Need help asap!!!!

boss0033

Kula's Candy
Here's my dilemma..... have a super neo 29 and have never had an issue with it at all...just got fast strikers and last hope today and wanted to test em out....I know these ngdev games can be a pain in the slots so I tried one at a time with all the other slots empty.... fast strikers worked fine. However, when I tried Last Hope I got nothing and I swear I heard a pop noise from inside the cab... the screen is just blank now and even when I try regular carts I get nothing... could last hope screwed up my cab or monitor... not sure what to do now so any advice would be appreciated

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
If you heard a "PoPing" noise, then (get a multi-meter and continuity/diode) check your fuses. See if you blew a fuse.

Iirc, there should be one in, on, or around the PSU. And, one on the chassis (monitor board).

If the cab play's bind, then start with the chassis. If the cab does NOT play blind, then start with the PSU.

Here's my dilemma..... have a super neo 29 and have never had an issue with it at all...just got fast strikers and last hope today and wanted to test em out....I know these ngdev games can be a pain in the slots so I tried one at a time with all the other slots empty.... fast strikers worked fine. However, when I tried Last Hope I got nothing and I swear I heard a pop noise from inside the cab... the screen is just blank now and even when I try regular carts I get nothing... could last hope screwed up my cab or monitor... not sure what to do now so any advice would be appreciated

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Basically, you're looking for a blown fuse, or a bad/deformed fuse.

The m-m will tell you if the fuse can carry current. It's a rough check. If the fuse is blown, then the meter will not "buzz." But, some bad/deformed fuses (with blisters on the filliment) will buzz but still be bad. So eyeball it, and use your better judgement.

btw, when you check the fuse, make sure the power is off, remove it from the holder, and then check it. You may need a little screwdriver to remove it from the holder.

And if you take both fuses out at the same time, don't forget which one goes where. Write it down. And take pictures. You don't want to put the wrong fuse back in the wrong holder.

boss0033

Kula's Candy
The fuse on the PSU looks good...I tried a mm on the jamma harness and not getting a reading for -5 or +5 (it actually bounces from .00 to .05 then back to .00???)...I got 12.04 on the +12

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The fuse on the PSU looks good...I tried a mm on the jamma harness and not getting a reading for -5 or +5 (it actually bounces from .00 to .05 then back to .00???)...I got 12.04 on the +12

Is that with a board connected?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Connect a board you don't care about just in case something goes wrong. Basically a smoke board. Plug it in then check the readings again.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What kind of power supply is in the cab? Is there a fuse on the +5v line? If there isn't then it looks like you need a new power supply.

boss0033

Kula's Candy
Its the factory one...there's another thread here that shows a pic of it under super neo 29 dead monitor... the fuse is on the front of the psu. I unscrewed it and it looks OK but who knows. Can a game ruin the PSU of was it just a coincidence I tried running last hope?

boss0033

Kula's Candy
What's that??? Never tested a fuse before... pretty much set my mm to 200 ohm and placed the leads on each end of the fuse and that's the reading a got which based on what online sites say its a good fuse. I'm not sure how to do any other test

boss0033

Kula's Candy
I have a guy coming out to replace the PSU. He ask me if I had the wiring diagram for the PSU that's dead. Does anyone know where I can get this??? Also, what type of PSU do I need for the replacement?

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
What's that??? Never tested a fuse before

switch your MM to this symbol

conticon1.jpg

if the display moves to 0 you have continuity. if it doesn't, that fuse is POPPED!

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
The lowest setting ohms test basically does the same thing as the Diode/Continuity test, and it is more accurate.

---

Those +5v power readings are not good. These indicate that your PSU is bad.

I'm thinking you had a power surge and it took out the PSU.

Sometimes a cab suffers a surge and the fuse does not blow.

---

Found a manual for a Super Neo '29.

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/9/9c/SNK_Super_Neo_29_Candy_Manual.pdf

Looks like it has the same PSU as a Neo/Candy 29?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's most likely from the repetitive power surges from flipping the power supply on and off trying to get the game to work.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Basically what I'm saying, in plain English, is that there is no way in hell that an arcade PCB can start up with a power supply that puts out +0.45v on the +5v line.

In order for a PCB to even have a chance of starting up, the power supply has to put out least, about, +4.85v on the +5v line.

So, what I'm saying, imho, is, i think you need to test your cab out with another power supply. One that is known to work good. And see what happens next. See if the cab starts working again with the known good power supply in it. And if it does, then consider replacing the bad one.

And pick a power supply with either the same specs, or better, as your current power supply. Don't down grade.

Last edited:

boss0033

Kula's Candy
Thanks for all the help guys! Any PSU brand or type u recommend for this type of cab?

boss0033

Kula's Candy
I think I may have lucked out! Big thanks to jon713 for having me check the fuse on the jamma harness. That fuse is blown. Now just gotta get a new fuse and hopefully that's the problem.