Garou MOTW with Magic Key MVS Converter Problems

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
So I recently purchased a Garou: MOTW kit, and cosmetically, everything looked OK (the clear, green divider bothered me a little, since it didn't match the clear cartridge, but I got over it), until I plugged it in to my Neo MVS Magic Key that I got from Razoola. Here's the problem:

When I boot it up, there's no opening screen to change languages like I do with the rest of my MVS games. The screen dims, then brightens, and sound only plays when I slightly pull the converter out of the AES. I even pulled the cartridge out a little also, but white, grey, multi-colored lines still show up.

The MOTW cartridge boards look like the board sets on the MVS scans, except instead of two generic chips in the scans, both are Toshiba ones, but the chips have the same numbers identifying them like the scans. On the KE/KC chip, there's some yellow paint on the top, trying to cover the KC.

I know that it's not the converter, because it works with every other game that I have. The system is an American system, and there's no problem with it either. I cleaned the connectors with a cloth, a gift card, and rubbing alcohol, and no dirt was present on the cloth. The cart pins aren't too bad, so they just look a little hazy. I was looking at other threads that have the same problem, but nothing for the converter. Help is very much appreciated!

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ou-MoTW-MVS-Cart&highlight=Garou+MVS+problems

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...VS-cart-problems&highlight=Garou+MVS+problems

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...es-Boot-Problems&highlight=Garou+MVS+problems

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Sounds like you need a stronger power supply. What is the rating of the one you have now?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I agree with Xain Xi.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Sounds like you need a stronger power supply. What is the rating of the one you have now?

I agree with Xain Xi.

It's a Enercell "travel charger" that the guy threw in when I bought it.

Input: 100-240 V- 50-60 hz 0.5A
Connector Output: 5v--1.5A

It also has a USB charger to it, and the output is 5V--2.1A

I really need to get the stock converter, I'm guessing that the first board has those two capacitors in the board to power it up.

Raz, I know that it wasn't your converter that I got, because a lot of the games work, except for Garou. I'll have to buy a the original hook up, so I can play truly see if that's the problem.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's a 5v system, get one that can do 5v@3amps, make sure it's a negative tip as well + ----(o----- -

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
If it's a 5v system, get one that can do 5v@3amps, make sure it's a negative tip as well + ----(o----- -

Since I got it loose, the only thing I know by looking where the serial is, its rating is 8W.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Since I got it loose, the only thing I know by looking where the serial is, its rating is 8W.

You need to open the console up to tell for sure if it's a 9v-13v system or a 5v system. Sometimes people recase old boards so you can'r go by the sticker all the time.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Xian, found one of your comments in Chupame's old thread.

Near the reset button if you see a 3 pin green device it is a 5v system, in your pic it is to the left of the reset button. If you see a 5 pin device below the reset button then it is a 9v-13v system. In your pic the space is empty below the reset button where the shiny metal plate is showing.

Looks like there's a 3 pin green device near the reset button. Here are some pictures of the system itself:

5V.JPG

AES Board.JPG

Hope this helps!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup, 5v system. Get one that is 3 amps capable and negative tip. If you can't find one let me know, I can make you one.

James

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
Tried to buy one at Radioshack, but it was still the same damn plug!

Gonna try a local electronics store that might have it. I'll let you know how things go, James!