My little collection

Mattitude

Mega Shock!!
It's been quite some time since I posted here as life happened to me and I've been out of it for some years. Back when I was somewhat active here, there was a local get together at a local arcade, that is no longer there, and I remember a Samurai Showdown 5 tournament there and that was the last time I met local Neo Geo connoisseurs. Not long after that I was deployed overseas and came home just short of in a body bag and I'm now disabled.

I bought a Dynamo cabinet that had a single slot MVS board with Metal Slug 3 in it from a local auction as my first arcade game and at the height of my collection I had 12 machines. After getting married, moving and having a family I had to sell just about everything but I kept my Neo Geo and a Virtua Fighter 4. I upgraded my single slot to a 6 slot and was happy for a few years...until the power supply for one reason or another got angry at me and self destructed and in the process gave my 6 slot board fits. It will power up but displays random garbage. I don't know what to do anymore, but if I don't figure something out then I'll have to liquidate my MVS carts and look for something else.

I bought a number of loose carts and some incomplete/mismatched kits from ebay back in the day when they were practically giving them away and I bought the "newer" kits right here from the Neo Store back when they were getting them new and would give away posters & marquees for free when buying the kits. The last ones that I picked up was the KoF 2002, SvC Chaos, Metal Slug 5 & Samurai Showdown 5 and the kits are all mint w/matching serials and even includes the English, Spanish & Japanese stickers & fliers. The posters came with the kits and I used to have them hanging in my game room.

All of the carts are legit except for the Metal Slug 4 that I got off ebay but it's still playable. I bought the shock boxes when they were getting made new and I printed the inserts off a web site that used to make custom inserts...I forgot the name of the site and I don't know if they are even around anymore. Some of the inserts are pretty cool, and some are even a little risqué. I bought extra shock boxes as I was hoping that my cart collection would grow, but I still have 9 extra empty boxes that I put inserts in just because I thought they looked cool.

I'm not much of a collector anymore but I still love my Neo Geo games and I hope that I can get a working board so that I can play some of my games again. I remember the first time that I saw a Neo Geo game in an arcade and that was back in 1991 at Lowery Air Force Base in Denver, Colorado. I played the crap out of Super Spy & Magician Lord and when I heard that they made a home system I just had to have one. That's a story for another day as this is a collector's gallery. I hope everyone enjoys!!

Last edited:

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Nice little collection going there. I really like the blue print MVS labels too.

dipindods

needs help. stuck in virgina.
sorry about your ups and downs. i hope everythings going better these days. u have a great start to a good collection. sweet posters im so jelly :)

Mattitude

Mega Shock!!
Thanks for the comment/compliment. I've had most of these carts since 2003 and I got the posters from the Neo Store when they were giving them away for free with MVS kits. I'm surprised that I still had them as I was going through the attic and found them along with a bunch of shock boxes in a beat up cardboard box.

sorry about your ups and downs. i hope everythings going better these days. u have a great start to a good collection. sweet posters im so jelly :)

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Thats quite the experience. Those are some solid titles and the posters are quite nice.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Nice start for a collection, good games in there! Don't sell any of this stuff, get yourself another board, I'm sure you can pick one up on these forums with little to no hassle if you wait a couple of weeks. Cool that you are back on here, even after all the shit you seem to have been through.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Great that you are back in the mix around here. Some good titles in there and some very sought after carts! All the best mate.

Mattitude

Mega Shock!!
Things are a bit different since I joined here in 2003, but the members are still good people. I was able to get some Christmas cash so I took a chance on a working 4-slot board...hopefully it'll be just as advertised. So what's the story on the multigame carts (161-in-1) are they crap or what and who makes them? They weren't available back in the day. What are people looking for these days, what's the coveted games?

xsq

fingers crossed for your new 4slot.

The 161-in-1 carts are basically multigame bootlegs. There are 94 "unaltered" boots on there (MOTW is a prerelease version though), the rest are hacks. Most of them work flawlessly, some have bugs, that stuff is discussed in detail here. Also most if not all of the PCBs of the 161s seem to not fit the cartridge slot all too well, being too thick or too wide. A game list as well as comparisons with other Multicarts is available on the Arcade Otaku Wiki, it misses a newer multicart (60-in-1) though. I think the multicarts are ok to check out games and see what you like, maybe also to substitute for rares and games you will never be able to afford... but at the end of the day they're still boots with a lot of issues. I have no idea who makes them but they come in from China.

As to what's coveted, that seems to change from time to time, but regarding MVS carts I'd say Samurai Shodown Zero Special ($450+) and Twinkle Star Sprites are topping the list, while Garou MOTW and Magician Lord are sought after but (kinda) affordable. Recently a lot of people appear to be looking for Windjammers. Also depends if you're going for bare cart or kits of course... I guess English Last Blade 2 kits are the priciest MVS stuff out there ($1980+). There was a thread about this not long ago.

Mattitude

Mega Shock!!
Thanks for the info on the multi-game carts...I believe I'll pass. The only experience I have with boots is my Metal Slug 4. It does work but sometimes it will lock up or reset in the middle of a game. It was advertised as original when I bought it from ebay and at the time I didn't know any better so providing my incoming 4-slot works I'll look for another MS4 cart so that I'll be able to actually enjoy the game from start to finish.

That's interesting the Magician Lord and Garou MotW are sought after as when I was here 10 years ago everyone had MotW and not many people wanted Magician Lord as it was considered primitive. I'm trying to do some reading here to catch up on what's going on and also to see who's still here from 10 years ago...but I really don't recognize the names so it looks like I need to make some new friends.

I've been to quite a few places (I lived in Germany & Japan for over 10 years combined and been deployed to the middle east many, many times) and seen probably more than I should have (I've seen just about every way a person can die...the worst is seeing dead kids) but I'm happy to still be among the living. I've had 13 surgeries and I need at least 2 more. Since I'm home all the time I'm getting back into my Neo Geo gaming so I'm happy to see this community is still alive. Now I just need to find another source to print out shock box inserts for my loose carts.

xsq

I haven't been around for long but what I've seen of this community is really great. People watch out for each other and lend a helping hand to those that prove to be decent guys. So it's a little tricky to get in and be trusted (not saying I am at all) but it's well worth it since there is a lot more going on than Neo gaming/collecting. If you want to get to know the regulars easy and have some spare time in the evenings, hit up the chat room on this site or the neo geo channel on slashnet, best way to join the club ;)

Don't have any shockboxes myself, but I do know Southtown have a vast database of inserts you can download or have them print up for you as well. Never read any complains about them, on the contrary.

Sure sounds like you have a lot of stories to tell and I'm sure people on here will be interested in them (me included of course). Maybe you should start a thread in Unrelated or post up in the Chek-in thread and tell us more. You will also reach more peps over there since not too many read the collection section regularly. I hope you're doing alright and the coming surgeries go as planned. Get well soon!

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
That Matrimlee flyer looks fantastic! Any chance for a really high res scan?

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
That's a great set you have. Nothing like those juicy NEO-GEO boxes to snap a shelf into pieces.

NeoGeoAddicted

Kuroko's Training Dummy
What a great start to a new collection. Love the Samurai Shodown AES/MVS set. Just missing the SS3...

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Bunch of great titles there - nice way to start out.

Mattitude

Mega Shock!!
Thanks for all the compliments! I just traded Super Spy for Sengoku and I actually found a Crossed Swords MVS inside one of the shock boxes, so that was a nice little surprise.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Don't suppose there's a chance of getting a hi-res image of that Samurai Spirits Zero poster is there?

Mattitude

Mega Shock!!
...I'll see what I can do, but because of it's size I just can't put it on my scanner like the Matrimelee flyer.

Don't suppose there's a chance of getting a hi-res image of that Samurai Spirits Zero poster is there?

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
...I'll see what I can do, but because of it's size I just can't put it on my scanner like the Matrimelee flyer.

You could do it in multiple scans (if not too much trouble) and then upload and he could photoshop it? Just a suggestion :)