Emulation

ibbo

n00b
What's the general consensus here on emulation of the neo-geo, just asking because it isn't mentioned here often.

wjw123

Krauser's Henchman
Originally posted by ibbo:
What's the general consensus here on emulation of the neo-geo, just asking because it isn't mentioned here often.

I don't like someone to get a game for free. It seems unethnical.

Anyway there is nothing like the real thing.

JRock917

, ,
I too am a collector at heart, but a gamer first, so I like to know something about a game before I buy it, so I guess emulation is good in that regard. But from a collector standpoint, it feels like someone took a cart and raped it when I hear of someone playing neo emulations. All of my games I have on either cd or cart, and I really do prefer that over emulations; if you have a question about a game, you can always ask someone on this site.

ibbo

n00b
It's not so much wanting to know about certain games, as I know enough about the neo-geo for this site to make sense, I know the difference between a s1 rom and a m1 rom it's just that in the UK a good MVS setup is pretty scarce, the first time I saw a neo-geo was when I was about 10 with World Heroes in a local (now defunct), the last time I saw one was 2 years ago I saw kof98 at segaworld in London. I enjoy a good old game of Waku Waku 7 and would much rather be playing on the Neo-Geo LT then on Mame or Neoragex, still I'll be still seen like a penny pinching grinch then an AES Addict but that's okay with me.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I think emulation can be great thing. It was the only way I got to play many of the Neo·Geo games I otherwise probably never would have played. Now I have an idea of what games I would like to buy. I never would have become the Magical Drop junkie I became had I not been into the emu scene, and not I own MD2, and I'm still going after MD3, just for two examples.

To be perfectly honest, nobody's going to lose any money now since all the emulated Neo games are out of production. Since Neo games are generally so difficult to find and expensive, it's not such a bad thing. And for everyone who plays them, they'll soon realize they want the real thing, if they're into buying carts.

JRock917

, ,
I tell you one thing, one of the main reasons I ended up buying a neo geo system in the first place was becuase I experienced SS2 on PC-CD, and the game totally sucked; emulations dont feel very different in that regard as far as I am concerned. However, emulations are a far better thing to have around then NGF scam carts, so if I had to choose between which form of "piracy" I detested the most, I would easily choose NGF over emulations. Bomber man you make a good point about the games being out of production, and its not like people offering emulations of games are trying to sell an "official NGF cart" or something.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Even though I would like original Neo-Geo games myself anytime over emulated roms, I don't mind people playing the roms for free, sometimes it's the reason why Neo-geo games are introduced to others.

The main problem I have, are actually the people in the emulation scene, to find out how rude they are, visit emux.com's forum:
http://www.emux.com/cgi-bin/board/forum.cgi?forum=4

I won't need to say much and I wouldn't even waste a second there.

JRock917

, ,
now that does sound alot like NGF...
smile.gif

ibbo

n00b
About that Emux forum, oh my god, they were talking about the British presenter of WhoWantsToBeAMillionaire! Anyway though thanks for all the positive feedback, as I could understand some people getting quite agitated by a rom seeking newbie. Anyway I look forward to having a "fun" time here.

shroudz

n00b
Neo-rage rules, I have most of the roms and enjoy playing them a lot,I mainly collect so I like to keep my games and system mint so I just keep that in storage, I use to take out the neo, play it, then carefully put it back in its box and put everything back so neatly
even puting the plastic ties around the cable, am I nuts or does anyone else do that?
anyway it was a hinderance and I have little time these days so I enjoy just whipping out Neo-rage, Most ppl cannot aford to have a neo=geo so Im glad there is a substitute, In the old days anyone could find a mvs at any arcade but they have become a lot more scarse and there are very few of the older and rare games popping up, If it wasn't for neo-rage or mame I never would have experienced Waku Waku 7, as It stands I want to buy as soon as I get enough cash as I enjoyed it thouroughly, even though Obviously there really is no match as playing the real thing, but it gives a good indication of what ur gonna get, I treat roms more like samples for me to play with and if I like it I get the real thing.I am against new roms like kof 99 and 2000 being realesed so soon , when there is still 2 strong a dependedncy on sales, this only has a negative effect to the company and to its real fans who support it who have to tollerate with price rises due to piracy .I also belive that it is unfair to the true fans who spend the large amount of money it costs to buy a new game, whilst others play it for free, though inferior as it is, There should be a time factor involved before it is made public.I guess as arrogan't as this sounds I still like being the only kid on the block who will have kof 2000 for Neo-geo.8-)Im not rich and have many obligations such as my family, and because we are in australia the american doller is now double to ours, It takes me 2-3 months to save for a new cart, and that means not going out or buying any other things, So with this sacrafice , I'd like to feel my new cart is somewhat unique and special and not tainted by roms or copies (NGF) untill i have had at least a year to play with it.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Shroudz, you're exactly like me, I keep my games as neat as possible. After getting into emulation and Neo-Geo CDRs, I'd hardly touched my home carts. I also have 3 new systems sit in the boxes and use only 2, I felt my investment for so many units are justified consider how many home carts I have.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Oh, I meant 3 new systems and 2 used systems altogether, couldn't conjugate quickly.

ProphetRG

n00b
Wow... Glad to see people here don't hate emulation. It is afterall an amazing technology and has actually caused more interest in the Neo than ever.

Personally I always loved NeoGeo games, ever since I played Magician Lord back in the old days when the MVS was new. Without emulation, I could have never really known what many of the games were like. Most ppl just cannot afford those games, and where I live MVS arcades are very rare now.

And honestly, emus can be BETTER than the real thing! I know hardcore collectors don't want to hear that, but if you saw some of the emulation setups ppl have, you'd be surprised. Real arcade controls, big screens, even real cabinets etc. etc. Plus you can run lotsa other games, from Pacman and beyond. It's fun stuff, and makes a nice contrast to the new consoles.

-P- www.retrogames.com

benares

Kula's Candy
Emulation is a beautiful thing for some people. Take me for instance: I've been looking for an Old Tecmo game called "Solomon's Key" for the last 4 years. In those 4 years I have failed to turn up even one marquee or dead PCB. What am >I< supposed to do? Just keep looking and not enjoy a PERFECT emulation on my computer? No!

I will enjoy the emulators for what they are: A way to play the games I enjoy that are near impossible to find regardless of how much money I throw at "finders fee" people.

The Neo emulators are not perfect but they are MUCH better than anticipated.

Still as, Emerald Lagassie says "Imitation Vanilla is just that... an imitation"

ProphetRG

n00b
Benares, yes I agree. The real thing is always best because, well, it's perfect.
wink.gif
But emus are damn good!

If I ever have a house with a basement and lots more money, believe me I'll buy a few real arcade cabs and you bet one will be a NeoGeo 4-slot with MS3,LB2,SS2 & KoF96 installed. Or maybe WW7, PB2, SS4 & MotW. Or maybe... Well, I'll decide if/when the time comes. :P

-P- www.retrogames.com

G

gokusama26

After getting into emulation and Neo-Geo CDRs, I'd hardly touched my home carts. I also have 3 new systems sit in the boxes and use only 2, I felt my investment for so many units are justified consider how many home carts I have.
-------------------------------------------

That I cannot agree with. If the NEO is unavailiable to you because of old, scarce hardware, then that would be ok. But, if you spent all that money on systems and games just to have them sit in a closet while you play copy games and emulators is like looking at your stereo. You have missed the point. Drag out those NEO's and enjoy them. After all, they aren't much fun when they just sit in a box you have to dust every week just to keep them "mint"

I would also like to say it makes the NEO seem less special. If I bought a Gowcaiser cart tomorrow, It wouldn't feel as good if I spent 3 years and 700 dollars to get it, and some kid spent 20 minutes searching for a ROM, and then downloaded it. Him having the same game experience doesn't make me feel like my collecting is justified. After all, I could have saved that 700 dollars and time, and gotten a DSL Line, and had all the NEO ROMs in two days. Just lessens the cool factor of the system.

JRock917

, ,
Well if you take good care of your stuff you ought to be able to enjoy playing it as well as collecting it. That is what I do; I only collect that which I plan to play. It may not work for other people, but if I spend one, two, three hundred dollars on a cart I am damn sure gonna play the snot out of the thing.

G

gokusama26

Exactly! If I owned 60+ carts, I'd play the hell out of them, but handle them carefully. Hey, vincewy, next time you want to buy a new NEO game, just send me the cash since you will just put the cart away, and download the ROM. I could use 100 bucks! Plus, you won't have to go to the trouble of cracking open the seal on your NEO vault to put the game in there.
biggrin.gif

G

gokusama26

now that I read that, it seems pretty mean. I was making a joke and being sarchastic. I know you can't see me tilting my head and winking at the screen right now, but I am!
biggrin.gif

Innovator

Cheng's Errand Boy
I don't care for emulation at all. I agree with gokusama26. If you got a Neo Geo before Neorage kicked in you felt like you where the shit (at least I did), but now any emulation freak has access now. Horrible Neorage conversation 24:

Me: I have a Neo Geo.

Some Kid: Oh you have the emulator?

Me: Don't insult me.

I swear I don't even like talking about SNK because of situations like these. Most recent Horrible Neorage conversation:

Emu Freak: You're getting KOF 2000 over a PS2?!

Me: Hell yeah. I'm hardcore.

Emu Freak: Why?

Me: I have have them all and it wouldn't be cool if don't get the last one.

Emu Freak: I have them all too. KOF 2000 is gonna be emulated. They're making a new emulator for it.

Me: Really...

Emu Freak: You need to stop being so hardcore.

Anybody know where I can buy CDRs?

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Believe it or not one would need to quit their job or drop out of school to "play the hell out of 60+ games" and only people that get paid to play are of course the professional play testers, making it rather impossible for normal gamers to do this.

Having everything right there on the computer can actually be quite comvenient, even if not up to "real" standards. There is one reason though that emu versions (puzzle games mostly) always stand to be better than the home cartridge versions:

They save the high scores!

When I get just under three and a half million points in Pop 'n Bounce, I bloody well want to save that, to look at it, admire it, and so I have a real score to beat, next time I sit down to play it. I really hoped my high scores would be saved with the card on MD2, but no, so it makes no difference, I simply compete against the same
1st 5000
2nd 5000
3rd 5000
4th 5000
5th 5000

etc. etc. each time I play. Well I have NRX & the home cart system, so I can enjoy both, but neither is perfect, and both repeatedly present their attractive advantages over the other so I see nothing wrong with enjoying both.

[This message has been edited by Neo Bomber Man (edited October 31, 2000).]

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
------------------
When I get just under three and a half million points in Pop 'n Bounce, I bloody well want to save that, to look at it, admire it, and so I have a real score to beat, next time I sit down to play it.
-------------------

Lol, i use a pencil & paper.
smile.gif

-nick_th_fury

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
I used to, but the papers eventually disappeared, and even the white cardboard boxes on the sides of which I wrote my scores were eventually collapsed and disposed of, taking my high scores with them. Besides, it looked more impressive to remind people with "proof" as opposed a scribble that I got over nine hundred thrity-four million points in 3-D Pinball VCR or whatever it was called (that souped-up version of PFD), as perhaps the best example, until my brother deleted the game itself.
smile.gif

thurow

n00b
Emulation is all right, I myself have every Neo Geo Game out on emulation. I also am a collector so of course owning the real thing and playing it is a whole different experience than just poping in one cd with 60 games on it. I even went out and bought the MVS system to play those not released carts and to have that real arcade type experience. So I have to say emulation is good to a point but owning the real thing is way better.