RGB Black suck and colors are a bit dull on Supergun Setup

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
Hi, I noticed that my AES outputs a much more balanced image color-wise than my vogatek, which has no RGB pots, sadly.
given that blacks are uglier and colors seem washed, is the signal too strong or too weak?
I'm going to mod the gun or build a scart plug with RGB pots.
Thank you!

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Straight RGB from a supergun setup is too strong for a standard tv. The aes has better colors because the vpp level is brought down by a voltage divider and then the onboard encoder also does some clamping to make the signal suitable for tv.

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
thank you for the reply! ;) so I guess it's very difficult to tweak the supergun signal in order to make it match AES color quality? (i should note my AES is very low serial, 1st rev with daughter board)
Straight RGB from a supergun setup is too strong for a standard tv. The aes has better colors because the vpp level is brought down by a voltage divider and then the onboard encoder also does some clamping to make the signal suitable for tv.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
thank you for the reply! ;) so I guess it's very difficult to tweak the supergun signal in order to make it match AES color quality? (i should note my AES is very low serial, 1st rev with daughter board)

Every pcb is different. There is no universal setting. You can try to find the best compromise setting across your boards so you won't have to adjust it as often but that's it.

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
sounds familar, it's the same as it happens with audio stuff ;) I guess that adding pots for R G and B levels could be of great help, right?the vogatek already has resistors on the video lines, but maybe they're too weak for my TV (i have tried it on other TVs and the color result was slightly better, while the AES didn't work at all on them lol)
Every pcb is different. There is no universal setting. You can try to find the best compromise setting across your boards so you won't have to adjust it as often but that's it.