Neo Geo AES card slot problem

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

I recently got a NeoSavemasta (the latest blue ones) and I'm using it on an AES 3-5 with UniBIOS 2.3. However, sometimes (like 50% of the times) I get this when turning it on:

Sometimes, this is solved by resetting the AES, other times I have to power it off and on again, and other times it won't power on until I take out the NeoSaveMasta. I have tried moving the swotch on the NeoSaveMasta, same results on both positions. Is this normal? or is there anything I should do for this to work properly?

Thanks!!

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
No this is not normal.

Its possible it was damaged during shipping, but have you ever used a memory card in your system before? It's also possible that your slot may have bent pins. Do you have another Neo system to test the memory card on? If not, you can send it back and I'll take a look at it.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
No this is not normal.

Its possible it was damaged during shipping, but have you ever used a memory card in your system before? It's also possible that your slot may have bent pins. Do you have another Neo system to test the memory card on? If not, you can send it back and I'll take a look at it.

Hi NeoTurfMasta

No, I have never tested another memcard on this AES, I was thinking that, maybe the AES slot is bad :crying:

If I take pictures of the AES board, can you help me diagnose if the problem is the card or the AES? I would like to avoid returning the card because shipping from Colombia to the US is so expensive, I'd better buy another NeoSaveMasta :(

Thanks for the help, I'll take a look at the AES slot, to see if it's something obvious.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Are you using a multicart exclusively? I saw on your photobucket account that you have a multi cart and MVS converter. LMK if you get the error on original SNK carts.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Are you using a multicart exclusively? I saw on your photobucket account that you have a multi cart and MVS converter. LMK if you get the error on original SNK carts.
Hi

At first I tought so, but it happens also with original MVS cartridges (through the converter) and with original AES cartridges (Garou Densetsou Special and KOF 94).

Thanks!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
OK, then check the pins on the memory card slot on your system. If those aren't bent, then its either the memory card or something else on your system. Unfortunately photos wont help. What is confusing to me is that it doesn't happen 100% of the time. I have had a couple of truly broken cards come back to me over the years and all other problems have been the card reader or something else on the system.

I know you're far away from me, but if your pins aren't bent and you don't have another system to test it out on it may have been damaged in shipping. We can work on sending it back for me to look at and replace.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I also know an incorrect bios install can cause memory card issues while no other issues will be seen when no memory card is present. Just putting it out there if the fault is not with the card or actual memory card socket.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
OK, then check the pins on the memory card slot on your system. If those aren't bent, then its either the memory card or something else on your system. Unfortunately photos wont help. What is confusing to me is that it doesn't happen 100% of the time. I have had a couple of truly broken cards come back to me over the years and all other problems have been the card reader or something else on the system.

I know you're far away from me, but if your pins aren't bent and you don't have another system to test it out on it may have been damaged in shipping. We can work on sending it back for me to look at and replace.
I checked the slot, and did not see any bent pins, in fact the card goes in very smoothly, however I noticed that the cover of the card port on the AES was bending the card. It's like the spring is very strong and it bends the card a bit, it also makes difficult taking the card out of the AES. I did a quick test without the port cover and could not reproduce the problem, I hope that's the issue...fingers crossed!! :)

I also know an incorrect bios install can cause memory card issues while no other issues will be seen when no memory card is present. Just putting it out there if the fault is not with the card or actual memory card socket.
Hi Razoola

Thanks for your help. The installation on my AES was not done by me, it was there when I bought it. They simply replaced the stock BIOS with a socket and then put the UniBIOS there. I will try replacing the UniBIOS with a stock BIOS I have and see if the issue happens there too.

I'll report back when I have more conclusive results.

Another quick question: Which is the fastest way to test the card is saving properly? maybe finishing first level of magician lord, then turning off/on again and trying to load? any better test on mind?

Thanks!!

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I checked the slot, and did not see any bent pins, in fact the card goes in very smoothly, however I noticed that the cover of the card port on the AES was bending the card. It's like the spring is very strong and it bends the card a bit, it also makes difficult taking the card out of the AES. I did a quick test without the port cover and could not reproduce the problem, I hope that's the issue...fingers crossed!! :)

Wow, you may need to take out the MB and resolder all the pins on the memory card slot pins on the bottom of the motherboard. There could be a cold solder joint under the board and the bending may be putting pressure on those pins.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Another quick question: Which is the fastest way to test the card is saving properly? maybe finishing first level of magician lord, then turning off/on again and trying to load? any better test on mind?

Hold ABCD when you boot the system and go to memory card manager. It will show you the files on the memory card. One of the banks (flip the switch) will have every save available for neo.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi

I just wanted to give this thread closure. The problem seems to be fixed, I reflowed the solder in all of the AES card slot pins and now the error never appears. I also tested and the card saves perfectly (fastest way to test seems to be with Metal Slug games).

Regards.