I'm about to become unpopular REAL quick

benares

Kula's Candy
Today is the first day I've got a chance to use the 'old' Neo-Geo stick controller...

Man, this hurts to say this (almost like saying your a meat lover in a vegetarian forum) but this controller absolutely positively without a question the worst stick controller I have EVER used.

I have used MANY sticks in my day but this is NOT as good as everyone is giving it praise for. I'm willing to cut it a little slack since this was made in 1990. But even then there were better sticks than this.

When I think of a GOOD quality stick I'm thinking about ASCII's SNK and CAPCOM sticks over in Japan for the Dreamcast.

Is there any other choice?? Anyone been able to hook up the ASCII joysticks to the Neo-Geo??

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I like the control pads better because I hate the old style controller. I know what you mean.

JRock917

, ,
I am quite fond of the newer style sticks myself; they are very ergonomically designed and easy to use. I really think I like them better than any other sticks I have tried.

I

Iori

old-style all the way. I haven't used the others, heard too many bad things about the newer sticks and the pads just don't give give you the arcade experience you expect from a Neo-Geo.

BJMFH

Morden's Lackey
Really? The stick is the only controller out there that I can actually perform most of the fighting game motions on. On every other controller out there I can't do a dragon punch motion, but on this one I pull it off every time. The only game I can't do it on is World Heroes. On SS2 it's like second nature to me. Weird huh?

JRock917

, ,
yes there are, I know supersellers carries some of the other sticks; MAS systems has some really good ones too for the neo.

benares

Kula's Candy
I was on MAS systems site and went to the order portion - the Neo Geo stick is no longer listed so I'm assuming it's not sold anymore.

It would have looked good too!

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Just call up MAS and they'll probably have some to sell. Anything other than direct speaking might not work with them.

Todd

Galford's Armourer
I just ordered a mas stick last week but they were out of them. They said they were going to make more and ship them out when theyre made.

Cros

n00b
Personally, for fighting games I prefer controllers made out of real arcade parts (like what MAS offers). Anything other than a Happ Ultimate Joystick (what I am used to) just doesn’t feel right.

If you’re up to the task you could always try to build you own controller. Here’s a website that could help you out:
http://wrongcrowd.com/~arcade/

The instructions are for PSX controllers but should also work for a Neo.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Don't hear this complaint that often, but each to his own. I too would suggest the MAS stick. It is a real arcade stick, not some cheaper clone. Those are the best sticks on the market, but they are a bit stiff until you break them in. I think MAS will add a looser stick for $10 extra according to a friend who has one, but I don't know how long ago he bought it.

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
the joystick for the neo cart system

is the best stick EVER

F A C T

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I have the cd controller, new controller, and old controller. I don't have any problem w/ the old controller-it works fine
smile.gif

benares

Kula's Candy
Well I ordered my MAS Neo-Geo Stick today. Yay! They are going to be built this week and early next week then they are shipping.

I can't WAIT to get one of those beauties!

By the way, the shipping cost on that unit is HUGE! But then, everything Neo-Geo is expensive right? ;-)

Todd

Galford's Armourer
Yeah the shipping is $15 for ground delivery but the thing weighs 10lbs.

JRock917

, ,
hey, how much were those neo MAS sticks anyway- I remember them being below $100 per stick, I will just check out the site I guess. I think you will like them benares. I was really surprised you could get such a quality stick for such a competetive price. I might consider one of those for one of my other systems.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You have to give those controllers some credit tho. The control pad is sweet and i am surprized no one has tried to rippot off yet. But for true arcade experience , nothing defeats the classic joystick.

Todd

Galford's Armourer
The sticks cost $70 each plus the cheapest shipping was $15!!

benares

Kula's Candy
Yeah, $70. But my shipping is $25 because I wanted 3 day delivery. 2 day shipping was $35!!!

Yeah, the quality on these looks - well ARCADE quality.. hehe..

I was able to kick Rugals ass (KOF98) quite easily in KOF98 for the Dreamcast. But now I'm playing it on the Neo Geo w/ the Old sticks (hate these!) and hes just whoopin my ass....

BLAH BLAH KAH KAH!

wjw123

Krauser's Henchman
Originally posted by benares:
Yeah, $70. But my shipping is $25 because I wanted 3 day delivery. 2 day shipping was $35!!!

Yeah, the quality on these looks - well ARCADE quality.. hehe..

I was able to kick Rugals ass (KOF98) quite easily in KOF98 for the Dreamcast. But now I'm playing it on the Neo Geo w/ the Old sticks (hate these!) and hes just whoopin my ass....

BLAH BLAH KAH KAH!

Benares,

If these Mas Sticks make it easier to perform combo, I will get one too. Did you get more options ie turbo or
slow mode? Please keep us posted.

William

benares

Kula's Candy
Didn't know they came with a turbo/slow mode. I guess I should pay more attention?

No matter, even if it had those options I wouldn't use them. Ofcourse they would probably increase the value of the stick.

In any case, expect a thorough review of this stick once I get a hold of it!

JRock917

, ,
good deal man, I too would like to hear what you think about those stick, and how functional they are.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Insofar as I know from general knowledge, MAS long ago discontinued the turbo & slow-mo features on the Neo sticks, but perhaps for a fee they would install them? Actually they may have always been something the buyer had to request, but I don't know, I got mine second hand for $50, with the extras.

They function perfectly, they just need to be rested on something so they don't move around. I find them especially great for doing some of the more odd/complex motions of since-revised special moves/DM's in older Neo fighters. And the turbo/sloow-mo can be great for shooters, if you're into using such features.

Todd

Galford's Armourer
When i ordered my sticks i asked about the slow-mo and turbo's and they dont offer them anymore. I tink i might try to set them up with turbo when i get a chance!!
smile.gif