NGCD Toploader Controller Port

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I've got an NGCD Toploader, and it's got a controller port problem in the p1 port. After about 20 minutes of play, It'll start to fail intermittently. At first I thought it was my controller, but my AES tells me it's not. I want to fix it, but I'm not sure what exactly I'd be fixing. I've never opened this console before, so I don't really even know what to expect when I open it. That said;

-What should I be assessing, once I open?
-What should I be tinkering with?
-If the problem is something is simply loose what's the best way to fix it?

Does anyone by any chance have pics of a functional controller port in an opened NGCD toploader I could compare against?

TL;DR-

Modding nooblet thinks he knows what the problem is, is scared to open and possibly ruin his console, but really wants to fix. Halp.

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Try reflowing the solder joints on the controller port; all you need to do is heat them up with your soldering iron and add a little extra solder to strengthen the joints further.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Clean the pins in the port.

I gave this a try first, it being the easiest solution. It -did- buy me more play time, but eventually I got the same intermittent disconnect. Sometime this week, I'm gonna actually open it up and see if reflowing helps. That, I know I can do at the very least. If I'm still left with the same problem, I'm taking pics and hoping I can narrow down exactly what it is.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's intermittent then it is possibly a thermal issue if it happens after so much game play. If you open the console and lift the controller board you can check if any chips are very hot.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Normal AES stick! Rectangle version.

No extension cord between I assume?

If it works fine on the AES then it is something with the port on the NGCD. Is the 2nd player port fine or does it also have the same problem?

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I wasn't able to reproduce the issue with the 2p port. I gave both a cleaning and still had the 1p port problem. Then I took it apart last weekend, and had a look at it. I took Apolloboy's suggestion and gave the joints a reflow, as they didn't actually look quite as strong as the 2p port. The result seems to be that it was fixed! I got a solid hour and a half of perfect playtime, where before I would be getting my failure within 15 minutes.

Thanks EVERYONE for the help :)