Neo Geo CD fix

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
OK I picked up a cheap Neo Geo CD today, cosmetically it looks really nice.

Popped open the lid and I was greeted with this

Someone has removed the motor spindle for the CD. I also don't have a power supply (I thought it would be something I had already I could use).

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The power supply uses a odd shaped plug, so I've never seen any other power supply, universal or otherwise, with this same shape. Perhaps there is one out there, but I've never paid eyes on it

Can you report the photo links. You can't click on the images to make them larger and see whats up

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Hack in a standard barrel plug and use a common power supply. As for the spindle, if the shaft is still there find a old Walkman and good will and swap it over or buy a wole new assembly

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Barrel as in Megadrive 1 power supply. I don't wanna fry the system, is there a guide on this?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
From the pic it looks like the spindel is stuck to the magnetic disc support on the lid. I know there was a seller on ebay in Japan that was selling replacement PSUs for $30 something.

EDIT pic

lee1HMs.jpg

EDIT 2 Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-CD-...267?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54065c513b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNK-Neo-Geo...005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ce19cfe05

Last edited:

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Oh what an idiot, so it is lol, it was stuck to the lid. Lol

When I put it back on the spindle it does seem loose (slides up and down the pin very easy). Is the pin mention to grip the spindle

Also thanks everyone that has contributed to my thread.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
The spindle is supposed to be VERY tight on the pin, so you may need to put something inside to keep it tight. Hot glue or something. Just be sure that the spindle is sitting slightly above the plastic cover. Since you'll probably have to rig it with glue, you may have one shot to getting it in the right spot.

ssrcwKN.png

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'd go with loctite...there isnt a damn thing that won't hold in my experience

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
The spindle is supposed to be VERY tight on the pin, so you may need to put something inside to keep it tight. Hot glue or something. Just be sure that the spindle is sitting slightly above the plastic cover. Since you'll probably have to rig it with glue, you may have one shot to getting it in the right spot.

ssrcwKN.png

Thanks for you help NTM, super glued it top & bottom, looks pretty similar to yours.

Just need a power supply now to test lol

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Hmmm, that PSU is 5v and 12v not the regular 5v 10v. If anything, you can buy one of those cheap and cut the cord to make your own custom cable with the proper voltages.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I wouldn't risk throwing 12v into a 10v line. It may work fine for a while, but the CD drive is powered by that 10v. I would get the UK CD power supply I posted from ebay earlier. He takes offers too.