My modest AES collection. I have a couple gems

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
You have decent games already.

You'll need to have some KOF "love" on that collection tho.

As for the nice serial, mine's even lower ^_______^'

G

greeneye8181

Thanks. Yeah I love the Last Blade and Samurai Shodown series. Not that familiar with KOF although have played it a handful of times. Which two KOF's would you recommend?

Haven't seen many serials lower than mine... what's yours?

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Nice collection start! I'm jelly you have SS4 and LB2. Starter KoFs, you can't really go wrong with any of the older titles. '98 is widely regarded as the staple title to own, But to jump in, '95, '96 and '97 are great starters!

Personally, '97 is my be-all-end-all, but that's just me! It varies from person to person.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
Nice collection you starting off with, and the best most popular of the KoF games are 98 & 2000.

G

greeneye8181

Thanks guys. I'll keep the KOF advice in mind among other titles I want to own.
I also want to purchase another AES eventually. A modded one with Unibios and upgraded video/audio output. I wouldn't want to mod mine because of the low serial number and it being an American AES.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Solid start to your collection, and that LB2 is an impressive piece.

As for KOFs, '96 and '97 get a lot of love from fans, and '98 and 2002 are widely played, especially in tournaments, because of their "dream match" nature - they have large casts with many characters from other KoF/SNK games.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Thanks. Yeah I love the Last Blade and Samurai Shodown series. Not that familiar with KOF although have played it a handful of times. Which two KOF's would you recommend?

Haven't seen many serials lower than mine... what's yours?

It's a JPN model 011829 5Volts unit. And I even had a much lower serial on a PAL system about a decade ago.
Can't remember it tho. It was on the 4 figures. something 006xxx.

As for 2P competitive ( fun ) play, I'd recommend obviously KOF98.
Any other from 94 to 2K are top notch in my book, being 99 my least favorite.
KOF96 has a harder execution learning curve than other KOFs, but it is an exceptional
title. It's hard to explain but it sweats SNK magic all over the place.

Up to you ;)

L

lamuna

Great collection! I would love to have the LB2...
By the way, I heard that early AES models sometimes have issues -- sound, graphics, etc. --
when playing those games with really high megs. Do you have any issues when playing SS4 or LB2??

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
By the way, I heard that early AES models sometimes have issues -- sound, graphics, etc. --
when playing those games with really high megs. Do you have any issues when playing SS4 or LB2??

That's bogus.

that only happens when you're not using the adequate PSU. At least for me.
Never had a single problem on high meg count games.

However, KOF94 has graphical glitches here and there and Samurai Shodown seems to have a little bit of
sound distortion. I used the right PSU and the issues were gone.

G

greeneye8181

My AES has the brown daughterboard where the memory card slot is. Supposedly when this was no longer installed in the consoles the video output quality was downgraded. Not sure when SNK stopped installing the daughterboards but only low serial numbered consoles had them. Any further info would be appreciated.

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
Good modest collection, greeneye.

Thanks for sharing!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Cool collection indeed, great choice of games (1-2 KOFs wouldn't hurt, maybe a FF title too). Good to see those sticks get some use and don't sit around as collection items only :) Have fun playing!

My AES has the brown daughterboard where the memory card slot is. Supposedly when this was no longer installed in the consoles the video output quality was downgraded. Not sure when SNK stopped installing the daughterboards but only low serial numbered consoles had them. Any further info would be appreciated.
Hm, this also depends on what video you are using - RGB, Composite, ... check out the AES portion of the Tutorials section on Jamma-Nation-X, good info to be had there ;)

G

greeneye8181

Cool collection indeed, great choice of games (1-2 KOFs wouldn't hurt, maybe a FF title too). Good to see those sticks get some use and don't sit around as collection items only :) Have fun playing!

Hm, this also depends on what video you are using - RGB, Composite, ... check out the AES portion of the Tutorials section on Jamma-Nation-X, good info to be had there ;)

Oh yeah. There are about 6 or 7 titles I have my eye on and a couple of the FF titles are on it (Garou and RB2).

Yup! I put the AES to good use. The console is almost immaculate but the sticks are a little banged up. Subtracts value but adds character!

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
SamSho 2 home cart! Yum! Definitely a keeper!

Other than that, nice start to the collection!

G

greeneye8181

Thanks guys. Since then my collection has grown to 16 games and I thoroughly cleaned the controllers

Metal Slug76

Cheng's Errand Boy
Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Nice little collection you got there, kept up the good work.