AES 9v 1.2a and high meg games

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I need to clear something up here. I'm sure someone here has already figured out the power requirements and such...

On Neo Geo, the ROM size of the cartridge can actually affect the minimum power usage, even on 1-slot boards yes?

On an AES 9v system, people often say 1a is okay but not recommended. I assume any low meg game would be fine here.

But what if you plugged in a 708 meg game? Does anyone know what the minimum amperage is needed to power a 9v AES system with a 700+ meg game? Is it higher than 1.2a? I need to so so I can get a better PSU if need be.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
I need to clear something up here. I'm sure someone here has already figured out the power requirements and such...

On Neo Geo, the ROM size of the cartridge can actually affect the minimum power usage, even on 1-slot boards yes?

On an AES 9v system, people often say 1a is okay but not recommended. I assume any low meg game would be fine here.

But what if you plugged in a 708 meg game? Does anyone know what the minimum amperage is needed to power a 9v AES system with a 700+ meg game? Is it higher than 1.2a? I need to so so I can get a better PSU if need be.
That is an interesting question. I always thought the stock pro pow3 was a 9V 1amp system which should be sufficient enough for those higher meg carts. I use to run KOF2000 on my japanese aes using the 9V 1amp psu and never had a issue. But since KOF is only 686megs I'm not sure about over 700. Why not ask ngdev team their games are over that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
My largest home cart is probably KOF 97, but I've used a converter with a Garou MVS cart which is about as big as they come and it's been fine with my 1.2A Genesis power supply. The only game I've had an issue with is Metal Slug X.

*edit* Garou is 688, so it's a little lower than you are asking.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I've run into problems with 1.2A so I recommend 2A.

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
My Metal Slug 3 (708) runs much smoother on my 5V system compared with my 9V, there's hardly no slowdown at all. Don't know if it has to do with the PSU... could be that I have much more play time on the later system and it's starting to wear out.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
688 is still close enough, I was merely asking about the largest Megabit size for official releases (which would be 716Meg for KOF 2003, which I don't have on AES). 600+ Megs is still way bigger than 55Megs, thus there is a significant difference in amperage needed.

Yeah I will take Xian Xi's suggestion and find a good 9v 2a power supply for my 9v AES, so I can play my higher meg games without worry. Will probably have to modify a PSU...

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
I also bought this replacement adapter (http://www.ebay.com/itm/150613465967) but it doesn't improve game play compared to my Pro-Pow-E adapter. The one from Otakus store doesn't even say what amperage it outputs, probably 1A. I found it quite hard to find an adapter with negative tip and amperage over 400mA.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
The only real option is to find a 9v 2a adapter, regardless of barrel size or polarity, chop that off and solder on a new barrel jack with negative polarity. That's what I do with impossible-to-replace AC adapters.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've got a generic 1.8A ac adapter around here somewhere, I may give it a whirl.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
My highest MEG cart is Fast Striker at 1560 Megs, and my neo console with power adapter of the lowest current is 11V 700 mA. The game runs on it without any problems.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
My highest MEG cart is Fast Striker at 1560 Megs, and my neo console with power adapter of the lowest current is 11V 700 mA. The game runs on it without any problems.

That's the thing, too. When I had problems with the 1.2A power supply my other AES systems I had I tested at the same time. 2 of 4 needed more than 1.2A while the other 2 were fine. So because of that I just go with the standard 2A since they are easy to find and having more amps doesn't hurt anything.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
That's the thing, too. When I had problems with the 1.2A power supply my other AES systems I had I tested at the same time. 2 of 4 needed more than 1.2A while the other 2 were fine. So because of that I just go with the standard 2A since they are easy to find and having more amps doesn't hurt anything.

Interesting this might explain the issue I have with my 9v system when I was using the oem power supply with the magic key and high meg count game it wouldn't wana start lol

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Well, when I say high meg I mean original SNK titles. I'd like to hope NG Dev's PCBs are a lot more power efficient than SNK's 15 year old boards.

Is there no real rhyme or reason behind some 9v systems working fine on 1.2a while others don't?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Well, when I say high meg I mean original SNK titles. I'd like to hope NG Dev's PCBs are a lot more power efficient than SNK's 15 year old boards.

Is there no real rhyme or reason behind some 9v systems working fine on 1.2a while others don't?

That reminds me. My Metal Slug 5 (708 Megs) mvs cart used to reset on me with the Phantom-1 converter. After I sent it to DavidG and he modded it, I can play through the whole game on the 11V 700mA system without any problems. Of course, that's probably an issue with the converter rather than the current.

So which high MEG carts did you test on?

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
My highest is Metal Slug 3 at 708 Megs, but I've also tried a couple 600 Meg games too. For the most part they run fine on my 9v AES with a 1.2a adapter, but I usually just play it on my 5v system which has a higher amp PSU, to be on the safe side. I don't feel comfortable testing though, finding out the AC adapter isn't enough usually means the console or game suffers damage, or the PSU dies.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
IIRC it is the design of the mobo that affects current draw the most rather than the MEG size (or the number of carts). The linked thread applies to mvs mobo for the most part but you can see that even with the same games inserted, three different mobos draw vastly different current to run them. Raising the number of carts inserted only increase current draw slightly.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-on-a-1-slot-2-slot-and-4-slot-on-the-5V-rail

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Yeah that's a given, but on MVS boards it's a little different, they all run on 5v. That and I don't think any 1st gen AES boards ever used 9v, so that makes for an uneven comparison. The meg size (more specifically, the sheer amount of chips needing power) does actually affect the draw. MKL made a post showing an MV-4 with no carts and again with as many high meg carts as he could find. The draw increased by almost a full amp. On an AES, that could mean a high meg cart could add as little as 250mA draw on the PSU alone.

For the AES systems Xian Xi mentioned, it could be that some used different voltage regulator circuits. My 9v AES has a LM2576.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The LM276 has the same output capacity (5v@3A) as the 5v PRO-POW supplies included in the first gen systems. The only thing that varies with the 9v systems is the amperage on the included PSU which I've seen range from 850-1000 mA. Assuming 100% efficiency, you're going to need at least 1.7A on a 9v power supply to get 15 watts out of them. This is never going to happen which is why Xian_Xi recommends getting a 9v@2A power supply to get the max power the system will ever need. At the end of the day, all Neo-Geo systems run off 5v. How it's fed into and converted in the system is a different story.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
My 11V 700mA system is only 7.7watts. Yet the high Meg carts runs on it without problems.