old retrobright treatment to them this weekend and after that I wanted to start modding them. My hopes are to be able to remove the second board inside of them and do an A/V and 5v mod. I would like to do the A/V mod so I can play them on my PVM and the 5v mod to simplify my power adapter situation. While I have found various thread about doing the A/V mod I was wondering what you guys though was the best way to go about it. I did find this thread here and it looked promising.

As for the 5V mod, my google-fu is weak today!

thoughts?

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
What 5V mod are you referring to? Famis will take a Genesis Model 1 PSU no fuss, as well as some other stuff within spec. No mods, no transformers, no nothin.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I'm wanting to remove the board that makes up the power and rf board. I want to make the system run on 5v only and use the space the board occupied to house the componutes for the av mod. Would like to do as little external case modding as possible

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Hey skips, get in here!

There is a Chinese company that makes an awesome AV board that fits perfectly where the RF board goes and requires only a minimum of exterior work for the AV plugs. I can't find the URL for it though. It looks 100x better than my AV mod.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
Hey skips, get in here!

There is a Chinese company that makes an awesome AV board that fits perfectly where the RF board goes and requires only a minimum of exterior work for the AV plugs. I can't find the URL for it though. It looks 100x better than my AV mod.

Pfft don't tell me what to do, fooking slashchat goons I swear.

If you want a super nice AV mod I recommend this

http://homepage3.nifty.com/F-LABO/ProductsList.html

There is an AV kit on the page that replaces the whole RF box. It is quite nice and you still use the official power supply. Does not cost a ton either. He has an English order form found here - http://homepage3.nifty.com/F-LABO/OrderForm_en.html

For the best quality AV mod though you will want to desolder the PPU and CPU and shield them in copper foil (grounding the foil with a wire). You will also want to put a .1uf capacitor between power and ground on both the PPU and CPU. Doing both these things will pretty much make jailbars invisible on the Famicom.

I recommend just going with a kit like the one above instead of going a straight 5v. It does not cost much and looks great.

Last edited:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet

There is an AV kit on the page that replaces the whole RF box. It is quite nice and you still use the official power supply. Does not cost a ton either. He has an English order form found here - http://homepage3.nifty.com/F-LABO/OrderForm_en.html

For the best quality AV mod though you will want to desolder the PPU and CPU and shield them in copper foil (grounding the foil with a wire). You will also want to put a .1uf capacitor between power and ground on both the PPU and CPU. Doing both these things will pretty much make jailbars invisible on the Famicom.

I recommend just going with a kit like the one above instead of going a straight 5v. It does not cost much and looks great.

Sounds like I need to pick up the new iteration of the 808 if I'm gonna be removing CPU and ppu. Might have to lock them in the NW retro vault so christoph doesn't steal them for his abomination

MaxWar

n00b
I personally used the Schematic on Console5 and shielded the PPU with the Copper foil trick. I also threw some caps around on the power rail. This got me minimal jailbars. I never got rid of the jailbars completely but they are very faint, need to strain to see them.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
max, are you playing on a SD tv? I have heard jail bars on those are less noticeable then on a PVM

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet

How much would you charge skips?

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I'm asking you to do it for me. If you arnt doing paid services maybe we can work out a dirty hippy trade.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I'm asking you to do it for me. If you arnt doing paid services maybe we can work out a dirty hippy trade.

Sorry dude but I am not taking any new projects until august or so. I will only be finishing up personal ones (which I don't think I have any) and the 2-3 people I already promised work to.

MaxWar

n00b
max, are you playing on a SD tv? I have heard jail bars on those are less noticeable then on a PVM

Yes, using a Sony Trinitron SD CRT. Never tried on a PVM of HD panel.

This being said, I got an AV famicom and RGB modded it soon after I modded the famicom so I did not play it for long and did not try it in many conditions. The JB could be seen mostly on plain light color background.