PDA

View Full Version : Piforce Tools Support Thread

TravistyOJ
04-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Buyers are getting their hands on their Raspberry Pi Netboot kits, and the questions are starting to roll in. Rather than keep using the sale thread, I thought I would create a dedicated support thread. If you have general questions that other users might be able to help with, feel free to post here. It helps me out a ton to offload some of the support to other kind volunteers.

Very basic instructions are found here: http://capane.us/piforcetools

TravistyOJ
04-24-2014, 10:47 AM
[Reserved for future use]

300wins
04-24-2014, 04:27 PM
So after the initial game loads, when I try to switch to another game, it just hangs at "sending..."
Nothing happens after that. Anything I can try?

TravistyOJ
04-24-2014, 04:32 PM
I noticed this with some games, and it also happened for me when I used triforce tools by typing in the command. Is it for all games, or just some? Also, what BIOS are you using?

300wins
04-24-2014, 04:38 PM
I noticed this with some games, and it also happened for me when I used triforce tools by typing in the command. Is it for all games, or just some?

I've only managed to test it so far with 3 games (Fist of the North Star, Dynamite Deka EX and Dolphin Blue) and they all hang. So my guess is that it is with all games?

Even if I unplug the Raspberry Pi and plug in the power again, it won't switch. Only way to switch games is to turn off my cab.

TravistyOJ
04-24-2014, 04:45 PM
If it wont even send after resetting the Pi, it sounds like the Naomi was left in a weird state, like its connecting, but not receiving data. I can work on this, but I think this issue existed with the triforce tools script too. I wonder if conversions are more problematic with it.

TravistyOJ
04-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Can you attempt to reproduce this issue with MVC2? I never had this issue with that game, and Id like to know if the problem is game specific.

300wins
04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Can you attempt to reproduce this issue with MVC2? I never had this issue with that game, and Id like to know if the problem is game specific.

Okay, I will try later tonight with MvC2 and let you know.

FYI - I am using a Naomi 2 motherboard and a 512 meg net dimm with 4.02 firmware.

leonk
04-25-2014, 03:33 AM
I've only managed to test it so far with 3 games (Fist of the North Star, Dynamite Deka EX and Dolphin Blue) and they all hang. So my guess is that it is with all games?

Even if I unplug the Raspberry Pi and plug in the power again, it won't switch. Only way to switch games is to turn off my cab.

It might be a limitation .. all those games are Atomiswave games if I'm not mistaken. The netboot scripts out there send a Naomi reset command via net dimm before loading the game. It sounds like either the reset command is not sent/received, or naomi ignoring it when it plays atomiswave games.

300wins
04-25-2014, 11:12 AM
It might be a limitation .. all those games are Atomiswave games if I'm not mistaken. The netboot scripts out there send a Naomi reset command via net dimm before loading the game. It sounds like either the reset command is not sent/received, or naomi ignoring it when it plays atomiswave games.

Dynamite Deka EX isn't an Atomiswave game.
I haven't had a chance to test out MvC2 yet.

sparksterz
04-25-2014, 11:18 AM
MvC2 worked for me as well. I only encountered the issue on a few games, the only one I remember though was Melty Blood: Act Cadenza. For me, triggering service mode and exiting allowed the net dimm to pick up on what was being sent again.

aoiddr
04-25-2014, 11:40 PM
For the Atomiswave games to play, does the Naomi have to have a Supercapacitor installed on the motherboard (I've removed mine)? I read that not having one isn't a problem with normal Naomi games, but wasn't sure about any others.

leonk
04-26-2014, 08:23 AM
For the Atomiswave games to play, does the Naomi have to have a Supercapacitor installed on the motherboard (I've removed mine)? I read that not having one isn't a problem with normal Naomi games, but wasn't sure about any others.

I have mine removed, and the converted games play fine on my Naomi 2 via CF adapter.

aoiddr
04-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Finally got my Net Dimm to update and have been playing around loading a few games. Works great from what I've seen so far. ^_^

Not really loader questions, but more Naomi game ones in general...

- Is there a way to actually make a game Typing of the Dead or Lupin III The Typing playable? Like, can you wire a dreamcast keyboard to the CN6 port?

- What about Monkey Ball, any way to get that to work without a banana joystick?

(Fyi, I've got a Capcom I/O in a Sega Astro City.)

d7onr8
04-28-2014, 11:31 PM

I thought the removal of the supercap was causing Atomiswave games to not load on both my Naomi 1 and 2 but then realized that the Atomiswave games weren't loading because I wasn't using the Capcom I/O. Using the Sega I/O would cause FOTNS and Dolphon Blue to load straight to the Game Service Menu but would never boot to the actual game.

d7onr8
04-28-2014, 11:35 PM
So after the initial game loads, when I try to switch to another game, it just hangs at "sending..."
Nothing happens after that. Anything I can try?

This would also happened to me if I tried to send a game while one was already loaded. I found that I would have to reboot the Naomi and then hit the Service button. If I send the game at the Service Menu, it would then load.

kaicer
04-28-2014, 11:43 PM
I have the Sega I/O ver.2 and I never got problem with the atomiswave maybe is the ver.1.

d7onr8
04-28-2014, 11:58 PM
I should have clarified; my setup wouldn't load Atomiswave games if I used the the Sega JVS to Jamma Converter [838-13683-02]. Mine was Rev A if that makes any difference. Capcom I/O loads them fine.

aoiddr
04-29-2014, 12:39 AM
It's weird how the Naomi can play some games fine with one i/o and not with another.

I had the opposite problem tonight. I tried to play "Puyo Puyo Fever" earlier and found that it has messed up/transposed controls when using a Capcom I/O. Found a post from last year that mentions the issue, but no solution (other than using a Sega i/o instead):
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?239893-Weird-problem-with-CAPCOM-IO-and-Puyo-Puyo-fever-GDROM!

Tyranix95
04-29-2014, 01:31 AM
From what I understand, some sega I/Os map the extra buttons different.

And some games expect certain extra button map (layout).

aoiddr
04-29-2014, 08:17 AM
Would that explain why the joystick mapping is turned 90 degrees though (making left/right into up/down)?

300wins
04-30-2014, 11:35 AM
After doing some more test, it everything does seem to work properly. The Atomiswave games don't seem to reset the netdimm, but most of the other games seem to reset it just fine. Maybe there might be some way around this. But I guess beggars can't be choosers.

kuze
05-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Not exactly related to Piforce Tools, but I in another thread someone else with a Piforce Tools setup had the same error 33 issue as me.

I had been having the same 'Error 33: Gateway not found' issue with my 512mb netdimm and a netboot zero key PIC. The PIC had been tested in a friend's 256mb netdimm and confirmed working, but the only way I could bypass error 33 is with the naomi_boot ping loop.

I just found out that using a legit WCCF netboot key allows me to bypass the error, even though it is not a zero key.

FreedomGundam
05-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Not exactly related to Piforce Tools, but I in another thread someone else with a Piforce Tools setup had the same error 33 issue as me.

I had been having the same 'Error 33: Gateway not found' issue with my 512mb netdimm and a netboot zero key PIC. The PIC had been tested in a friend's 256mb netdimm and confirmed working, but the only way I could bypass error 33 is with the naomi_boot ping loop.

I just found out that using a legit WCCF netboot key allows me to bypass the error, even though it is not a zero key.
That was probably me. :)
What version is your NetDIMM firmware? Mine was 3.17, and I was recommended to upgrade to 4.01 or 4.02. I still haven't done that yet, because I still haven't gotten my PIC back, but that should be any day now.

kuze
05-01-2014, 03:41 PM
That was probably me. :)
What version is your NetDIMM firmware? Mine was 3.17, and I was recommended to upgrade to 4.01 or 4.02. I still haven't done that yet, because I still haven't gotten my PIC back, but that should be any day now.

Mine was on 3.17 and after I had issues I updated to 4.01 with Naomi_boot. That didn't help though, only thing that did was using the plastic official netboot key that came with my netdimm. No idea why it doesn't like the zero keys.

Someone with the time and skill could probably patch the netdimm bios to not require a key at all. But since the zero keys work for most, I doubt anyone has the motivation.

FreedomGundam
05-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Mine was on 3.17 and after I had issues I updated to 4.01 with Naomi_boot. That didn't help though, only thing that did was using the plastic official netboot key that came with my netdimm. No idea why it doesn't like the zero keys.
Good stuff, as long as you found a workaround that gets the setup working for you. :)

I'm gonna try updating all the way to 4.02; I figure there can't be any harm in that at this point. Then I'll see how it goes when I get my PIC back.

aoiddr
05-01-2014, 06:55 PM
I got that error at one point. I believe I fixed it by changing my Naomi's IP address to 192.168.1.2 so it would sync with the Piforce Tools. (It's also worth a try to take the Net Dimm off and plug it back in to make sure it's seated correctly.) But yes, you need to be at 4.02.

FreedomGundam
05-07-2014, 11:55 PM
So I updated my NetDIMM to 4.02
I also got my zero-key PIC back so I plugged that back in.

I'm STILL getting the "ERROR 33: Gateway cannot be found" error.
So the same thing happens like before:
- Piforce tools reboots the Naomi and sends game
- Naomi reboots, checks the game
- The game boots, but restarts after about 30 seconds with the error

As before, Ikaruga and Tetris Kiwamemichi load just fine.

Though I keep wondering: the Piforcetools instructions include the tidbit that says

The netdimm will need to be configured in static mode with an IP address of 192.168.1.2, netmask of 255.255.255.0, and gateway of 192.168.1.1.
Where do you set the Gateway on the NetDIMM? There doesn't seem to be an option for it; only IP and Subnet. When I go to "Network test" in the menus, Gateway is returned as "N/A". Does that change anything?

I'm beginning to wonder if my NetDIMM is retarded to begin with (ie, it can't reach the PIC regardless).
I'd like to avoid it, but maybe I should just get myself another NetDIMM (dammit, just missed the recent group-buy here), and retire this one to PC-netbooting-only or convert it to use CF cards on my second Naomi board...

kotmfu
05-12-2014, 12:22 AM
People with error 33:

I know how to fix this for you, but chances are you may not be able to fix this on your own.

A null pic can be set up two ways, one for net booting, one for non net booting. You can probably see where im going with this.

Error 33 is when you dont have a netbooting nullpic. very easy to fix, if you have the source code and a pic programmer, not so much if you dont.

If anyone is in australia and needs this done i can do it for you, but probably a bit cost prohibitive to do so out side of aus.

SOURCE: i build these units and sell them myself, so i have gone through this shit before.

Enjoy!

TravistyOJ
05-12-2014, 02:18 PM
To those that have ordered PICs from me, are you experiencing the 33 issue? I personally tested my null pic on several games, and didn't experience this issue, but I need to know if the PIC I am distributing has an issue.

aoiddr
05-12-2014, 09:40 PM
The PIC you burned for me was fine.

FreedomGundam
05-12-2014, 11:21 PM
A null pic can be set up two ways, one for net booting, one for non net booting.
Yeah, I think I figured that a few days ago.
A miscommunication between me and my PIC supplier got me a GD PIC. Which worked flawlessly on his CF setup, of course, but obviously wouldn't work on my RPi setup.

So I sent it back to him, and I'm waiting to get my PIC back sometime. Can't wait!

leonk
06-12-2014, 10:40 PM
In case anyone runs into Naomi PIC problems in the future with zero key, we solved the problem and wanted to share the solution. There are actually 2 zero pics out there. One for NetBoot and one for CF. Most people have the CF version and it works for them because the python script handles the security for them. If you want to exit the script and have the game continue to work from your net opted naomi, you need a different PIC. The changes in the PIC source is:

Code:
AIJYOANSWER
ADDWF PCL,F ; !!Program-Counter-Modification
DT 0x3A,0x70,0x1F,0x71,0x1F,0x00,0x00,0x00
; DT 0x3A,0x70,0x1F,0x71,0x1F,0x00,0x00,0x01

d7onr8
06-14-2014, 12:01 AM
Ok so how do I replace the roms? I'm using Minitool Partition Wizard and can explore and see them but how do I write to the SD card? When I click the SD card in Windows it doesn't recognize it. I thought the roms partition was Fat? Do I actually need to install Linux?

TravistyOJ
06-14-2014, 10:37 AM
You should be able to just insert your SD card and copy them to the "roms" directory. The first partition is the biggest, and is FAT32 and contains some files used for booting, the python scripts, and the roms folder. The second, much smaller partition is ext4 and contains the linux filesystem used by the kernel. You shouldn't need to use the partition tool at all, unless you are rebuilding the SD card format. So Windows didn't mount it? Try looking in the Administrator Tools for Computer Management, and see if you can map it to a drive letter there.

d7onr8
06-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I used a newer computer and Windows recognized the SD card just fine.

ReplicaX
06-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Seems I have the wrong PIC then as I netboot fine via script on the laptop. My Piforcetools loads AW fine, but Im sure it bypasses. Sucks cause I can't burn a PIC on my current setup.

ReplicaX
06-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Someone wanna sell me a proper Netboot PIC?

kaicer
06-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Hi guys I'm dumb as shit with the raspberry pi, my question is If I clone the sd card of the piforce tools for the pi can I use it with another raspberry pi set? or do I need to program the sd card from zero to work with it.

Vladi
06-22-2014, 02:37 PM
dolphin blue and rumble fish not appearing on game list . all the rest of the game loaded apear on the list .

d7onr8
09-01-2014, 12:48 AM
What's the correct tool to use to edit the game names on the .py file? Is it just wordpad? Everytime I try to add Rumble fish to the py file using wordpad, my LCD won't load/boot.

stormS
09-02-2014, 12:51 AM
sega-naomi.com forums appear to still be offline. That being said, wiring details for dc controllers can also be found here - http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/188522/the-sega-naomi-thread/p3

Finally got my Net Dimm to update and have been playing around loading a few games. Works great from what I've seen so far. ^_^

Not really loader questions, but more Naomi game ones in general...

- Is there a way to actually make a game Typing of the Dead or Lupin III The Typing playable? Like, can you wire a dreamcast keyboard to the CN6 port?

- What about Monkey Ball, any way to get that to work without a banana joystick?

(Fyi, I've got a Capcom I/O in a Sega Astro City.)

Jasen Hicks
09-05-2014, 10:29 PM
What's the correct tool to use to edit the game names on the .py file? Is it just wordpad? Everytime I try to add Rumble fish to the py file using wordpad, my LCD won't load/boot.

You can use notepad no problems. I found that I had the exact same problem when I added the NetDimm upgrade rom to the list... turns out I misplaced a semicolon (i think it was a semicolon, doesn't matter it was some form of punctuation). Double and triple check your syntax and try it again. You can also hook an HDMI screen to the Pi to get more details on whats happening as it boots. It may point you in the right direction for the error that needs to be fixed. Good luck!

d7onr8
09-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. Wordpad, Notepad, and Notepad++ didn't work for me. I had to edit it in Python's IDLE in order to get it to work.

TravistyOJ
09-12-2014, 09:57 AM
I think it must be differences between Windows and Linux carriage returns. I'll do some research to see what i can do to make it work with windows style carriage returns.

sparksterz
09-12-2014, 10:03 AM
I think it must be differences between Windows and Linux carriage returns. I'll do some research to see what i can do to make it work with windows style carriage returns.

It wouldn't be that hard to test that theory in Notepad++. Opening the file, going to Edit -> EOL Conversion you can set it to Windows, Mac, or Unix format. Doing that and then making alterations/saving the file should update the line returns.

ReplicaX
09-12-2014, 10:05 AM

Hmm, I had no issues with this using N++ on Win7 64. I'll double check Rumble Fish in a few hrs after work.

ReplicaX
09-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Hmm, I had no issues with this using N++ on Win7 64. I'll double check Rumble Fish in a few hrs after work.

I have no issues with any of the current release AW games. When I built my LCD and setup my SD card, I followed TravistyOJ's guide on a Win7 64 machine. Edited the .py file with N++ using the correct syntax in the game list. This is just my experience.

leonk
09-26-2014, 11:35 PM
FYI: the current ext4 software seems to be out of date. A new raspberry pi recently came out (model B) and is the only one now available. The software no longer works correctly on this hardware. It seems the default settings don't configure the Ethernet port correctly / bring it up.

Looks like I'll need to use a new distro and port the piforcetools 1.2 to it.

sparksterz
01-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Mild necro bump, and stupid question. My Raspberry Pi I think shit the bed. Can't seem to get it to output anything via HDMI and the LCD doesn't seem to boot/power up. I assume the distro outputs via HDMI in it's original set up and it's likely the Raspberry Pi that's shot. Does that sound right?

TravistyOJ
01-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Yeah, it should output to HDMI, its built on top of ArchLinux, with some small modifications to make the file system read only, but nothing that would disable video out. I would try to make a clean image of Raspbian on a different SD, and see if that outputs video at all, just to make sure its not the SD card causing an issue.

sparksterz
01-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Yeah, it should output to HDMI, its built on top of ArchLinux, with some small modifications to make the file system read only, but nothing that would disable video out. I would try to make a clean image of Raspbian on a different SD, and see if that outputs video at all, just to make sure its not the SD card causing an issue.

Alright, I'll give that a shot before I punt this. Good time for it to happen I suppose, it would seem the model B's are being phased out for the B+ now which seems to have a different Jtag connector.

TravistyOJ
01-09-2015, 03:48 PM
B+ compatibility is coming soon, BTW :) Any features requests folks?

werejag
01-09-2015, 08:21 PM
a percentage loaded for the binary

TravistyOJ
01-10-2015, 01:37 PM
Good call, I think I can do that. It was one of those things I told myself to revisit later, and totally forgot.

leonk
01-10-2015, 06:38 PM
B+ compatibility is coming soon, BTW :) Any features requests folks?

?!? Oh. You mean is a downloadable image. :)

I've been running on B+ for probably over a year now or so. Very easy to use build in package manager to upgrade to B+ compatible kernel / latest distro.

TravistyOJ
01-11-2015, 12:42 AM
Yup, just updating the image with B+ drivers. I've had a lot of requests for it, but life has just been insane, so I didnt have the chance to actually update the image itself. Also going to add more filenames for Atomiswave conversions, and potentially other minor updates.

aoiddr
01-11-2015, 04:06 AM
I can't recall... did Melty Blood Actress Again get patched to work on a 256mb net dimm or does that game only work on a 512mb version?

Sp33dFr34k
01-17-2015, 06:22 PM
Okay, I'm at a loss here, but I think the solution should be rather simple.

Done everything as per tutorial, but can't seem to establish a connection.

It's not my net dimm/Naomi, as I can transfer games from my PC perfectly fine, it's also not the PIC (tried 2 of them, work fine with PC).

Tried to connect via a router, also no connection. Noticed that the lights of the ethernet port don't light up. Though using Raspbian, the ethernet port works perfectly fine.

What's going on here, any ideas?

I'm using the B+ btw, is that the issue?

EDIT: and indeed, it's not compatible with B+ yet. For those interested, somebody created a compatible script for it, can be found here (https://mega.co.nz/#!v1EC0Jqb!1zDPfqOGCaxXnVJCFekR-6OQzqTcVwDdyEL4sDBOGeQ).

d7onr8
01-17-2015, 07:38 PM
Try re-imaging the sd card. Maybe it got corrupt somehow. For me, I know when adding in new games titles, it wouldn't boot at all if I used incorrect syntax.

sparksterz
01-24-2015, 12:01 PM
Figured out what was up I believe. net-config somehow got corrupt with a ton of garbage data. Re-imaged it and it seems to be working fine. Is v1.2 beta the recommended version for a Model B?

TravistyOJ
01-29-2015, 02:49 PM
OK, 1.3 image is now live at http://downloads.capane.us/piforcetools.img.zip

Not much here, but here are release notes:

Full support for B+
Games list is now seperated out to gameslist.py, and a syntax error wont keep the LCD from powering up
Added filenames for atomiswave conversions

kuze
01-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Nice work dude. I'm sure this will come in handy for a lot of folks.

Might not be a bad idea to have the game list as a separate hosted file for easy updating on existing setups.

TravistyOJ
01-29-2015, 03:03 PM
Yeah, im going to update to actual files in github tonight. No need to reimage after you get to 1.3, you can just replaced the updated python scripts in the piforcetools directory.

ReplicaX
01-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the hard work. I'll reimage my original B Pi over the weekend.

Sp33dFr34k
02-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Awesome work Travis, I'll update to your image today :)

kuze
02-12-2015, 09:12 PM
I've got a feature request :)

It would be awesome to be able to set a default image if no selection is made in 'x' seconds. Or no input is detected on the up/down/select buttons in that time.

Another option would be to have it default to the 'last selected image' if no selection/input is detected in a given time.

Certainly not a necessity, but would be cool to see!

aoiddr
02-12-2015, 09:30 PM
I've got a feature request :)

It would be awesome to be able to set a default image if no selection is made in 'x' seconds. Or no input is detected on the up/down/select buttons in that time.

Another option would be to have it default to the 'last selected image' if no selection/input is detected in a given time.

Certainly not a necessity, but would be cool to see!

Oh, this would be an awesome feature to have and I know that I'd use it!

TravistyOJ
03-16-2015, 09:40 PM
Update! Version 1.4 is now available. This version supports B, B+, and the new B Model 2's. If you have a B+, no need to upgrade because boot times are actually a bit slower. I went back to raspbian, because the same image can support all raspberry pi models, but since it uses init.d instead of systemd, it boots a bit slower. I figured that would be easier than managing multiple images. You can download the latest image at http://downloads.capane.us/piforcetools.img.zip

atarijaguar
03-17-2015, 05:51 PM
Update! Version 1.4 is now available. This version supports B, B+, and the new B Model 2's. If you have a B+, no need to upgrade because boot times are actually a bit slower. I went back to raspbian, because the same image can support all raspberry pi models, but since it uses init.d instead of systemd, it boots a bit slower. I figured that would be easier than managing multiple images. You can download the latest image at http://downloads.capane.us/piforcetools.img.zip

What are you using to zip this file? On my mac I can't seem to unzip it.

Double clicking creates the infinite loop archiving issue:
piforcetools.img.zip -> piforcetools.img.zip.cpgz -> piforcetools.img.zip ...

http://osxdaily.com/2013/02/13/open-zip-cpgz-file/

Similarly from the terminal:
% unzip piforcetools.img.zip
Archive: piforcetools.img.zip
warning [piforcetools.img.zip]: 76 extra bytes at beginning or within zipfile
(attempting to process anyway)
error [piforcetools.img.zip]: reported length of central directory is
-76 bytes too long (Atari STZip zipfile? J.H.Holm ZIPSPLIT 1.1
zipfile?). Compensating...
skipping: piforcetools.img need PK compat. v4.5 (can do v2.1)

note: didn't find end-of-central-dir signature at end of central dir.
(please check that you have transferred or created the zipfile in the
appropriate BINARY mode and that you have compiled UnZip properly)

TravistyOJ
03-17-2015, 08:35 PM
I used WinRar. It either compressed it wrong, or uploaded wrong. I'll fix it tonight, thanks man!

@Alaska-
04-10-2015, 09:30 AM
i'm keep getting "connection failed" error with my raspb+ and piforcetool 1.04
fact is the very same rasp+img works on other netdim setup but mine

could be cause i'm on 3.03 dimm firmaware?

ReplicaX
04-10-2015, 10:07 AM

could be cause i'm on 3.03 dimm firmaware?

If I remember it was 3.03 or higher regarding Netbooting in general.

sparksterz
04-10-2015, 11:19 AM
If I remember it was 3.03 or higher regarding Netbooting in general.

In order to upgrade the firmware via a computer you'll need 3.17 or higher though. Otherwise you'll have to flash the chip or find an upgrade disc IIRC.

I remember when I was creating my setup I some connection problems when I tried 4.01 and I had to upgrade all the way to 4.02 which I thought wasn't necessary, but YMMV.

TravistyOJ
04-10-2015, 11:43 AM

could be cause i'm on 3.03 dimm firmaware?Have you set netboot jumper, and IP address/netmask in settings?

@Alaska-
04-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Have you set netboot jumper, and IP address/netmask in settings?

yes ip address is 192.168.1.2 and submask is canonical 255.255.255.0

about netboot jumper they should be correctly set for netbooting as the naomi display "checking network"

i also can't get rid of error 31 when i leave test setting menu and the naomi itself reboots after a while giving said error if nothing is done with it

@Alaska-
04-19-2015, 10:38 AM
found out error 31 is ok when you do nothing with the naomi while it cheks for network

tried many combination and definitely the net dimm is the problem

my naomi mobo + working netdimm (4.01) - success
my raspberry + working naomi and netdimm (4.01) - success
working naomi mobo + my netdimm - same s*it

since i used to netboot properly via router in the past i simply don't know what culd be the problem right now since is also possible to net boot with my current firmware which is 3.03 (as shown in an youtube video)

trush the dimm in the bin?

aoiddr
04-19-2015, 03:31 PM
found out error 31 is ok when you do nothing with the naomi while it cheks for network

tried many combination and definitely the net dimm is the problem

my naomi mobo + working netdimm (4.01) - success
my raspberry + working naomi and netdimm (4.01) - success
working naomi mobo + my netdimm - same s*it

since i used to netboot properly via router in the past i simply don't know what culd be the problem right now since is also possible to net boot with my current firmware which is 3.03 (as shown in an youtube video)

trush the dimm in the bin?

Doesn't the Piforce need the firmware to be 4.01/4.02 to work?
If you have a dimm with 3.03, it would have to be upgraded. (Since you're in Europe, if you asked on ArcadeOtaku, someone could probably help getting that board upgraded.)

DJ Long Cat
04-19-2015, 09:01 PM
I can't get it to work for me. It only displays Error 25 (which says its missing the GD-Rom Drive)

I want to upgrade from a Compact Flash to this.

I'm running a Naomi 2 with USA Bios (I think I dunno if I got multi region or not) and version 4.02 on the Net Dimm. I installed the PIC I got in the kit with no success.

Also, I wanna add games to the Kit I got, whats the User/PW on the linux install?...

aoiddr
04-19-2015, 09:45 PM
I can't get it to work for me. It only displays Error 25 (which says its missing the GD-Rom Drive)

Sounds like you don't have the Net Dimm's jumpers set to Network.
There's an image of how to set them here (page 1, 3rd image):
http://www.setch.org.uk/pics/NetBooting%20Naomi%20-%20Client%20Setup%20Guide.pdf

DJ Long Cat
04-19-2015, 10:14 PM
Sounds like you don't have the Net Dimm's jumpers set to Network.
There's an image of how to set them here (page 1, 3rd image):
http://www.setch.org.uk/pics/NetBooting%20Naomi%20-%20Client%20Setup%20Guide.pdf

Yepyep

I got it working lol. Any idea how I would go about adding the Atomiswave games?

aoiddr
04-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Yepyep

I got it working lol. Any idea how I would go about adding the Atomiswave games?

If have a Windows PC, then just take the SD card and put it in your computer. It should just open up the partition for the SD card then, or browse to the drive manually.

To add files, do this:

Step 0: Put the roms in the rom folder on the card with the others.

Step 1: Download the free program "Notepad++"

Step 2: On the SD Card, go to the folder "piforcetools" and open up the file "piforcetools.py" in Notepad++.
[Note: Before you edit this file, save a back-up.]

Step 3: Add the games you want in this title/file format:
"Fist of the\nNorth Star": "FOTNS_Naomi2_Fixed.bin",

Step 4: Save the file and it should work then.

@Alaska-
04-20-2015, 07:51 PM
Doesn't the Piforce need the firmware to be 4.01/4.02 to work?
If you have a dimm with 3.03, it would have to be upgraded. (Since you're in Europe, if you asked on ArcadeOtaku, someone could probably help getting that board upgraded.)

i should probably check the board over there getting help... thanks to point me that out

about the firmware the answer is - don't know if things change with raspberry
with 3.03 you can netboot (as i did in the past)
this guy upgrade the netdimm being on 3.03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg3Jv_GeDYE

Pablo_the_Mex
05-18-2015, 01:08 AM
Is there a link to a step by step tutorial?

I bought the Naomi 2 bios with my kit. Stupid question but if my current naomi 2 set up has an existing CF adapter can I just slap it on? I tried it and no games load, it just says error loading. I assume the naomi 2 Bios and the PIC travisty sent me have to be installed in order for this to all work, correct?

Also, how do I remove the naomi bios chip off the mobo? It is really stuck in there no homo. Thanks.

werejag
05-18-2015, 03:25 AM
you connect a network cable, the power for the pi you need to set the dimm to network mode. 3 jumpers inside the dimm to network. carfully very carefuly pop the bios chip off. insert the bios chip correctly with the notch. you will need to insert the pichip into the security slot correctly

Pablo_the_Mex
05-19-2015, 12:27 PM
you connect a network cable, the power for the pi you need to set the dimm to network mode. 3 jumpers inside the dimm to network. carfully very carefuly pop the bios chip off. insert the bios chip correctly with the notch. you will need to insert the pichip into the security slot correctly

Thanks again for the help.

So currently on my working CF naomi 2 set up, that already had a PIC and BIOS installed, I changed the dip switches and assigned an IP address. Some games load consistently, like MvC2. Others do not seem to load, and if they do it takes 3 reboots to finally transfer the game (akatsuki blitzkampf). The stupid thing is my test rig is having display problems, so the image is all washed out and I can't see if there are any error codes being displayed. At least it sort of works. Will install the PIC and BIOS that Travisty sent me later. I just wanted to see if the components I had already worked "as is".

klassic
09-10-2015, 06:17 PM
hello. sorry to bump an old post, but need someone's help here. I have a Pi Loader running via a crossover cable to a chihiro. everything worked fine, but my display on the Pi went out. replaced it, but during my troubleshooting, I wiped my network settings. can anyone here tell me what they should be set to? followed a few guides, but I cannot ping the netdimm from the raspberry Pi.

thank!286152861628617

sparksterz
09-10-2015, 10:36 PM
hello. sorry to bump an old post, but need someone's help here. I have a Pi Loader running via a crossover cable to a chihiro. everything worked fine, but my display on the Pi went out. replaced it, but during my troubleshooting, I wiped my network settings. can anyone here tell me what they should be set to? followed a few guides, but I cannot ping the netdimm from the raspberry Pi.

thank!286152861628617

I had a problem once too with my display going out. Turns out one of my files got corrupt. I'd re-image the SD card. Will more than likely solve the issue.

klassic
10-06-2015, 08:09 PM
got a new CF card. put piforce tools on it, 3 game roms, same issues..."netdimm is unreachable"

can someone post a picture of their network settings, for both CORE and MEDIA? thanks. :)

Lemony Vengeance
11-26-2015, 03:15 AM
hey Travis, Just saw this:

http://hackaday.com/2015/11/25/the-5-raspberry-pi-zero/

it's a $5 raspberry Pi!. my next question is....

will the piforce tools work for this? It'll need an external Ethernet to microUSB adapter, but it would be nice to have this floating around instead of the bulkier original PI.

TravistyOJ
11-26-2015, 11:10 PM
Nice, I was wondering if they were going to come out something like CHiP. Theoretically, it should work but might require some changes to the network config files, depending on how a USB Ethernet adapter driver shows up. I believe if it shows up as eth0, it should be fine. Really though, the LCD plate is designed with roughly the same dimensions as the base board, and it relies on a base, so a solution with this board may be technically smaller, but not as evenly weighted as the Pi + Plate.

kuze
11-26-2015, 11:18 PM
Nice, I was wondering if they were going to come out something like CHiP. Theoretically, it should work but might require some changes to the network config files, depending on how a USB Ethernet adapter driver shows up. I believe if it shows up as eth0, it should be fine. Really though, the LCD plate is designed with roughly the same dimensions as the base board, and it relies on a base, so a solution with this board may be technically smaller, but not as evenly weighted as the Pi + Plate.

Right but you could also just use a fixed image and skip the LCD altogether, would be a super cheap way to netboot.

aoiddr
11-27-2015, 09:08 PM
Right but you could also just use a fixed image and skip the LCD altogether, would be a super cheap way to netboot.

You know, I'd actually love to have a fixed image version of the Piforce that I could set to load just one set game.

d7onr8
11-27-2015, 09:29 PM
You know, I'd actually love to have a fixed image version of the Piforce that I could set to load just one set game.

Someone has made this. Checkout https://github.com/dev-tty0/Piforce-Single

There also a web version you can launch from your phone: https://github.com/dev-tty0/Piforce-Web

aoiddr
11-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Someone has made this. Checkout https://github.com/dev-tty0/Piforce-Single

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I had some problems with the image file, but figured out a workaround.

If anyone has a problem with Piforce-Single, the steps I took were:
-write the 4GB image to an SD Card. (I used SelfImage.)
-download the zip of dev-tty0's files.
-open the zip, go into the "Piforce-Single-master" folder, and copy those 3 files and 2 folders to your SD card.
-put a game into the "roms" folder on the SD Card.
-go into "sbin/piforce" and open up "singleforce.py" in Notepad++. Add the rom file name to the 7th line.
EXAMPLE: rom_dir = '/boot/rom/Outrun_2_Special_Tours_512.bin'

It should work then.

loscanones
01-11-2016, 04:23 PM
If somebody`s interested to get the solution about "Naomi console cannot not reset after Atomiswave game loaded" can PM me.
Solution is Software+Hardware and it will force console to reset every single time a game is loaded so no more "sending" freezing issues.
I test it in two ways, reset through tacho wire of the video chipset fan (Derek2k idea), and through the reset chip on the mainboard.

aoiddr
01-11-2016, 06:47 PM
If somebody`s interested to get the solution about "Naomi console cannot not reset after Atomiswave game loaded" can PM me.
Solution is Software+Hardware and it will force console to reset every single time a game is loaded so no more "sending" freezing issues.
I test it in two ways, reset through tacho wire of the video chipset fan (Derek2k idea), and through the reset chip on the mainboard.

I'm sure that the people that converted all the Atomiswave games to run on the Naomi would like to hear about this. Can you post the info over on their Arcade-Projects Forum?
http://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?board/5-atomiswave-2-naomi-conversion/

Ninjando
01-28-2016, 01:11 PM
So i finally got a Netdimm in order to try this, but all I'm getting is a black screen. Apparently the Naomi isn't getting enough power from the Sun PSU, so I have to increase the voltage? How would I go about doing that?

My netdimm firmware is 4.02.

aoiddr
01-28-2016, 01:36 PM
So i finally got a Netdimm in order to try this, but all I'm getting is a black screen. Apparently the Naomi isn't getting enough power from the Sun PSU, so I have to increase the voltage? How would I go about doing that?

My netdimm firmware is 4.02.

Look for a hole that has a knob in there that you can turn with a screwdriver. That's how you adjust the 5v power level. Just make sure you check what the amount of power it's outputting before and after you do this with a multimeter.

Reclaimer
01-28-2016, 03:33 PM
Just to echo aoiddr - Use a multimeter to check voltages. Then adjust. Then check again. Don't fry your shit by turning knobs willy nilly.

Ninjando
01-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. I just ordered a multimeter, so I'll give it a shot once it arrives.

Ninjando
02-01-2016, 09:52 PM
So I finally have a screen, but now I'm getting error 34 Gateway cannot be found. I double checked everything and narrowed it down to the pic. What should my next step be?

aoiddr
02-02-2016, 01:12 AM
So I finally have a screen, but now I'm getting error 34 Gateway cannot be found. I double checked everything and narrowed it down to the pic. What should my next step be?

If you're sure it's the zero-key PIC, then I'd look to get another one burned from a different source. You can ask Fox1 or Mitsurugi-W (he's on another forum) if they are able to make them.

Ninjando
02-13-2016, 04:59 PM
So I've made some progress. I sent my netdimm in to be looked at and it turns out the firmware wasn't even 4.02 like it was advertised on ebay. After an update to 4.02, it boots like normal. I was able to try it out last night and the only game that runs for me at the moment is Fist of the North Star. Every other game I tried to load gets Error 33. Apparently this error is linked to the pic somehow. Any ideas? I have 2 separate pics now, and I'm getting the same error with both.

PheNOM07
04-10-2016, 09:08 PM
Has anyone tried Piforce tool with the Raspberry Pi 3 yet?

TravistyOJ
05-16-2016, 04:58 PM
Sorry this took so long, but I just uploaded version 1.5 to http://downloads.travistyoj.com/piforcetools.img.zip

This was built with the latest version of Raspbian Jessie Lite, so it has faster boot times than the previous version, and supports B/B+/2/3.

Let me know if you have any issues.

werejag
05-16-2016, 11:23 PM
so ill have to edit this for mine

PheNOM07
05-16-2016, 11:55 PM
Every works fine on the Pi 3 except the LED on the LCD. It flashes for bit and stays off.

sparksterz
05-17-2016, 10:38 AM
Sorry this took so long, but I just uploaded version 1.5 to http://downloads.travistyoj.com/piforcetools.img.zip

This was built with the latest version of Raspbian Jessie Lite, so it has faster boot times than the previous version, and supports B/B+/2/3.

I'll try it with my B in the next few days. I've been having a hell of a time with my SD card corrupting for some reason when turning off so I'm needing to make it from scratch again. Is this one partitioned properly? I remember one release not being set up right.

Hashman
07-08-2016, 09:46 PM

Working perfectly on my pi3 with rgb screen. Thanks!

leonk
08-04-2016, 09:37 PM
For those of you that are using the old white text on Blue background LCD (16x2) and wondering why the backlight flickers on for a second and then stays off, you need to edit piforcetools.py file in the piforcetools directory and comment / remove the following line:

lcd.backlight(lcd.BLUE)

NoAffinity
06-29-2017, 11:40 PM
I guess I'm the first one to have problems with a new Piforce Tools setup since last year. :\

I'm setting up my Pi ahead of my Naomi and NET DIMM showing up, which I hope to have next week.

I got the Pi 2 B+, with 16x2 blue/white LCD screen

Had to do some modification to the code for Piforce Tools 1.5, but eventually got it to the point that I can run piforcetools from the command line, and it appears to be working properly. LCD lights up. Title message displays, then the game list is available. Selecting a game returns "Connecting..." followed by "Error: Connections Failed" which I would expect since I'm net yet connected to a NET DIMM.

However, when rebooting or power cycling, the Pi boots to the login, but the LCD doesn't turn on. How can I make piforcetools run at startup?

NoAffinity
07-01-2017, 01:11 PM
I figured it out. Not without quite a bit of effort tho. The filesystem was booting as read-only. Had to change it to read-write then edit /etc/fstab so the file system would boot as rw.

Then had to edit rc.local to include a command to run piforcetools.py at startup. I could see it loading at startup before this, but for some reason, it didn't initiate the LCD screen until after making this change in rc.local.

Also enabled I2C through raspi-config. Raspi-config had to be apt-get'ted. And of course, I couldn't do that until after editing /etc/network/interfaces to make the internet connection dhcp. Will have to change interfaces back to static 192.168.1.1...

Am I the only one that wasn't able to just burn the image to my SD card and be on my way? Or are the rest of you guys already that awesome at linux? This was a refresher course for sure. Been quite a few years since I've done anything serious in linux.

Last question: anybody have any good suggestions for revising the code so that the LCD screen turns off after a game is sent/loaded? Or even for the pi to shutdown after the game loads? It seems silly to keep powering either or both once it has served its purpose.

fisk
07-30-2017, 09:51 PM
I've got a question. The game list for piforce tools, can it be changed or updated? How does that work? What if I want to add a game that is not on the list? What if the games I have that are on the list are different versions (like mvc2 with all the characters unlocked). Would I just rename it to what it is named on the game list file? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

aoiddr
07-30-2017, 10:29 PM
I've got a question. The game list for piforce tools, can it be changed or updated? How does that work? What if I want to add a game that is not on the list? What if the games I have that are on the list are different versions (like mvc2 with all the characters unlocked). Would I just rename it to what it is named on the game list file? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks!

On your SD Card, go into the folder called "/piforcetools" and open the file called "piforcetools.py" in a program like Notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.4.2.html). Then just edit or add to the games using the same format you see.
"World Series\nBaseball": "WorldSeriesBaseball.bin",
"(V)Trigger Heart\nExelica": "VERTICAL/TriggerHeartExelica_v6.bin",

Be sure to make a back-up of the file first, in case you mess up and have to revert something.