MVS joystick preference

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Alright, I was thinking about replacing the stock joysticks in my Big Red but spoke with a local arcade tech that I was trying to buy the parts from and he talked me out of it. His recommendation was to keep it as close to stock as possible and that the response times would not be improved going from standard Happ sticks to Happ competition sticks or similar newer precision sticks.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I'm not an expert in what's the best joystick or anything, but my cab needed replacements and I haphazardly bought a couple of HAPP Super joysticks and am very happy with them for all types of games. I think it's more about feel than response time. Like the resistance of it. The Super is not too loose, not too rigid... It feels pretty 'springy' compared to the standard. Hope this helps a little.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
My personal opinion but I would go with IL euro sticks over Happ ones. The reason why is I feel since Suzo Happ stuff is now manufactured over in China the quality has gone down and they are not as good at the original ones once were. Older Happ competition sticks were actually re-branded IL sticks, both of my sticks were Happ IL originals and I got used to how they feel. Anyone used to the old competition will more than likely prefer an IL over the new HAPP stuff. If these are going into a big red I think IL would be the way to go. I just made a thread not too long ago asking the same question, I ended up getting the IL sticks and I love them so far in my big red.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
My personal opinion but I would go with IL euro sticks over Happ ones. The reason why is I feel since Suzo Happ stuff is now manufactured over in China the quality has gone down and they are not as good at the original ones once were. Older Happ competition sticks were actually re-branded IL sticks, both of my sticks were Happ IL originals and I got used to how they feel. Anyone used to the old competition will more than likely prefer an IL over the new HAPP stuff. If these are going into a big red I think IL would be the way to go. I just made a thread not too long ago asking the same question, I ended up getting the IL sticks and I love them so far in my big red.

I have Happ competition sticks in my Big Red a little too rigid for my taste. So I went over to Paradise Arcade's online store and looked at some EU IL Sticks and they all say IL Euro Stick(aka Happ Competition). What the hell?

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
If were talking about changing without modification I like the Sanwa JLW. But I prefer seimitsu ls40 with ps14gn(c) buttons. Like the feel of the stick, especially with all the fighters and its good with shooters too.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Sanwa JLF with an octagonal gate and a heavier spring. You can order it all from FocusAttack.com.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
But aren't the Sanwa stick hole diameters different along with the mounting holes? Would they line up without a custom mounting plate? Never bothered to check.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Are you referring to the jlw i mentioned or the jlf? The jlw is a direct replacement from my understanding, thats why focusattack is carrying them. As for the jlf, i havent done it but read that the jlw plate will fit the jlf. Or you can always fabricate one for cheap from spare metal, plexi, etc.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
You can swap a Sanwa out for a Seimitsu, but I have no idea about Happ sticks.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I have Happ competition sticks in my Big Red a little too rigid for my taste. So I went over to Paradise Arcade's online store and looked at some EU IL Sticks and they all say IL Euro Stick(aka Happ Competition). What the hell?

Pretty sure happ bought the mold/specs from IL, something like that.

They do loosen up a little after the spring breaks in. I personally like the IL sticks a lot... sanwas are acceptable but seem cheaper feeling to me. It's really preference though.

unofficialitguy, you can usually clean and reassemble your current sticks and replace the microswitches rather easily. My neo conversion cab I did this for a while, but replaced the sticks with IL's shortly after.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks for all the responses. I did an adjustment/cleaning of the sticks and it is more responsive now. If this is an ongoing issue, it sounds like a set of IL or sanwas might end up in my shopping cart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Are these the ones you have and are they a fair price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380777865896

My cab's sticks are pretty worn out and I was thinking of replacing them.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
Are these the ones you have and are they a fair price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380777865896

My cab's sticks are pretty worn out and I was thinking of replacing them.

Essentially yes.

I bought my IL sticks directly from http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/323-il-eurostick-joystick. I ordered 75 gram micro cherry switches from them as well. Skate recommended both of them to me in my thread and glad he did I like the feel and response from both. I recommend IL's you won't be disappointed.