Art of Fighting Source Code Found

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
That's pretty cool, I wonder if anyone will try and modify the game using the source code.

RetroGiga68k

New Challenger
Thought some of you guys may find this interesting...

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=320783

This part was quite interesting:

The CD mastering software they used to make the PC-Engine version of Art of Fighting didn't zero out the CD image prior to writing data, and as a result big chunks of unused space from the hard drive of the computer being used were included in the CD image. The data consists of files that had been deleted in the past including many archives of backed-up source code from various projects.

[...]

The developer of port had the AOF source code as it was a literal line by line port of the original game, the Hu6280 source has the 68000 code in comments and the corresponding 6280 code beneath it.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Technically someone could make an entire new game which would be rad.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
this is fucking sick. who cares about AOF itself, I want to see the hard drive leftovers!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Maybe we'll get a nice surprise like Hot Coffee in GTA.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This awesome discovery could really help people learn to code for Neo Geo.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
His explanation of the "zero out" process is inaccurate. The remnant or slack data is there I'm sure, that's just not how the process works.

I'll download and play around with the image to see what can be recovered.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
His explanation of the "zero out" process is inaccurate. The remnant or slack data is there I'm sure, that's just not how the process works.

I'll download and play around with the image to see what can be recovered.

program us pong with Mr. Karate's head as the ball and two jacks as the paddles.

kthnx

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
this is WONDERFUL news. I never dared hoping that some neo-geo source code could have been found.

^^ this is HAPPY news

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Anyone that thinks they can make a buck from it.

Duh?

Plus the French. They're not too bright.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Art of Fighting is too good for the French, in comparison to their CPHD.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Plus the French.

He makes a good point.

Think of how many trees will have to die.... Tin-Tin statues will need to be sold off, refunds begged for like a french bitch.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
This is seriously cool. If these sorts of discoveries of random unexpected plaintext code in games is cool to you, you should check out http://tcrf.net if you haven't already.

Missile

Another Striker
This is a great discovery. Is it possible to get source code for any Neo Geo game by disassembling it? The code is there in binary form, and it must always be stored in the same place more or less. It wouldn't be all nice and commented but could you still get the program?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
This is a great discovery. Is it possible to get source code for any Neo Geo game by disassembling it? The code is there in binary form, and it must always be stored in the same place more or less. It wouldn't be all nice and commented but could you still get the program?

You can get assembly code from it, just not source code. Macros and stuff that is present in the original source may not be there.