Taito F3 VR1 reading

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I'm an idiot and assumed this was a volume control before just reading the fucking manual and learning volume is controlled in test mode. To make it worse I didn't mark the original spot it was set to.

Does anyone know exactly what chip(s) this pot controls voltage to and if/how I can check voltage readings in one of those spots?

If nothing else, anyone with an F3 motherboard willing to check VR1 with an ohm meter so I can get a ballpark reading? I have no clue what mine was set to before I fucked with it, and it's at about 100ohm now.

My board still works but I don't want to use it until I can verify this pot is set right.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If im not mistaken that pot controls the 5v across the whole board.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Thanks James. I'll be at work for a few more hours so no huge rush. A reading of the pot would probably be enough, but if you notice any chips that you know the pinout for to locate a 5v pin, or a point that I could check 5v that's on the far side of that pot (so to speak) that would be even better.

Seems odd in the day of adjustible power supplies to have something that regulates 5v that you're not supposed to mess with. I always make sure my voltages are good at the JAMMA edge and adjust at the PSU if necessary.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
163.5 ohm. I'm guessing it's for the sound op-amps.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Cool, I'll set mine to that and I won't sweat it unless anyone else has some insight. Thanks again.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
So James measured 163.5, I asked nate (who I bought the board from) to check his other and his was at about 200 ohms. I set mine to ~180 and played for about 20 minutes and it seems fine.

For what it's worth in case someone googles this in the future, I've now run the board for a few hours at least with VR1 set to about 180ohms, and have experienced no issues.

Last edited: