PDA

View Full Version : Your XRGB-Mini settings?

Fox1
11-25-2013, 09:02 PM
I thought I would start a thread about sharing your XRGB-Mini settings. Namely ones for color, scanlines etc. I was happy using Meister mode until recently when I found out that it sometimes causes errors in games. Can any of you share your settings for:

PCBS
CPS2
CONSOLES
ETC

Would be very helpful!

kuze
11-25-2013, 10:45 PM
NeoGeo MVS - auto sync off, sync level 12, Meister mode, 720p 60 hz, default scan lines.

Everything else I'm happy with auto sync and Meister mode to be honest. Works fine and looks great on the PS1, SNES and mega drive.

shadowkn55
11-25-2013, 10:57 PM
For the Omega I used these settings on my friend's panasonic lcd.

Standard mode
Sync off
Sync level 19
480p

On the tv, I turned on game mode and turned off every setting that looks like it did image processing.

Teddy KGB
11-25-2013, 11:03 PM
For the Omega I used these settings on my friend's panasonic lcd.

Standard mode
Sync off
Sync level 19
480p

On the tv, I turned on game mode and turned off every setting that looks like it did image processing.

Also, if you're using scanlines, I've found I need to go to Visual_Set, V_Width and change it from 32 to 33. Otherwise, it'll double up on a couple of the scan lines vs. any other console I have running through the mini (everything else looks fine on 32).

shadowkn55
11-25-2013, 11:05 PM
Also, if you're using scanlines, I've found I need to go to Visual_Set, V_Width and change it from 32 to 33. Otherwise, it'll double up on a couple of the scan lines vs. any other console I have running through the mini (everything else looks fine on 32).

I did notice that using meister mode on his tv resulted in some of the scanlines being twice as thick. We both got tired of trying to figure it out and just went with standard mode. Looked great sitting on the couch even without the scanlines.

Teddy KGB
11-25-2013, 11:15 PM
I did notice that using meister mode on his tv resulted in some of the scanlines being twice as thick. We both got tired of trying to figure it out and just went with standard mode. Looked great sitting on the couch even without the scanlines.

Oh, and I mentioned this to you already but the component hook up from the Omega to the d-terminal/component dongle is hit or miss at best. The RGB Scart is a must. ;)

shadowkn55
11-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Oh, and I mentioned this to you already but the component hook up from the Omega to the d-terminal/component dongle is hit or miss at best. The RGB Scart is a must. ;)

I get similar dodgy results with other component devices as well. The xrgb's in general were designed with RGB in mind. Component seems like an after thought.

Joneo
11-25-2013, 11:33 PM
Just in case anyone else (like me) had been sleeping for a couple weeks, v.1.10 firmware (http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini_download.htm) was released. It adds zoom features (ie. those blue, red, green & yellow buttons do stuff now) and HDMI passthrough.

1080p scanlines are located correctly, but still too light for the full effect.

Teddy KGB
11-25-2013, 11:38 PM
Just in case anyone else (like me) had been sleeping for a couple weeks, v.1.10 firmware (http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/xrgb-mini_download.htm) was released. It adds zoom features (ie. those blue, red, green & yellow buttons do stuff now) and HDMI passthrough.

1080p scanlines are located correctly, but still too light for the full effect.

Good to know about the firmware update. Been waiting for that HDMI pass through.

shadowkn55
11-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Is the firmware update in english?

Joneo
11-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Is the firmware update in english?

Yep, both the Japanese and English version (http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/XRGBminiV1.10E.zip) are available on that page as well as this post. ;)

GohanX
11-26-2013, 10:19 AM
By the way, the new firmware has an option for "HDMI DIRECT" for those of us hooking newer systems to the thing. What this does is simply pass through an unaltered HDMI signal if you don't want any processing, previously HDMI looked like crap. I do this for the Wii U, as I like setting the system for 480p with scanlines for Virtual Console stuff and using no processing for regular HD stuff.

Teddy KGB
11-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Yep, both the Japanese and English version (http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/XRGBminiV1.10E.zip) are available on that page as well as this post. ;)

Sweet, I'm all updated. Thanks again for calling the update out.

kuze
11-30-2013, 09:53 PM

Great tip, those two "double" scanlines were a bother in some games. Setting the v width to 33 completely corrects it for the neo geo.

Yodd
11-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Great tip, those two "double" scanlines were a bother in some games. Setting the v width to 33 completely corrects it for the neo geo.

I still don't understand why Micomsoft hasn't added the ability to have profiles. Those colored buttons at the bottom of the remote would have been perfect for 4 different profiles. That way instead of going in and making time consuming adjustments for different situations, you can just press a button and you are good to go.

Instead we get useless zoom features.
:oh_no:

Fox1
11-30-2013, 11:22 PM
You know what I don't understand. Why doesn't the XRGB have a tate mode where it flips the image? It can't be that hard...

kuze
11-30-2013, 11:45 PM
I still don't understand why Micomsoft hasn't added the ability to have profiles. Those colored buttons at the bottom of the remote would have been perfect for 4 different profiles. That way instead of going in and making time consuming adjustments for different situations, you can just press a button and you are good to go.

Instead we get useless zoom features.
:oh_no:

Agreed, I'd rather see profiles support than the new zoom feature. I haven't bothered updating from
1.08 yet but I might next time I bust out the mega drive. So far it's the only system I could see the zoom feature coming in handy.

GohanX
12-01-2013, 12:46 AM
Speaking of which, if someone finds some good settings for the zoom feature with the Megadrive/Genesis please post them. I couldn't figure out any setting that I liked that had good scanlines, so I left the zoom off. I don't care about the zoom itself, but cutting off the solid border around most games would be great.

K-2
12-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Anybody try using a HDPVR with the Framemeister?

I have some old home movies on 8mm that I can output in S-video to the framemeister and I'm looking to burn them to DVD for a Xmas present. I'm thinking the HDMI out on the XRGB Mini into something like a Hauppage might work, but not sure. Also if anybody knows what the best setting on the Mini would be for an application like 8mm camcorder tapes that would be sweet as well.

K-2
12-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Did a test with XRGB-Mini running on Meister mode through a Hauppage HD PVR Rocket. Looks pretty good full screen at 720p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MSJ84qtKE8

Teddy KGB
12-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Looks great! I found 720p out looks just about the best too. I know I've mentioned it in a couple other threads and you probably already know this, but the review here was a ton of help when I first purchased my mini. http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/framemeister.html

K-2
12-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Couple of noobish questions:

I'm using the Mini to upscale old 8mm home movies and at certain moments the Meister loses picture and goes black for about 5 seconds then comes back on. Any idea of a setting that would prevent that? It seems to independent of takes in the homevideo so I'm kind of stumped.

I'm running FW 1.08, I downloaded the new one above (1.1), but which file out of it all do I put on the micro sd to update the Mini? In other words, what are the steps to updating the XRGB firmware?

Joneo
12-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Assuming it's not video drop-out in your tapes, the FrameMeister may be losing sync.

Try: (Menu button) Visual_Set -> Sync_Level (last option at very bottom).

Bump it up a notch and play back through to see if it helps.

Couple of noobish questions:

I'm using the Mini to upscale old 8mm home movies and at certain moments the Meister loses picture and goes black for about 5 seconds then comes back on. Any idea of a setting that would prevent that? It seems to independent of takes in the homevideo so I'm kind of stumped.

I'm running FW 1.08, I downloaded the new one above (1.1), but which file out of it all do I put on the micro sd to update the Mini? In other words, what are the steps to updating the XRGB firmware?

K-2
12-22-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm getting to the synch level option, but it's not letting me adjust it. ugh

Yodd
12-22-2013, 05:41 PM

The sync level can only be adjusted for the RGB input.

It can't be adjust for composite or svideo input. Not sure about the component/DTerminal inputs.

Joneo
12-22-2013, 05:41 PM
[edit] broken beat me to it. Sorry, forgot about that. Maybe a Time Base Corrector would help at that rate.

K-2
12-22-2013, 05:47 PM
boo. So do you think I could fool it by going into a rgb source and switching back to the svideo, or will it not make a difference?

I'm thinking about going to the store and getting a composite to usb capture dongle and being done with it, Xmas is looming and I've got 10 hours of tapes to get through lol.

Edit: That was a stupid question, I just went ahead and did it. It seems to be playing through now. It was set at 9 and I put it up to 12.

Edit 2: Nevermind, It's still messing up.

Ninjainspandex
02-04-2014, 09:29 PM
So I was just trying to play Castlevania Symphony of the night on my Saturn via scart and everytime I press the button for the map it seems to lose signal for a few seconds and when I leave the map screen it does it again for like 5 seconds. It makes it very frustrating to play, anyone know of this issue and hopefully a fix?

Yodd
02-04-2014, 09:47 PM
Adjust the sync level up a couple notches.

DangerousK
03-21-2014, 07:40 AM
I've had an issue only with the Wii U where when I turn the Wii U on via HDMI, and switch over to that input, the Mini can't pick up the signal from the Wii U. Shows static instead...after fiddling a bit by jumping around inputs I can eventually get the signal. I've had it happen with both HDMI inputs, but the Wii U is the only HDMI system I have this issue with. PS3 and PS4 have never had this problem. Plugging directly into the TV also does not have this problem. Sync issue?

Yodd
03-21-2014, 08:12 AM
I think the sync adjustment only applies to the RGB input.

No sure about the HDMI input issue.

Teddy KGB
03-21-2014, 12:17 PM
If you haven't already, upgrade to the latest firmware which has a fix for allowing true HDMI pass-through... unless you're wanting to scanline your Wii games or something. ;)

DangerousK
03-21-2014, 05:44 PM
If you haven't already, upgrade to the latest firmware which has a fix for allowing true HDMI pass-through... unless you're wanting to scanline your Wii games or something. ;)

Thanks pal, I will have to upgrade later.

GohanX
03-21-2014, 08:52 PM
I've always had my U connected through the mini and never had those issues, but I've got the latest firmware which seemed to fix a lot of the hdmi silliness.

And Teddy, scanlines are awesome for the vc games and emulators. The only thing is you have to switch the u to 480p first.

sammargh
04-01-2014, 12:59 AM
240p RGB consoles:
meister mode (I like scanlines)
32 H_WIDTH
32 V_WIDTH
9 Sync level
720p output

Omega CMVS:
meister mode
33 H_WIDTH
33 V_WIDTH
720p output
For some reason MVS syncs to 241p on my XRGB mini so by upping both those numbers by 1 it fixes the weird scanline issue where they don't appear uniform.

480p sources:
1080p output
Smart X2
Standard

You lose the scanlines but by going to 1080p you're able to mathematically scale a 480p image better which nets a far better result using the x2 output.

mainman
04-01-2014, 04:09 AM
Dear god I need one of these. I hooked up my saturn, psone, ps2 to my HD TV and the pictures looked like shit.

Nickrb
04-25-2014, 05:15 PM

Necrobump. Found this very helpful today. Also, thanks shadow for the quick delivery on the scart cable.

K-2
05-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Thought I would share this here: Viletim's NES-Rgb board in Meister mode
http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s603/K2THELEGEND/Mobile%20Uploads/f6b787fe-0110-4626-af94-29f07c723de5_zps72e66a2d.jpg

{edit} I'm pretty sure even with the cost of the xrgb mini this was still cheaper than the NT.

kahel
05-06-2014, 08:58 AM
So I was just trying to play Castlevania Symphony of the night on my Saturn via scart and everytime I press the button for the map it seems to lose signal for a few seconds and when I leave the map screen it does it again for like 5 seconds. It makes it very frustrating to play, anyone know of this issue and hopefully a fix?

I get the same problem and i think it because the main inventory screen is in 480i and the rest is in 240p . The framemeister does a signal drop when the signal changes and it detecting what the new signal is. Very annoying.

GohanX
05-06-2014, 09:28 AM
Yeah, several Saturn games do that when it switches resolution. Very annoying.

barrow
05-08-2014, 08:35 AM
I'm an asshole.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to get the sync level correct for my Omega. The absolute best picture I could get still had some flickering. Just when I was about to give up last night and accept that it's the best I'll achieve I decided to try out another TV in my house...PERFECT SYNC.

Just wanted to post this cautionary tale for someone else who might have the same issue, I know I searched around for people with similar sync issues. Not sure what processing on that TV could be causing the issue (it's already set to game mode). Doesn't matter though as I only had it hooked up there for some quick testing, the main panel I'd use is the one that does sync up perfectly.

venchia3
05-18-2014, 03:54 PM
I'm an asshole.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to get the sync level correct for my Omega. The absolute best picture I could get still had some flickering. Just when I was about to give up last night and accept that it's the best I'll achieve I decided to try out another TV in my house...PERFECT SYNC.

Just wanted to post this cautionary tale for someone else who might have the same issue, I know I searched around for people with similar sync issues. Not sure what processing on that TV could be causing the issue (it's already set to game mode). Doesn't matter though as I only had it hooked up there for some quick testing, the main panel I'd use is the one that does sync up perfectly.

I'm an asshole too! I was having the same problems with an LG HDTV + Omega CMVS (I mean random flickering and even sometimes lose of sync), when I read your post I moved the only other TV I have in my home, a tiny 19 inch Panasonic HDTV, and played for a couple of hours without issues :)

Time to buy a new HDTV set :) As for my settings with the Omega:

Zoom Setting: Normal 2 (to preserve the source's pixel ratio)
Processing mode: Picture (probably the best for 240p signals)
Brightness: 20
A/D level: 140
Sync: ON (to avoid the stutter and lock the Omega to the native 59.18hz refresh rate)
Sync level: 19
720p60

nicksbrain
06-28-2014, 04:05 PM
NEcrobumpers in da house!
=>THANKS for the tip with 32 on the Scanlines, interestingly, I had that problem only with the AI CMVS, not the AES with the same settings....

Any option to get rid of the border around the picture? Zoom didn't work too well for me...

XC-3730C
06-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Slightly off topic, but is anyone here using one of these with a CRT display and can comment on the quality of video?

Kid Panda
06-28-2014, 07:39 PM
Slightly off topic, but is anyone here using one of these with a CRT display and can comment on the quality of video?

I'm curious, why would you hook this up to a CRT? The whole purpose of this product is to emulate what it would look like on a CRT.

GohanX
06-28-2014, 08:05 PM
I've never seen a crt with hdmi.

XC-3730C
06-28-2014, 08:19 PM
@Kid Panda,

I am still not convinced this device will make any source look as good as a true RGB CRT monitor.

@GothanX,

Some Sony CRT WEGA's/XBR's have DVI so you could conceivably use an HDMI to DVI cable.

Fox1
06-28-2014, 10:19 PM
@Kid Panda,

I am still not convinced this device will make any source look as good as a true RGB CRT monitor.

@GothanX,

Some Sony CRT WEGA's/XBR's have DVI so you could conceivably use an HDMI to DVI cable.

Only way to see for yourself is to buy one or borrow one.

GohanX
06-28-2014, 11:55 PM
I am still not convinced this device will make any source look as good as a true RGB CRT monitor

It doesn't, and I don't think anyone it's saying it is, but it's the next best thing.

ChiefofSB
06-29-2014, 12:43 AM
I've never seen a crt with hdmi.

I have a Sony Trinitron with HDMI, I think it was the last model of their CRT TV's.
I also have another Trinitron that looks similar to it but no HDMI, maybe came out a few years before, but both looks about the same picture wise.
I wondered what the games would look like upscaled to HD on those things but i have the big boys and don't care to move them but i bet they would look top notch.

BerryTogart
09-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Necrobump to prevent xsq hitting me with the search hammer.

I finally got my XRGB mini in today and to be honest I defenitely feel an increase in image quality from "no scaler and just use the TV in game mode" to "XRGB mini between the cmvs and tv" but there are still some things that puzzle me:
(prequesites: XRGB Mini updated to the latest Firmware Version, CMVS RGB/Sync/Ground/AudioLeft/AudioRight cinch to Mini-8-pin)

Many of you mentioned manually setting the sync and turning Auto sync off.
I can do that and I don't recognize much difference between Auto and 8 - when I go higher than 10 the image vanishes and only flickers and reappears from time to time - I checked the wiki but I'm still not sure what this sync setting actually DOES.

My Settings are meister mode, Output hdmi 1080p - did set my sony Bravia to game mode and turned off every setting that was available.
Looks quite good - image does not fully fill the screen at top and bottom though - but I'm reluctant to Change that due to the aspect ratio. (you see that better in AOF but I didn't have an image of that, it's not much just enough to recognize it)

GohanX
09-30-2014, 04:11 PM
Sync basically works or it doesn't. If he image isn't bouncing, or totally missing, leave it.

Meister mode is garbage, it uses filtering which is unnecessary unless you have a noisy source. Use "Picture" or "Natural" settings instead for 240p sources. With newer firmwares you can add scanlines seperately.

Also, if you want to use scanlines set it to 720p output instead of 1080p, the scanlines are much better. If you leave scanlines off, 1080p will give the sharper image.

Slight letterboxing at the top and bottom is normal. It varies a bit from system to system.

GohanX
09-30-2014, 04:12 PM
Oh and buy this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XRGB-Mini-Framemeister-English-Remote-Translation-Overlay-/231052088477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cbc7149d

BerryTogart
09-30-2014, 04:45 PM
Thank you, i will give those settings a try

kahel
09-30-2014, 05:28 PM
I learned lately that the SYNC_LEVEL still has an effect no matter if auto sync is on or not. I was playing some cps2 and i set the sync to 4 but my snes with a sync on composite cable needs a level of 20 even with auto sync on. With raw sync cables the level does not matter on auto.

It was confusing because i usually use raw sync cables with my snes and never touch the sync level . sync is such a vast subject and i still have alot to learn .

kahel
09-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Btw V WIDTH of 33 with neo geo , it removes those 2 weird line when you use scanline.

KRiSX
09-30-2014, 07:17 PM
running mine at 720p w/ scanlines... looks incredible on the omega... picked up on the v_width tip on here which is great

pretty sure i have mine in picture mode or standard all the time, i wanna say there isn't really much difference?

what scanline settings do people recommend? i think i've got mine where i want them (would have to check what they are to tell you) but always good to see what preferences people have

Joneo
09-30-2014, 07:45 PM
what scanline settings do people recommend? i think i've got mine where i want them (would have to check what they are to tell you) but always good to see what preferences people have

@720p, I like the default setting of 80. Lower starts getting too dark, higher and the effect doesn't look as natural.

@1080p, I do SCAN_B_EVEN = 80 & SCAN_B_ODD = 100. Since odd lines appear to be 2 pixels high, this lightens them relative to the evens making things look about as balanced as possible without waiting for MicomSoft to fix the issue. :annoyed:

:)

GohanX
09-30-2014, 11:03 PM
I set my scanlines to 80 as well.

Archdesigner03
10-02-2014, 02:44 AM
Oh and buy this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XRGB-Mini-Framemeister-English-Remote-Translation-Overlay-/231052088477?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cbc7149d

I bought the same overlay from this guy, but the sticker turned from gray to pink in a couple of week. Weird. Did anybody else have this problem?

KRiSX
10-02-2014, 06:40 AM
I bought the same overlay from this guy, but the sticker turned from gray to pink in a couple of week. Weird. Did anybody else have this problem?

didn't have that problem, was definitely from him too

also unrelated to your question... it seems i've settled on 70 for my scanlines... so i wasn't too far of a few of you

robot
10-02-2014, 11:49 AM
@720p, I like the default setting of 80. Lower starts getting too dark, higher and the effect doesn't look as natural.

@1080p, I do SCAN_B_EVEN = 80 & SCAN_B_ODD = 100. Since odd lines appear to be 2 pixels high, this lightens them relative to the evens making things look about as balanced as possible without waiting for MicomSoft to fix the issue. :annoyed:

:)

I've been using meister mode but will def need to try this.

GohanX
10-02-2014, 12:24 PM
I've had my remote overlay for a year now, still looks new. You might contact the seller, or just buy another one, they are cheap enough.

everten
01-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Just got my XRGB mini and connected it last night, updated to latest english firmware version 1.11 - http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/XRGBminiV1.11E.zip

Why do they lock you out of certain color settings like saturation when using RGB? I had to tweak the gamma, brightness, and black levels to stop colors from looking washed out. This could also be a problem with the TV (Vizio E370VA), but overall the picture quality coming from the xrgb is amazing.

bloodhokuto
04-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Hope no one minds if I post my findings after getting an XRGB Mini. I posted this at Shmups, but anyway;

Thought I would post my experience re compatibility / synch problems;

I bought my cables from retrogamingcables.co.uk (http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/micomsoft-xrgb.html).

One was the basic replacement for Euroscart (STD).
The other was the one with the built in passive Synch Stripper (SS).

Device;___________STD___SS

RGB Saturn:________Y_____N
RGB (ext) PC Engine:_Y_____Y
RGB Neo Geo (HCS):_Y_____N
RGB Sigma AV5000:__N____Y Picture stable only at Synch level 26 (auto synch off)

As you will see it seems only my supergun required the stripper cable, and even then I had to fiddle around to find the best synch level.

The saturn would not generate a valid signal at all using the SS cable, but my external modded Core Grafx (via the expansion port with amp) seemed produce a good result on either, although I think the picture was better with the basic cable.

Given that it seems my supergun RGB requires an SS, I wondered if I would get a better result through a powered SS cable (that has a daisy chained +5v from the PSU). With that said, after a bit of tweaking it seems to work fine with the passive one.

I want to try a few more pcbs with the supergun (my MVS mobo and CPS3 in particular), to see if I get any variances. Also, when I first tried the supergun two days ago I couldn't get a stable picture at all, although I suspect that I was at 24 or the top setting 30, both of which cause the picture to bounce.

Joneo
05-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Just a heads-up for fellow Framemeister aficionados; Firmware 2.0 (http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/XRGBminiV2.00E.zip) was released since the last post to this thread (April 20th).

New stuff:
* Reorganizing the OSD menu making access to items (such as resolution changes) more direct.
* Configuration presets can now be saved to micro SD card
* A "cellophane" (titled Overlay) mode added to simulate screen overlays for systems which had black & white graphics
* Adjacent scanlines can be"smoothed" (by altering brightness) to further tweak the look (though 1080P remains stuck with alternating 1 & 2 pixel thick lines :hammer: )
* Time to re-search for a signal can be adjusted (to minimize screen black-outs when switching inputs, for example)
* And a few other bits.

It seems odd that effort was put into refining scanlines, yet the longstanding 1080p scanline issue wasn't corrected. I found I liked "DEC_LINE 1" @ 75 & "DEC_LINE 2" @ 90 for a decent balance (if 720p doesn't do it for you).

rodolfocm
06-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Just received my XRGB Mini! Still waiting for my RGB cable, so I was able to test it only with composite cable. I already notice a good gain in image quality, specially with scanlines enabled. But can't wait to test it with SCART!
Now, a question: does the XRGB come with a micro-SD card? I have read somewhere that it comes with a 512mb one, but I couldn't find it in the box.

PSICODROMO
06-03-2015, 03:15 AM
mine came with a micro-SD card

kahel
06-03-2015, 06:20 AM
Mine did not have a sd card with it. I just bought a 4gb and it worked.

Dinodoedoe
06-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Mine did not come with a mini sd card.

I had to buy new RGB cables for my SNES and Saturn, from retro_console_accessories on ebay, because the ones I been using for years weren't registering in my the Framemeister. The Saturn looks gorgeous but it looks like my SNES model is the ones with super weak RGB signals. So for now, I'm using my Super Famicom with a cart adapter and I couldn't be happier.

I was a bit worried because my CMVS looked like a hot trash with terrible garbled out of sync video signal. I'm glad I found this tread, because my Neo-Geo has never looked so good on my aging HDTV.

rodolfocm
06-04-2015, 03:44 PM
So looks like the micro SD was a kind od bonus for some people, lol
anyway im so anxious for my rgb cables to arrive!

rodolfocm
06-16-2015, 01:53 PM
I just bought a Mega Drive (Sega Genesis) in Brazil, it outputs PAL-M video but everything else is just like a north-american Genesis. I hooked it to my XRGB Mini using the composite cable (I'm still waiting for my SCART cable to arrive). But for some reason, it won't display colors. Everything is in black and white. Anyone know how to fix this? I didn't find an option on the XRGB Mini menu to change it. Firmware is the last one (2.0).
Thanks a lot!

greedostick
06-21-2015, 11:38 PM
kind of a long shot, but has anyone hooked up a legacy PC with this thing? I have a legacy Windows 98SE rig, VGA of course, and am curious if there is any way to get this hooked up on my LCD with the XRGB Mini. I would love to chuck my old monitor and just use my flat screen.

Joneo
06-21-2015, 11:47 PM
kind of a long shot, but has anyone hooked up a legacy PC with this thing? I have a legacy Windows 98SE rig, VGA of course, and am curious if there is any way to get this hooked up on my LCD with the XRGB Mini. I would love to chuck my old monitor and just use my flat screen.

I use one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Converter-Adapter-Extension-Included/dp/B00EV6AARC/) for VGA to HDMI. If you want to use a Framemeister, you'll likely need a sync combiner for your PC's VGA out so you can feed the Framemeister a single composite sync (no separate H/V ins for the mini). This seems like overkill to me given the simplicity of the first option.

Fox1
06-22-2015, 12:37 AM

You might want to use an XPC-4 for this.

greedostick
06-22-2015, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I might try the adapter first since it's cheap.

OK, I just got my XRGB Mini last night so I am kind of a dumb ass. I need some help. Need suggestions regarding the following.

1. PC Engine Duo R via Euro RGB - I have horizontal white lines, they just sit in the same position.

2. Xian Xi Supergun via component - whats good for mvs?

Dinodoedoe
06-25-2015, 11:18 AM
You need to use RGB for MVS. The component input on the Framemeister is not very good.

soupbones
07-26-2015, 02:00 PM
I just hooked up my modded MVS Neo Geo to my XRGB Mini for the first time using RGB (it was previously S Video) and the result isn't good. Any scene with light or white color is super blown out. Some screens look fine (like the drug warning, or other darker color screens), but the minute bright colors are introduced, it looks terrible (see below).

Any ideas? I tried a couple of different RGB cables and got the same result. My other consoles (Saturn, DC, Genesis) look great thru the Framemeister.

I also messed around with the color settings on the XRGB, but that does not seem to be the issue at all.

zaneiken
07-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Do you have 75 ohm resistors on your RGB lines (either in the cable or in the MVS somewhere)?

soupbones
07-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Do you have 75 ohm resistors on your RGB lines (either in the cable or in the MVS somewhere)?

I actually don't know - I bought the cables here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201274671910

Is there anyway I can tell by looking at the cables?

aoiddr
07-28-2015, 12:20 PM
I actually don't know - I bought the cables here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201274671910

Is there anyway I can tell by looking at the cables?

You can tell by unscrewing scart cable part, and taking off the plastic shell cover. If the wires are just connected to the pins, then they probably don't have resistors on them.

I'd ask the seller about it and include the screen shot you posted. I mean, the cable works. But it is as zaneiken said, you do need 75 ohm resistors the R, G, B lines since it's coming from a Jamma signal (either on the cable or on the console's output somewhere). Maybe they can add them to the cable for you, if needed?

GohanX
07-28-2015, 02:58 PM
That cable shouldn't have resistors on them, as they aren't needed on a home system. The proper way of building a CMVS that uses standard home system cables would be to put the resistors on the inside of the system.

GohanX
07-28-2015, 03:00 PM
In the meantime, since you're using a mini, go into the A/D setting and turn it down to 90 or 100 or so to see if that helps. It's not perfect but should look a lot better. Don't forget to turn it back up if connecting another system or everything will be too dark.

phoenixdownita
07-29-2015, 12:47 AM
Anyone cares to share the settings for an AES 3-5 over XRGB mini 2.0a FW, scart cable composite sync?

GohanX
07-29-2015, 03:50 PM
It all depends on your TV. There are no "right" settings.

phoenixdownita
08-01-2015, 09:20 PM
Turns out I needed to turn Auto Sync Off.

http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/XRGB-mini_FRAMEMEISTER#Sync_Mode

I have now some amount of stuttering mostly notable when the whole screen moves fast (mostly intros do that), but all in all I am satisfied.

greedostick
08-02-2015, 03:05 AM
Not related, but I learned if you play with the resolution it can fix the white bars you see when looking at light colored areas like large areas of grass.

Gummy Bear
08-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Anyone know what the options/power_set does before I do a bad thing?

Gummy Bear
08-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Ah I see...
It makes it so you can't turn it off.
Useful option, that..

Archdesigner03
10-04-2015, 11:47 PM
I just found out the framemeister rolled out firmware update 2.00. The most useful thing about this update is being able to save custom profiles for each system. However, I can't seem to get it to work. My main issue with the framemeister is the way scan lines look on the omega vs the rest of the consoles. The omega requires me to go change the v_width in order to display the scanlines properly in 720p, and change it back when I switch to other systems. This is rather cumbersome to say the least. I thought the firmware 2.00 update allows me to save profiles but after saving my custom profile for omega and other systems, it doesn't seems to load or have any effect at all. Any body else have problems with the save profile function?

Luciano
10-05-2015, 05:00 AM
Works fine for me. Did you choose the correct output when loading (RGB/Hdmi/...)?

Reclaimer
10-05-2015, 09:19 AM
I just found out the framemeister rolled out firmware update 2.00. The most useful thing about this update is being able to save custom profiles for each system.

Nice! Sounds like I'll need to update soon then. Constantly going into settings to adjust for each console when you want to play it is the most annoying thing about the Framemeister. Per system profiles for the win!

Reaperman
10-10-2015, 08:46 PM
I'm having some trouble with psone and my current TV through the framemeister with scart.
The TV is hunting for signal (blank screen) for lengthy periods during menu and loading transitions because it seems that the framemeister is cutting signal at these times.

Firmware is 2.0, and I can't recall if prior firmwares also did this.

I noticed there is a sync time setting (3/10/100) that seems to have a little positive impact on the hunting time at 100, however I haven't managed to digest all the rest of the settings. Has anybody else seen this issue, and is there any helping it? Is it the cable, version of the system, some framemeister setting--or is this just what ps1 is going to do?

zaneiken
10-12-2015, 12:17 AM
Has anybody else seen this issue, and is there any helping it? Is it the cable, version of the system, some framemeister setting--or is this just what ps1 is going to do?

Does it do this for all PSone games? I imagine it's because the game is switching between 240p/480i for gameplay/menus. Every time it changes, the Framemeister has to go through the HDMI handshake process again.

greedostick
10-12-2015, 01:28 AM
Does it do this for all PSone games? I imagine it's because the game is switching between 240p/480i for gameplay/menus. Every time it changes, the Framemeister has to go through the HDMI handshake process again.

I would like to know this, as the playstation RGB cables are the last I need. Does the PS2 have these issues as well?

GohanX
10-12-2015, 10:21 AM
If playing PS1 games, yes. PS2 games stick to 480i with the exception of MMX Collection.

Reaperman
10-12-2015, 12:11 PM
It sounds likely that's what's going on. I don't play much ps1, but the two games I tried (gt2 and colony wars 2) did it pretty badly. Often the screen wasn't locked in before the race started in gt2 and I got into the habit of using the attached monitor for menus as I could mostly get through them by the time the tv locked in. I'll try it on some other games later.

Assuming it's a change in output from the system, why is the framemeister dropping its own signal to my tv while this is going on? I think I vaguely recall seeing the blue framemeister screen trying to figure out signals in previous firmwares, now it's my TV doing the hunting.

everten
10-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Has anyone connected the xrgb to a computer lcd monitor that has HDMI input? I tried to connect it to a monitor without HDMI using an HDMI -> DVI cable and was having issues. The screen would cut out randomly as if there were sync issues and there was blue pixel fuzz artifacts all over the place.

Update: I think the DVI connector on the monitor was shot. I tried another monitor and it is working fine.

Scott
12-08-2015, 12:19 AM
Just got my X-RGB mini and wanted to share my thoughts. This thing is freaking some kind of sorcery. I'm playing on a 720p native set and the picture with scanlines rivals that of an RGB monitor (imo). As far as settings, the only thing that needed adjustment was the Sync level for MVS. I had to set it to 10 because the default value of 9 went haywire. V-Width of 33 as opposed to 32 as well to fix the scanlines. Auto-Sync for all consoles...no problems. The only thing I don't like is that the scanlines seem to be of varying brightness. On bright backgrounds, its especially noticeable when the screen moves. Not sure if there's a way to fix that. The only other thing I don't like is that the picture isn't as fluid as a CRT, movement-wise. I don't know if its the ghosting from the LCD, but games just don't feel or look quite as fluid. I wonder if a Plasma set or one of those 120Hz sets would make a difference.

Jibbajaba
12-08-2015, 02:20 PM
I use one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Converter-Adapter-Extension-Included/dp/B00EV6AARC/) for VGA to HDMI. If you want to use a Framemeister, you'll likely need a sync combiner for your PC's VGA out so you can feed the Framemeister a single composite sync (no separate H/V ins for the mini). This seems like overkill to me given the simplicity of the first option.

I know this is an old post, but what resolutions does that thing accept as input? Could you use it with an old DOS machine? I have been looking for a way to capture old DOS gaming footage without having to use emulation...

GohanX
12-08-2015, 02:51 PM
The mini can take VGA input from the RGB input as long as the sync is combined. Works great with the Atomiswave at either resolution since it just has composite sync anyway, and the Dreamcast works great if you use a sync combiner. I'd imagine with a sync combining device it would take anything pretty much.

Jibbajaba
12-08-2015, 10:11 PM
So I would just need something that took the VGA's hsync and vsync and put it back together, and I could run it through the mini, you think? So the mini doesn't require a 15khz signal, then? VGA starts at 31 khz...

Hmm. If it worked, that would be a better option than the VGA to HDMI deal because it doesn't upscale.

GohanX
12-08-2015, 11:31 PM
It works for the Dreamcast, either in 15khz or 31 khz modes.

greedostick
02-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Question.

Testing an AES in component on XRGB. All the colors are saturated to the max (50). Is there a way to adjust colors using component on xrgb? When I go to "menu ==> colors ==> blue -- it is set at max, and I can not lower the saturation. Maybe there is another way I am not familiar with when using component.

GohanX
02-22-2016, 07:34 PM
Don't use component, it's terrible.

greedostick
02-22-2016, 07:50 PM
Don't use component, it's terrible.

Yeah I know that, but the console was having that black and white issue, so it was for troubleshooting purposes. RGB cables are on the way.

Does that mean there is no way?

GohanX
02-22-2016, 08:22 PM
I think the rgb levels only work in rgb mode. You may want to play with the brightness and gamma, if those are off the colors will look washed out.

Scott
02-25-2016, 05:10 PM
I think the rgb levels only work in rgb mode. You may want to play with the brightness and gamma, if those are off the colors will look washed out.

This is correct. There are certain settings that only work if you're using RGB. Sync level is another one. Unfortunately, this is a setting that needs to be adjusted for certain TVs. You can still set either Auto Sync or "Off" for the sync, but you can't adjust the level if you are using something like S-video.

F4U57
02-25-2016, 06:51 PM
I'm having a problem with my PAL SNES not displaying picture or sound. Not too sure what it is. I'm using a cable I bought from Retro Console Accessories, it's a PAL cable with CSync. On certain games, it will boot fine; Super Mario World, Tetris & Dr. Mario, and on others it won't. If it doesn't boot a game, then it will not boot any other game after that unless I restart the XRGB.

I haven't done a lot of troubleshooting but damn, it's frustrating. For the record I'm running through a Hama AV 100S with a PC Engine attached as well and the NEC has no issues at all.

I'm still new to the whole RGB / XRGB setup so I'm not sure what could be the problem.

myblackamex
05-01-2016, 05:13 PM
I'm having a problem with my PAL SNES not displaying picture or sound. Not too sure what it is. I'm using a cable I bought from Retro Console Accessories, it's a PAL cable with CSync. On certain games, it will boot fine; Super Mario World, Tetris & Dr. Mario, and on others it won't. If it doesn't boot a game, then it will not boot any other game after that unless I restart the XRGB.

I haven't done a lot of troubleshooting but damn, it's frustrating. For the record I'm running through a Hama AV 100S with a PC Engine attached as well and the NEC has no issues at all.

I'm still new to the whole RGB / XRGB setup so I'm not sure what could be the problem.

I had a simliar problem with my XRGB and had to pull the power out of the XRGB wait a minute and it came back with no issues. I am not sure if its a glitch or not

pixeljunkie
11-03-2017, 01:53 PM
bump - I updated the FW on my Framemeister and I do not like how things look. I tried Firebrands Neo Geo profiles and the scanlines are all outta whack. I'm on a 1080p TV using 1080 profiles, yadda yadda

Who here has the latest FW and what settings are you digging?

pva
11-03-2017, 03:38 PM
bump - I updated the FW on my Framemeister and I do not like how things look. I tried Firebrands Neo Geo profiles and the scanlines are all outta whack. I'm on a 1080p TV using 1080 profiles, yadda yadda

Who here has the latest FW and what settings are you digging?

Are you using the 4x (39NEO4X.BIN) or the 5x (40NEO5X.BIN) profile? Scanlines look like crap on the 5x, but acceptable on the 4x.

They look even better on the 720 profiles, but those are only useful on displays with a native 720 or 4K (3 * 720) resolution, since upscaling from 720p to 1080p will be non-integer as well as introduce additional lag.

I'd also recommend using the "Deep Color Noise Reduction" variants if your display is compatible with them.

pixeljunkie
11-03-2017, 04:37 PM
Are you using the 4x (39NEO4X.BIN) or the 5x (40NEO5X.BIN) profile? Scanlines look like crap on the 5x, but acceptable on the 4x.

They look even better on the 720 profiles, but those are only useful on displays with a native 720 or 4K (3 * 720) resolution, since upscaling from 720p to 1080p will be non-integer as well as introduce additional lag.

I'd also recommend using the "Deep Color Noise Reduction" variants if your display is compatible with them.

Tried both - the 5x is the one I am having problems with. The image is larger than my screen.

The 4x looks great but is too small an image on my screen.

The default profile from Firebrand looks good, but I just can't get the scanlines right. Driving me nuts.